Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136 - Portable

This is a discussion on Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136 - Portable ; Hi, Does somebody have some experience with the following laptops? Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136 Thx in advance and best regards, Andera...

  1. Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136

    Hi,

    Does somebody have some experience with the following laptops?

    Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136

    Thx in advance and best regards,

    Andera

  2. Re: Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136

    andrea.ferraris@gmail.com wrote:
    > Does somebody have some experience with the following laptops?
    >
    > Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136

    I have a D620. Tried to install Mandriva 2006, which kernel panics
    on boot, and does not recognize either the network card or video during
    installation.

    Next I tried Fedora Core 5. I was unable to do a hard disk install
    from the resized NTFS Windows partition - for some reason FC5 only
    allows installing off VFAT or ext2 partitions, unlike Mandriva which
    does recognize NTFS. Fortunately there were ext2 partitions left from
    the aborted Mandriva install and I moved the FC5 ISOs there.

    Installation went relatively smoothly from there, although I haven't
    gotten far beyond the basic post-install configuration steps yet. I have
    the WXGA+ display, and it looks like it will be necessary to run
    i915resolution in order for X to pick up on the 1440x900 display mode.

    Jon
    __@/

  3. Re: Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136

    Jon Leech wrote:
    > andrea.ferraris@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Does somebody have some experience with the following laptops?
    >>
    >> Latitude D620 or D820 and Tecra A7-101 or M5-136

    > I have a D620. Tried to install Mandriva 2006, which kernel panics
    > on boot, and does not recognize either the network card or video during
    > installation.
    >
    > Next I tried Fedora Core 5. I was unable to do a hard disk install
    > from the resized NTFS Windows partition - for some reason FC5 only
    > allows installing off VFAT or ext2 partitions, unlike Mandriva which
    > does recognize NTFS. Fortunately there were ext2 partitions left from
    > the aborted Mandriva install and I moved the FC5 ISOs there.
    >
    > Installation went relatively smoothly from there, although I haven't
    > gotten far beyond the basic post-install configuration steps yet. I have
    > the WXGA+ display, and it looks like it will be necessary to run
    > i915resolution in order for X to pick up on the 1440x900 display mode.
    >
    > Jon
    > __@/

    I've pretty much picked SuSE as the distro of choice for laptops.
    Haven't had a kernel panic yet, NVidia graphics goes in without a hitch,
    and the Vaio I just finished even has the memory stick pro reader covered

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

+ Reply to Thread