PS2 Mouse, USB socket: any hope? - Portable

This is a discussion on PS2 Mouse, USB socket: any hope? - Portable ; Kindly tell me if there is any hope for using my PS2 Trackman Marble+ mouse with a Thinkpad R50e, which only has USB sockets. I have purchased a female PS2 to male USB connector. What do I put in xorg.conf ...

  1. PS2 Mouse, USB socket: any hope?

    Kindly tell me if there is any hope for using my PS2 Trackman Marble+
    mouse with a Thinkpad R50e, which only has USB sockets. I have
    purchased a female PS2 to male USB connector. What do I put in
    xorg.conf on Debian?

  2. Re: PS2 Mouse, USB socket: any hope?

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 02:51:07 +0800, Dan Jacobson staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > Kindly tell me if there is any hope for using my PS2 Trackman Marble+
    > mouse with a Thinkpad R50e, which only has USB sockets. I have
    > purchased a female PS2 to male USB connector. What do I put in
    > xorg.conf on Debian?

    If the USB->PS/2 adapter works (it should), the mouse will be seen as
    /dev/input/mouseN . N will probably be 0 or 1. Check both. You don't
    really want to use /dev/input/mice for the X stanza here, I think, as
    the built-in Trackpoint reports things in PS/2 not IMPS/2. Like so:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USB mouse" # just put a unique identifier here
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # probably.
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouseN" # fix this
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # so wheel will work
    Option "Buttons" "N" # fix this
    EndSection

    ....there was probably no hope for using this thing with a PS/2 port
    unless it reported events using the bare PS/2 protocol. HTH,

    --
    I think I'll have to put on 500 pounds of subwoofers, amps, and other
    delicious herbs. --MegaHAL, trained on ASR