How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege? - Portable

This is a discussion on How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege? - Portable ; I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an external parallel port floppy drive with it. I run slackware 10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the floppy ...

  1. How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege?

    I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an
    external parallel port floppy drive with it. I run slackware
    10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is
    functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the
    floppy drive connected to the parallel port - I assume it
    looks for it at the standard diskette drive port, which is not
    the parallel port on this system.

    Any way to make it work?

    Gianni

  2. Re: How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege?

    gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
    > I have a Portege 7000CT laptop and would like to use an
    > external parallel port floppy drive with it. I run slackware
    > 10.1 with all parallel port modules installed (parallel port is
    > functional). However, the system doesn't recognize the
    > floppy drive connected to the parallel port - I assume it
    > looks for it at the standard diskette drive port, which is not
    > the parallel port on this system.
    >
    > Any way to make it work?
    >
    > Gianni

    The BIOS is set to look for the external diskette drive at a
    port other than LPR1. It's a fixed setting that apparently
    cannot be modified by accessing the BIOS the
    standard way. Is there a way to tell the BIOS (or linux)
    to look for the floppy drive at LPR1?

    Thanks,
    Gianni

  3. Re: How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege?

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.portable.]
    > On 24 Jun 2006 07:54:39 -0700, gian3000it@yahoo.it
    > wrote:
    > > gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
    > > The BIOS is set to look for the external diskette drive at a
    > > port other than LPR1. It's a fixed setting that apparently
    > > cannot be modified by accessing the BIOS the
    > > standard way. Is there a way to tell the BIOS (or linux)
    > > to look for the floppy drive at LPR1?
    > >

    > In the BIOS setup you have to choose whether the parallel port is used
    > for a printer or a floppy or disabled.

    In the BIOS, at Parallel Port Mode, I have only two choices: "Std.
    Bi-Direct" and "ECP." I tried switching to ECP, but at Floppy
    Disk I/O I still get "Floppy Disk = (3F2H/IRQ6/CH2)" just as it
    was before - that is the port other than LPR1, and it is still a
    fixed value, non-changeable.

  4. Re: How do I use external parallel port floppy drive on Toshiba Portege?

    gian3000it@yahoo.it wrote:
    > In the BIOS, at Parallel Port Mode, I have only two choices: "Std.
    > Bi-Direct" and "ECP." I tried switching to ECP, but at Floppy
    > Disk I/O I still get "Floppy Disk = (3F2H/IRQ6/CH2)" just as it
    > was before - that is the port other than LPR1, and it is still a
    > fixed value, non-changeable.

    OK, that was under Peripherals. Under I/O Ports I do get four
    choices for Parallel Port: LPR1, LPR2, LPR3 and disable.
    But not a choice for external diskette drive.

+ Reply to Thread