Lifebook 780Tx and dd - Portable

This is a discussion on Lifebook 780Tx and dd - Portable ; Hi, I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the moment. I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows. I would also like to put a wireless card in it so I ...

  1. Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Hi,
    I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the moment.
    I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows.
    I would also like to put a wireless card in it so I can connect it to my main Pc.

    This Pc triple boots Mandriva/Suse/Slackware. It has an ethernet card in it and connects
    to the internet through an adsl modem/router.

    I believe I should be able to put a wireless PCI card in it and thus enable connection of
    the lifebook to the internet.

    I also want to run remote X sessions from this Pc to the lifebook so all it has to do is
    display X apps, so harnessing the power of my main Pc which has 1Gig Ram and a Sempron
    3000+ processor.

    I bought the Lifebook cheap and it came without CD's. It just had win 98 on it. The
    Fujitsu website does provide drivers but these are for win95.

    I wish to do everything in stages.

    Stage 1 back up the LB ( lifebook )
    The LB has a 3.1Gig Hard disc Control Panel reports it as a ST310211A. I have a usb 10Gig
    disc with 3 fat32 partitions on it.
    What I propose is to boot the LB with DSL and use dd to copy the h/disc to the usb disc.
    Problem - I don't know the correct parameters for dd to make sure I copy all of the disc.
    I know it is dd if=?????( don't know of=???? (maybe /dev/hde1/lbimage)
    I believe that this- with the correct syntax would give me a file which I could use to
    restore the LB if everything fails.

    Can anyone give me the syntax please?

    After I have this done I would use some partitioning software to shrink the windows
    partition. ( I have already run scandisc ans defragged it ).
    Anyone have any recommendations. parted ranish etc?
    tia
    Norm

  2. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Norman Elliott wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the moment.
    > I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows.
    > I would also like to put a wireless card in it so I can connect it to my
    > main Pc.
    >
    > This Pc triple boots Mandriva/Suse/Slackware. It has an ethernet card in
    > it and connects to the internet through an adsl modem/router.
    >
    > I believe I should be able to put a wireless PCI card in it and thus
    > enable connection of the lifebook to the internet.
    >
    > I also want to run remote X sessions from this Pc to the lifebook so all
    > it has to do is display X apps, so harnessing the power of my main Pc
    > which has 1Gig Ram and a Sempron 3000+ processor.
    >
    > I bought the Lifebook cheap and it came without CD's. It just had win 98
    > on it. The Fujitsu website does provide drivers but these are for win95.
    >
    > I wish to do everything in stages.
    >
    > Stage 1 back up the LB ( lifebook )
    > The LB has a 3.1Gig Hard disc Control Panel reports it as a ST310211A. I
    > have a usb 10Gig disc with 3 fat32 partitions on it.

    The internal drive is actually a 10GB unit. Refer to:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st310211a.html

    > What I propose is to boot the LB with DSL and use dd to copy the h/disc
    > to the usb disc.
    > Problem - I don't know the correct parameters for dd to make sure I copy
    > all of the disc.
    > I know it is dd if=?????( don't know of=???? (maybe /dev/hde1/lbimage)
    > I believe that this- with the correct syntax would give me a file which
    > I could use to restore the LB if everything fails.
    >
    > Can anyone give me the syntax please?
    >
    > After I have this done I would use some partitioning software to shrink
    > the windows partition. ( I have already run scandisc ans defragged it ).
    > Anyone have any recommendations. parted ranish etc?
    > tia
    > Norm

    GNU Parted would do the job nicely, having a partition resizer which is
    capable of resizing FAT partitions (you might also find that missing 7GB).

    Sorry it isn't much, but HTH.

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

    http://dotware.co.uk

    Some people are like Slinkies
    They serve no particular purpose
    But they bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs.

  3. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:39:44 +0100, Norman Elliott
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the
    >>moment. I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows. I
    >>would also like to put a wireless card in it so I can connect it to my
    >>main Pc.
    >>
    >>This Pc triple boots Mandriva/Suse/Slackware. It has an ethernet card
    >>in it and connects to the internet through an adsl modem/router.
    >>
    >>I believe I should be able to put a wireless PCI card in it and thus
    >>enable connection of the lifebook to the internet.
    >>
    >>I also want to run remote X sessions from this Pc to the lifebook so
    >>all it has to do is display X apps, so harnessing the power of my main
    >>Pc which has 1Gig Ram and a Sempron 3000+ processor.
    >>
    >>I bought the Lifebook cheap and it came without CD's. It just had win
    >>98 on it. The Fujitsu website does provide drivers but these are for
    >>win95.
    >>
    >>I wish to do everything in stages.
    >>
    >>Stage 1 back up the LB ( lifebook ) The LB has a 3.1Gig Hard disc
    >>Control Panel reports it as a ST310211A. I have a usb 10Gig disc with
    >>3 fat32 partitions on it. What I propose is to boot the LB with DSL
    >>and use dd to copy the h/disc to the usb disc. Problem - I don't know
    >>the correct parameters for dd to make sure I copy all of the disc. I
    >>know it is dd if=?????( don't know of=???? (maybe /dev/hde1/lbimage)
    >>I believe that this- with the correct syntax would give me a file
    >>which I could use to restore the LB if everything fails.
    >>
    >>Can anyone give me the syntax please?
    >>

    > If it is an IDE drive,
    > if=/dev/hda (or hdb, c, d depending where you connect the drive)
    > For a SCSI, USB or SATA drive change "hd" to "sd".
    > of= a regular file or a block device of equal or larger size
    > conv=sync,noerror (just in case the drive has bad sectors. If it does,
    > you are just in time to make a backup!)

