Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives - Portable

This is a discussion on Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives - Portable ; Hi Ladies, Gents, Bots: The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big way), and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any recommendations for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently ...

  1. Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    Hi Ladies, Gents, Bots:

    The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big way),
    and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any recommendations
    for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently looking at 80Gb
    2.5-inch drives (not SATA) running at 5400rpm.

    Thaks in advance,
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

  2. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    Mark South wrote:
    > Hi Ladies, Gents, Bots:
    >
    > The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big way),
    > and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any recommendations
    > for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently looking at 80Gb
    > 2.5-inch drives (not SATA) running at 5400rpm.
    >
    > Thaks in advance,

    Got a 100GB Fujitsu in here, runs sweet as a nut. Ordinarily I'd advise
    against Fujitsu but they seem to have done something right in their 2.5
    inch form factor department. Their 3.5 inch drives suck, royally.

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

    http://dotware.co.uk

    Some people are like Slinkies
    They serve no particular purpose
    But they bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs.

  3. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:38:39 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> Hi Ladies, Gents, Bots:
    >>
    >> The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big
    >> way), and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any
    >> recommendations for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently
    >> looking at 80Gb 2.5-inch drives (not SATA) running at 5400rpm.
    >>
    >> Thaks in advance,

    > Got a 100GB Fujitsu in here, runs sweet as a nut. Ordinarily I'd advise
    > against Fujitsu but they seem to have done something right in their 2.5
    > inch form factor department. Their 3.5 inch drives suck, royally.

    I have a Seagate 100M, it's been reliable so far.

  4. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:48:00 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:38:39 +0000, Jim wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:
    >>> Hi Ladies, Gents, Bots:
    >>>
    >>> The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big
    >>> way), and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any
    >>> recommendations for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently
    >>> looking at 80Gb 2.5-inch drives (not SATA) running at 5400rpm.
    >>>
    >>> Thaks in advance,

    >> Got a 100GB Fujitsu in here, runs sweet as a nut. Ordinarily I'd advise
    >> against Fujitsu but they seem to have done something right in their 2.5
    >> inch form factor department. Their 3.5 inch drives suck, royally.

    >I have a Seagate 100M, it's been reliable so far.

    Another vote for Seagate here, especially if it has the 5 year warranty.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  5. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:38:39 +0000, Jim wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:
    >> The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big way),
    >> and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any recommendations
    >> for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently looking at 80Gb
    >> 2.5-inch drives (not SATA) running at 5400rpm.
    >>

    > Got a 100GB Fujitsu in here, runs sweet as a nut. Ordinarily I'd advise
    > against Fujitsu but they seem to have done something right in their 2.5
    > inch form factor department. Their 3.5 inch drives suck, royally.

    Thanks Jim. Fujitsu recommendation noted. Their 3.5 inch drives weren't
    always bad, either. I have one made in 1998 (8Gb) that still runs
    smoothly. It sees steady daily use: it presently runs the system for my
    LAN's FreeNAS-based fileserver.

    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

  6. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:48:00 -0400, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:38:39 +0000, Jim wrote:
    >> Mark South wrote:
    >>> The Toshiba disk drive in my HP portable failed yesterday (in a big
    >>> way), and so I need to pick up a replacement pretty soon. Any
    >>> recommendations for brands to specifically seek or avoid? I'm presently
    >>> looking at 80Gb 2.5-inch drives (not SATA) running at 5400rpm.
    >>>

    >> Got a 100GB Fujitsu in here, runs sweet as a nut. Ordinarily I'd advise
    >> against Fujitsu but they seem to have done something right in their 2.5
    >> inch form factor department. Their 3.5 inch drives suck, royally.

    > I have a Seagate 100M, it's been reliable so far.

    Thanks General, Seagate will also go on my shortlist.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

  7. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:17:21 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:48:00 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    > wrote:

    >>> Got a 100GB Fujitsu in here, runs sweet as a nut. Ordinarily I'd advise
    >>> against Fujitsu but they seem to have done something right in their 2.5
    >>> inch form factor department. Their 3.5 inch drives suck, royally.

    >>I have a Seagate 100M, it's been reliable so far.

    > Another vote for Seagate here, especially if it has the 5 year warranty.

    I was under the impression that only their SCSI disks come with a 5-year
    warranty - please enlighten me.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

  8. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:39:43 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:17:21 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:48:00 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
    >> wrote:

    >>>I have a Seagate 100M, it's been reliable so far.

    >> Another vote for Seagate here, especially if it has the 5 year warranty.

    > I was under the impression that only their SCSI disks come with a 5-year
    > warranty - please enlighten me.

    All Seagate disks come with a 5 year warranty.

  9. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:39:43 +0200, Mark South wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:17:21 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:
    >>>Another vote for Seagate here, especially if it has the 5 year warranty.

    >>I was under the impression that only their SCSI disks come with a 5-year
    >>warranty - please enlighten me.

    > All Seagate disks come with a 5 year warranty.

    Indeed, and it's been that way for the last couple of years. The press
    release at http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com/ is dated June of 2004.

  10. Re: Wanted: recommendations for 2.5-inch portable disk drives

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:15:39 -0400, John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>>I was under the impression that only their SCSI disks come with a 5-year
    >>>warranty - please enlighten me.

    >> All Seagate disks come with a 5 year warranty.

    > Indeed, and it's been that way for the last couple of years. The press
    > release at http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com/ is dated June of 2004.

    Indeed, I am (a) clearly out of date with my knowledge of hard disk
    warranties, and (b) far more enlightened than I was.

    Thanks to all who have replied so far.

    Mr Burns, to Smithers: "Continue the research."

    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

+ Reply to Thread