Getting a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter to Work in Linux - Portable

This is a discussion on Getting a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter to Work in Linux - Portable ; Dear Sir/Madam: I have a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter that I have been trying to get to work on my Linux laptop, but to no avail. The Linux distribution that I am using is Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS ...

  1. Getting a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter to Work in Linux

    Dear Sir/Madam:

    I have a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter that I have been
    trying to get to work on my Linux laptop, but to no avail. The Linux
    distribution that I am using is Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS running on the
    2.6.15-25-386 Linux kernel. I have installed the vendor (Gateway)
    provided Windows XP driver for this wireless USB adapter using
    ndiswrapper. I have also ran the /dev/MAKEDEV script, running this
    command with the argument, usb ("$ /dev/MAKEDEV usb") so that a new
    device node can be created for this USB wireless adapter. After doing
    all of this, I still can not get this USB wireless adapter to be seen
    by Linux, let alone to get it to work.

    I am not familiar with getting wireless USB adapters to work in Linux.
    With this in mind, does anyone have experience with getting USB
    wireless adapters to work in Linux, particular with this Gateway
    WBU-110 802.11b model? Could someone help me with this, step-by-step,
    so that I can get my USB wireless adapter to work? I would greatly
    appreciate any help and guidance regarding my post on this subject.
    Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

    Regards,

    Kevin Shen

  2. Re: Getting a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter to Workin Linux

    Kevin Shen wrote:
    > Dear Sir/Madam:
    >
    > I have a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter that I have been
    > trying to get to work on my Linux laptop, but to no avail. The Linux
    > distribution that I am using is Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS running on the
    > 2.6.15-25-386 Linux kernel. I have installed the vendor (Gateway)
    > provided Windows XP driver for this wireless USB adapter using
    > ndiswrapper. I have also ran the /dev/MAKEDEV script, running this
    > command with the argument, usb ("$ /dev/MAKEDEV usb") so that a new
    > device node can be created for this USB wireless adapter. After doing
    > all of this, I still can not get this USB wireless adapter to be seen
    > by Linux, let alone to get it to work.
    >
    > I am not familiar with getting wireless USB adapters to work in Linux.
    > With this in mind, does anyone have experience with getting USB
    > wireless adapters to work in Linux, particular with this Gateway
    > WBU-110 802.11b model? Could someone help me with this, step-by-step,
    > so that I can get my USB wireless adapter to work? I would greatly
    > appreciate any help and guidance regarding my post on this subject.
    > Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kevin Shen

    ndiswrapper, win32 driver - read the manual, it's fairly straightforward
    ..

    HTH

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

    http://dotware.co.uk

    Some people are like Slinkies
    They serve no particular purpose
    But they bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs.

  3. Re: Getting a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter to Work in Linux

    Jim,

    I have used ndiswrapper, the win32 driver and have read the manual, but
    my linux laptop STILL does not see my USB wireless adapter. Do you
    have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Kevin

    > ndiswrapper, win32 driver - read the manual, it's fairly straightforward
    > .
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > When all else fails...
    > Use a hammer.
    >
    > http://dotware.co.uk
    >
    > Some people are like Slinkies
    > They serve no particular purpose
    > But they bring a smile to your face
    > When you push them down the stairs.

  4. Re: Getting a Gateway WBU-110 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter to Workin Linux

    Kevin Shen wrote:
    > Jim,
    >
    > I have used ndiswrapper, the win32 driver and have read the manual, but
    > my linux laptop STILL does not see my USB wireless adapter. Do you
    > have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kevin
    >

    >>ndiswrapper, win32 driver - read the manual, it's fairly straightforward
    >>.
    >>
    >>HTH
    >>
    >>--
    >>When all else fails...
    >>Use a hammer.
    >>
    >>http://dotware.co.uk
    >>
    >>Some people are like Slinkies
    >>They serve no particular purpose
    >>But they bring a smile to your face
    >>When you push them down the stairs.

    um... natch, I'm out... I generally use Intel Pro2100 b/g PCMCIA cards
    with whatever distro I'm using... whichever ones don't support the card
    I just lob in the unpacked win32 drivers and run them through
    ndiswrapper, it usually works but I've had a couple failures due to
    faulty hardware (hey, they gotta show themselves either way, right?)

    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

    http://dotware.co.uk

    Some people are like Slinkies