Acer Aspire 3003NLMi overheating - Portable

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 3003NLMi overheating - Portable ; I am the owner of an Acer Aspire 3003NLMi laptop which I purchased brand new in late 2005. I am relatively pleased with my laptop in most aspects. I do however have one problem. My laptop seems to be running ...

  1. Acer Aspire 3003NLMi overheating

    I am the owner of an Acer Aspire 3003NLMi laptop which I purchased
    brand new in late 2005. I am relatively pleased with my laptop in most
    aspects. I do however have one problem.

    My laptop seems to be running at a high temperature most of the time.
    Generally the CPU temperature is in the region of 60C. This
    temperature is achieved when I use CPU scaling function of the Sempron
    3000+ processor to reduce the clock speed to 800MHz. But even when the
    sensors indicate this temperature, the bottom of the laptop is too hot
    to touch with bare hands. If I run a CPU intensive program and the
    frequency raises to 1800MHz, the CPU temperature rises quickly and to
    dangerous levels. I have even seen the temperature rise as high as
    90C. This I am sure is not at all good for the hardware. This
    prevents me from using my laptop to its full potential.

    Please advise me as to what I may do in order to solve this problem.
    May I mention that the laptop is kept on a table/hard surface hence the
    ventilation slots are not obstructed. Also, I bought this laptop
    because it came with Linux as the default operating system which I am
    still using. I have installed Ubuntu 6.06, so I would appreciate if
    your assistance/help would consider this fact.

    Thanking you and awaiting you response,

  2. Re: Acer Aspire 3003NLMi overheating

    shane wrote:

    > I am the owner of an Acer Aspire 3003NLMi laptop which I purchased
    > brand new in late 2005. I am relatively pleased with my laptop in most
    > aspects. I do however have one problem.
    >
    > My laptop seems to be running at a high temperature most of the time.
    > Generally the CPU temperature is in the region of 60°C. This
    > temperature is achieved when I use CPU scaling function of the Sempron
    > 3000+ processor to reduce the clock speed to 800MHz. But even when the
    > sensors indicate this temperature, the bottom of the laptop is too hot
    > to touch with bare hands. If I run a CPU intensive program and the
    > frequency raises to 1800MHz, the CPU temperature rises quickly and to
    > dangerous levels. I have even seen the temperature rise as high as
    > 90°C. This I am sure is not at all good for the hardware. This
    > prevents me from using my laptop to its full potential.
    >
    > Please advise me as to what I may do in order to solve this problem.
    > May I mention that the laptop is kept on a table/hard surface hence the
    > ventilation slots are not obstructed. Also, I bought this laptop
    > because it came with Linux as the default operating system which I am
    > still using. I have installed Ubuntu 6.06, so I would appreciate if
    > your assistance/help would consider this fact.
    >
    > Thanking you and awaiting you response,

    Try a bit of cleaning..............

    I have an Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi which is pretty much the same as yours and I
    only see a the CPU temperature is in the region of 60-65°C when I'm doing
    some CPU intensive operation like building a kernel. The normal temperature
    range is around 44-48°C when running at the 800MHz speed.

    The air flow is very important, the exhaust on the side should be cleaned
    with some canned air every two or three weeks (dust and other airborn
    matter can restrict the flow and increase temperature). Keep the area above
    the keyboard by the Acer logo (an air intake area) free of junk like
    post-it notes. The bottom air intake should be cleaned at the same time the
    exhaust is cleaned for the same reason.

    If possible get and use one the laptop coolers, it will raise the laptop
    around a half inch and allow more air flow to the bottom air intake areas.
    The front of both the laptop and cooler should pretty much match, this will
    help keep the unit 2-4°C cooler.

    If the laptop is still in the 60-65°C after cleaning consider opening the
    laptop and clean and apply some new thermal grease on the CPU/Heat exchange
    unit. If you do not feel comfortable in doing this take it to a service
    center and ask them to.

    FYI: 90°C is hot but is not quite a dangerous level for the CPU see;

    $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points
    critical (S5): 97 C
    passive: 93 C: tc1=2 tc2=3 tsp=40 devices=0xffff810037ee8a00

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Acer Aspire 3003NLMi overheating

    Lenard wrote:
    > shane wrote:
    >

    >>I am the owner of an Acer Aspire 3003NLMi laptop which I purchased
    >>brand new in late 2005. I am relatively pleased with my laptop in most
    >>aspects. I do however have one problem.
    >>
    >>My laptop seems to be running at a high temperature most of the time.
    >>Generally the CPU temperature is in the region of 60°C. This
    >>temperature is achieved when I use CPU scaling function of the Sempron
    >>3000+ processor to reduce the clock speed to 800MHz. But even when the
    >>sensors indicate this temperature, the bottom of the laptop is too hot
    >>to touch with bare hands. If I run a CPU intensive program and the
    >>frequency raises to 1800MHz, the CPU temperature rises quickly and to
    >>dangerous levels. I have even seen the temperature rise as high as
    >>90°C. This I am sure is not at all good for the hardware. This
    >>prevents me from using my laptop to its full potential.
    >>
    >>Please advise me as to what I may do in order to solve this problem.
    >>May I mention that the laptop is kept on a table/hard surface hence the
    >>ventilation slots are not obstructed. Also, I bought this laptop
    >>because it came with Linux as the default operating system which I am
    >>still using. I have installed Ubuntu 6.06, so I would appreciate if
    >>your assistance/help would consider this fact.
    >>
    >>Thanking you and awaiting you response,

    > Try a bit of cleaning..............
    >
    > I have an Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi which is pretty much the same as yours and I
    > only see a the CPU temperature is in the region of 60-65°C when I'm doing
    > some CPU intensive operation like building a kernel. The normal temperature
    > range is around 44-48°C when running at the 800MHz speed.
    >
    > The air flow is very important, the exhaust on the side should be cleaned
    > with some canned air every two or three weeks (dust and other airborn
    > matter can restrict the flow and increase temperature). Keep the area above
    > the keyboard by the Acer logo (an air intake area) free of junk like
    > post-it notes. The bottom air intake should be cleaned at the same time the
    > exhaust is cleaned for the same reason.
    >
    > If possible get and use one the laptop coolers, it will raise the laptop
    > around a half inch and allow more air flow to the bottom air intake areas.
    > The front of both the laptop and cooler should pretty much match, this will
    > help keep the unit 2-4°C cooler.
    >
    > If the laptop is still in the 60-65°C after cleaning consider opening the
    > laptop and clean and apply some new thermal grease on the CPU/Heat exchange
    > unit. If you do not feel comfortable in doing this take it to a service
    > center and ask them to.
    >
    > FYI: 90°C is hot but is not quite a dangerous level for the CPU see;
    >
    > $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points
    > critical (S5): 97 C
    > passive: 93 C: tc1=2 tc2=3 tsp=40 devices=0xffff810037ee8a00

    just because it's called a laptop doesn't mean it's suitable for the top
    of your lap. Yes, notebooks generally do get warm, part of it is due to
    poor design choices (the Dell C640 P4 uses a desktop processor, rather
    than a mobile - the things burn 70W /idle/ as opposed to the mobile
    burning 50 or 60 at full pelt!), part of it is what you choose to rest
    the unit on (ie carpet is no good, you're guaranteed to fry the thing. A
    hard table or better yet, a cooling mat [basically a sheet of aluminium
    with grilles and fans mounted underneath]) will help your laptop live
    longer.

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.