    Thanks.
    Update:
    repartitioned usb hard disc. Now 3.0Gig and 6.7Gig
    ran :
    dd conv=sync,noerror if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/sda5/win98

    This ran for about hour and half and failed with the following error:
    File size limit exceeded
    ls -l /mnt/sda5 gave
    -rwx-r--r-- root root 21477483647 Jun 17 19:42 win98

    So only part of disc copied.

    Is there some over-ride for file size or do I need to change /dev/sda5 to ext3 or
    something other than fat32?
    tia
    Norm

  4. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Jim wrote:
    > Norman Elliott wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the moment.
    >> I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows.
    >> I would also like to put a wireless card in it so I can connect it to
    >> my main Pc.
    >>
    >> This Pc triple boots Mandriva/Suse/Slackware. It has an ethernet card
    >> in it and connects to the internet through an adsl modem/router.
    >>
    >> I believe I should be able to put a wireless PCI card in it and thus
    >> enable connection of the lifebook to the internet.
    >>
    >> I also want to run remote X sessions from this Pc to the lifebook so
    >> all it has to do is display X apps, so harnessing the power of my main
    >> Pc which has 1Gig Ram and a Sempron 3000+ processor.
    >>
    >> I bought the Lifebook cheap and it came without CD's. It just had win
    >> 98 on it. The Fujitsu website does provide drivers but these are for
    >> win95.
    >>
    >> I wish to do everything in stages.
    >>
    >> Stage 1 back up the LB ( lifebook )
    >> The LB has a 3.1Gig Hard disc Control Panel reports it as a ST310211A.
    >> I have a usb 10Gig disc with 3 fat32 partitions on it.

    > The internal drive is actually a 10GB unit. Refer to:
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st310211a.html
    >
    >> What I propose is to boot the LB with DSL and use dd to copy the
    >> h/disc to the usb disc.
    >> Problem - I don't know the correct parameters for dd to make sure I
    >> copy all of the disc.
    >> I know it is dd if=?????( don't know of=???? (maybe
    >> /dev/hde1/lbimage)
    >> I believe that this- with the correct syntax would give me a file
    >> which I could use to restore the LB if everything fails.
    >>
    >> Can anyone give me the syntax please?
    >>
    >> After I have this done I would use some partitioning software to
    >> shrink the windows partition. ( I have already run scandisc ans
    >> defragged it ).
    >> Anyone have any recommendations. parted ranish etc?
    >> tia
    >> Norm

    > GNU Parted would do the job nicely, having a partition resizer which is
    > capable of resizing FAT partitions (you might also find that missing 7GB).
    >
    > Sorry it isn't much, but HTH.

    I have tried to set this up. My main PC does not like parted. When I tried to install it
    it started complaining about dependencies. I can't see how I could run this on the laptop
    so I expect I will ned someting else. Even parted-static wants parted-devel etc.
    tia
    Norm

  5. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Norman Elliott wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> Norman Elliott wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have a Fuujitsu lifebook780Tx which has win98 on it at the moment.
    >>> I would like to put Linux on it as dual boot with windows.
    >>> I would also like to put a wireless card in it so I can connect it to
    >>> my main Pc.
    >>>
    >>> This Pc triple boots Mandriva/Suse/Slackware. It has an ethernet card
    >>> in it and connects to the internet through an adsl modem/router.
    >>>
    >>> I believe I should be able to put a wireless PCI card in it and thus
    >>> enable connection of the lifebook to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I also want to run remote X sessions from this Pc to the lifebook so
    >>> all it has to do is display X apps, so harnessing the power of my
    >>> main Pc which has 1Gig Ram and a Sempron 3000+ processor.
    >>>
    >>> I bought the Lifebook cheap and it came without CD's. It just had win
    >>> 98 on it. The Fujitsu website does provide drivers but these are for
    >>> win95.
    >>>
    >>> I wish to do everything in stages.
    >>>
    >>> Stage 1 back up the LB ( lifebook )
    >>> The LB has a 3.1Gig Hard disc Control Panel reports it as a
    >>> ST310211A. I have a usb 10Gig disc with 3 fat32 partitions on it.

