Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux - Portable

This is a discussion on Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux - Portable ; Hi On my Laptop HP zv5430us, amd64, nvidia geforce 4-440G, when I try to switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4, if I do that after the start up of linux (after Grub), it freezes the ...

  1. Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    Hi

    On my Laptop HP zv5430us, amd64, nvidia geforce 4-440G, when I try to
    switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4, if
    I do that after the start up of linux (after Grub), it freezes the all
    thing, nothing responds anymore, not-even Ctrl-Alt-Del, and both
    monitors are black.

    (until the Grub Menu, it works, then it doesn't anymore, before or
    after the start of xWindow)

    I have to power off / on to restart.

    I didn't find anythg on a google group search, apart a thread on a
    capture of the value of the Fn-F4 key, but for me it doesn't solve my
    problem

    Tried on :
    Mandriva 2006 (linux 2.6.12)
    Suse 10.0
    Suse 10.1 RC1 and 3 (linux 2.6.16)

    Maybe I have to unload a service, or to compile the kernel without
    certain option ?

    --
    TIA
    Regards,

  2. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    sebas22 writes:

    > On my Laptop HP zv5430us, amd64, nvidia geforce 4-440G, when I try to
    > switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4

    Are you sure that this is the right key? (not Fn-F7 ?)

  3. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    On 03 May 2006 10:12:10 +0200, Sven.Hartrumpf@FernUni-Hagen.de wrote

    >sebas22 writes:
    >
    >> On my Laptop HP zv5430us, amd64, nvidia geforce 4-440G, when I try to
    >> switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4

    >Are you sure that this is the right key? (not Fn-F7 ?)

    Hi Sven, tx for your answer,

    Yes, the symbol of the monitor is on F4 and Fn-F4 switches monitor
    under winXP (it's working normally there, of course, since it was
    obviously tested under winXP)

    Fn-F7 is for reducing luminosity

    --
    Best regards,
    Sebas

  4. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    sebas22 wrote:

    > switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4, if
    > I do that after the start up of linux (after Grub), it freezes the all
    > thing, nothing responds anymore, not-even Ctrl-Alt-Del, and both

    It's doing something with ACPI that is probably not implemented
    properly in the machine's BIOS.

  5. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    Sven.Hartrumpf@FernUni-Hagen.de writes:

    >sebas22 writes:

    >> On my Laptop HP zv5430us, amd64, nvidia geforce 4-440G, when I try to
    >> switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4

    >Are you sure that this is the right key? (not Fn-F7 ?)

    Every laptop is different. On mine it is F3

  6. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    In comp.os.linux.hardware zwsdotcom@gmail.com wrote:
    > > switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4, if
    > > I do that after the start up of linux (after Grub), it freezes the all
    > > thing, nothing responds anymore, not-even Ctrl-Alt-Del, and both

    > It's doing something with ACPI that is probably not implemented
    > properly in the machine's BIOS.

    The OP might want to see if there's some additional kernel module or
    userspace program that will help with that key combination. On my IBM
    Thinkpad R51, there's a similar key combination, but it does nothing
    unless I've got the ibm_acpi module inserted.

    --
    Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
    and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

  7. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    sebas22 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > On my Laptop HP zv5430us, amd64, nvidia geforce 4-440G, when I try to
    > switch to external monitor (LG Flatron L1910B) with the key Fn-F4, if
    > I do that after the start up of linux (after Grub), it freezes the all
    > thing, nothing responds anymore, not-even Ctrl-Alt-Del, and both
    > monitors are black.
    >
    > (until the Grub Menu, it works, then it doesn't anymore, before or
    > after the start of xWindow)
    >
    > I have to power off / on to restart.
    >
    > I didn't find anythg on a google group search, apart a thread on a
    > capture of the value of the Fn-F4 key, but for me it doesn't solve my
    > problem
    >
    > Tried on :
    > Mandriva 2006 (linux 2.6.12)
    > Suse 10.0
    > Suse 10.1 RC1 and 3 (linux 2.6.16)
    >

    > Maybe I have to unload a service, or to compile the kernel without
    > certain option ?

    Use the Nvidia drivers and setup twinview. That should work.

    Since switching to the external monitor is (mostly nowadays)
    a purely software thing, it's something that has to coordinate
    with the video driver... and I don't think Linux Nvidia drivers
    handle it.

    I haven't used the specific laptop you have... so YMMV.

    I know on some of the older compaqs, you could force it by
    connecting the external monitor, then closing and opening
    the laptop lid.

    But on newer ones, I just setup twinview.

  8. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:30:17 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    > Use the Nvidia drivers and setup twinview. That should work.
    >
    > Since switching to the external monitor is (mostly nowadays)
    > a purely software thing, it's something that has to coordinate
    > with the video driver... and I don't think Linux Nvidia drivers
    > handle it.

    Don't be ridiculous. Of course they support hotkey switching. Did you read
    the "Configuring a Laptop" section in the README.txt file?

    --
    Vladimir

  9. Re: Key Fn-F4 (switch to external monitor) freezes Linux

    Vladimir Florinski wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:30:17 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >>Use the Nvidia drivers and setup twinview. That should work.
    >>
    >>Since switching to the external monitor is (mostly nowadays)
    >>a purely software thing, it's something that has to coordinate
    >>with the video driver... and I don't think Linux Nvidia drivers
    >>handle it.

    > Don't be ridiculous. Of course they support hotkey switching. Did you read
    > the "Configuring a Laptop" section in the README.txt file?

    Hmm your're right.. I think I got stuck because I used to own
    a Toshiba.

+ Reply to Thread