FC 5 on a Medion SIM2050 - no sound - Portable

This is a discussion on FC 5 on a Medion SIM2050 - no sound - Portable ; Hello, I just bought a Medion SIM2050 and installed FC5 on it without a hitch (the boot kernel of FC4 just panic'd when attempting to boot from the DVD). Everything is working fine except the sound. The recommended driver autodetected ...

  1. FC 5 on a Medion SIM2050 - no sound

    Hello,

    I just bought a Medion SIM2050 and installed FC5 on it without
    a hitch (the boot kernel of FC4 just panic'd when attempting
    to boot from the DVD).

    Everything is working fine except the sound. The recommended
    driver autodetected by the installer is snd-intel8x0.

    I have updated the kernel to 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5. No more luck.
    I have downloaded the ALSA sources from source forge and
    recompiled them. No better.

    The internal loudspeakers of the laptop do not produce any
    sound, even when boosting the levels (using alsamixer) at
    their maximum. The only 'sound' I could hear was when
    plugin a jack on external speakers and rising their volume
    to the maximum : the sound is distorded and still very low.

    I'd like to mention that I have tried every combination of
    switches and levels in alsamixer, as indicated in the README.

    # lspci -v | grep -i audio
    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
    82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)

    Kernel traces :
    May 31 13:26:09 XXX kernel: intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 55492
    usecs
    May 31 13:26:09 XXX kernel: intel8x0: clocking to 48000

    Interruptions :
    21: 364979 IO-APIC-level ipw2200, Intel ICH6

    Kernel version : 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5

    # lsmod | grep snd_
    snd_intel8x0 30876 1
    snd_ac97_codec 83488 1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_ac97_bus 2688 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_seq_dummy 4100 0
    snd_seq_oss 30208 0

    Any idea ?

    Thanks in advance,
    --
    Thierry

  2. Re: FC 5 on a Medion SIM2050 - no sound

    On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:50:14 +0200, Thierry Danis staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I just bought a Medion SIM2050 and installed FC5 on it

    Hm. How new is this machine? Does it have another model#, one starting
    with "MD"? There's no listing for a SIM2050 on
    http://tuxmobil.org/medion.html , which is usually a sign that you'll
    have some sort of hassle with it. Pioneers get arrows in their backs,
    after all.

    > Everything is working fine except the sound. The recommended driver
    > autodetected by the installer is snd-intel8x0. I have updated the
    > kernel to 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5. No luck.

    There have been many, many iterations of the intel8x0 sound chip. Each
    iteration is slightly different. If this thing is really new, the chip
    may be just different enough from previous iterations that the module
    won't work until the kernel guys get their hands on a machine with this
    exact chip and tweak the module a bit.

    > The internal loudspeakers of the laptop do not produce any sound, even
    > when boosting the levels (using alsamixer) at their maximum. The only
    > 'sound' I could hear was when plugin a jack on external speakers and
    > rising their volume to the maximum : the sound is distorded and still
    > very low.

    Hm. Sounds like something similar to what I described above; some
    register rearrangement or different I/O scheme is making everything not
    work like it used to.

    > I have tried every combination of switches and levels in alsamixer

    Groovy. I think the problem isn't one that can be solved with a mixer,
    though.

    > 00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
    > 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)
    > Kernel version : 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5

    Hm. I have the same chip in my Thinkpad T42p, but it's rev 01 (not 04)
    and is supported just fine in 2.6.15.6-vanilla. How do you feel about
    trying the latest vanilla kernel? I've just had too many strange and
    screwy bugs in distro-patched kernels to be comfortable using them for
    any length of time.

    > # lsmod | grep snd_

    [everything's cool]

    I'd guess that it's a problem with the chip being too new for the
    module. ICBW though. HTH anyway,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: FC 5 on a Medion SIM2050 - no sound

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:50:14 +0200, Thierry Danis staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    >
    >>I just bought a Medion SIM2050 and installed FC5 on it

    [...]
    > Hm. I have the same chip in my Thinkpad T42p, but it's rev 01 (not 04)
    > and is supported just fine in 2.6.15.6-vanilla. How do you feel about
    > trying the latest vanilla kernel? I've just had too many strange and
    > screwy bugs in distro-patched kernels to be comfortable using them for
    > any length of time.

    As per your suggestion, I tried a vanilla 2.6.16.19 kernel.
    No audible sound either. So, you might be right, the chipset
    revision is surely too new.

    >># lsmod | grep snd_

    > [everything's cool]
    >
    > I'd guess that it's a problem with the chip being too new for the
    > module. ICBW though. HTH anyway,

    --
    Thierry

+ Reply to Thread