    >> The internal drive is actually a 10GB unit. Refer to:
    >> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st310211a.html
    >>
    >>> What I propose is to boot the LB with DSL and use dd to copy the
    >>> h/disc to the usb disc.
    >>> Problem - I don't know the correct parameters for dd to make sure I
    >>> copy all of the disc.
    >>> I know it is dd if=?????( don't know of=???? (maybe
    >>> /dev/hde1/lbimage)
    >>> I believe that this- with the correct syntax would give me a file
    >>> which I could use to restore the LB if everything fails.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone give me the syntax please?
    >>>
    >>> After I have this done I would use some partitioning software to
    >>> shrink the windows partition. ( I have already run scandisc ans
    >>> defragged it ).
    >>> Anyone have any recommendations. parted ranish etc?
    >>> tia
    >>> Norm

    >> GNU Parted would do the job nicely, having a partition resizer which
    >> is capable of resizing FAT partitions (you might also find that
    >> missing 7GB).
    >>
    >> Sorry it isn't much, but HTH.
    >>

    > I have tried to set this up. My main PC does not like parted. When I
    > tried to install it it started complaining about dependencies. I can't
    > see how I could run this on the laptop so I expect I will ned someting
    > else. Even parted-static wants parted-devel etc.
    > tia
    > Norm

    I have now found gparted-liveCd
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
    This provides a bootable system so I am going to try that.
    I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    Norm

  6. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    > Norman Elliott wrote:
    >

    >>> GNU Parted would do the job nicely, having a partition resizer which
    >>> is capable of resizing FAT partitions (you might also find that
    >>> missing 7GB).
    >>>
    >>> Sorry it isn't much, but HTH.

    Thanks,
    gparted and fdisk say the disc is 3Gig

    >> I have tried to set this up. My main PC does not like parted. When I
    >> tried to install it it started complaining about dependencies. I can't
    >> see how I could run this on the laptop so I expect I will ned someting
    >> else. Even parted-static wants parted-devel etc.
    >> tia
    >> Norm

    > I have now found gparted-liveCd
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
    > This provides a bootable system so I am going to try that.
    > I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    > Norm

    Gparted did the business!!
    When it booted the mouse pointer went wild. Totally uncontrolable until gparted had
    scanned the discs and was waiting for me to use it. This took about 10 mins.
    ( I only found out because I had gone off to answer the phone!*!* )

    Re-booted into windows, ran scandisc and defragged it again and all was well.

  7. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Norman Elliott wrote:

    > Thanks,
    > gparted and fdisk say the disc is 3Gig
    >

    >>> I have tried to set this up. My main PC does not like parted. When I
    >>> tried to install it it started complaining about dependencies. I
    >>> can't see how I could run this on the laptop so I expect I will ned
    >>> someting else. Even parted-static wants parted-devel etc.
    >>> tia
    >>> Norm

    >> I have now found gparted-liveCd
    >> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
    >> This provides a bootable system so I am going to try that.
    >> I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    >> Norm

    > Gparted did the business!!
    > When it booted the mouse pointer went wild. Totally uncontrolable until
    > gparted had scanned the discs and was waiting for me to use it. This
    > took about 10 mins.
    > ( I only found out because I had gone off to answer the phone!*!* )
    >
    > Re-booted into windows, ran scandisc and defragged it again and all was
    > well.

    but did you get your 7GB back?

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

    http://dotware.co.uk

    Some people are like Slinkies
    They serve no particular purpose
    But they bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs.

  8. Re: Lifebook 780Tx and dd

    Jim wrote:
    > Norman Elliott wrote:

    >> Thanks,
    >> gparted and fdisk say the disc is 3Gig

    >>> I have now found gparted-liveCd
    >>> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
    >>> This provides a bootable system so I am going to try that.
    >>> I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    >>> Norm

    >> Gparted did the business!!
    >> When it booted the mouse pointer went wild. Totally uncontrolable
    >> until gparted had scanned the discs and was waiting for me to use it.
    >> This took about 10 mins.
    >> ( I only found out because I had gone off to answer the phone!*!* )
    >>
    >> Re-booted into windows, ran scandisc and defragged it again and all
    >> was well.

    > but did you get your 7GB back?

    Well no. According to fdsik and gparted this is a 3Gig drive.
    The seagate one you mentioned is a three & half inch drive so wouldn't fit in the PC.
    A google search also showed an IBM drive with the same part number and
    This site: http://www.itbrugtsalg.dk/shop/defau...?ProductID=423
    says the drive is 3.2Gig.
    So I guess I have to accept that it is.
    Very strange.

    Since getting the partitions set up I have tried
    Debiad Sarge, Slackware 10.2 Ubuntu-6.06 which all failed miserably.
    I just could not get X configured. The display was off-set about a third to the right and
    the mouse was uncontrollable.
    I now have Vector linux working well.
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/

    dual booting windows and using the sata-2.4.29 kernel and using icewm

    Stage 3 will be getting wireless network cards for my 2 PC's and getting them working

    Norman

+ Reply to Thread