I loaded Kubuntu 5.10 into a Tecra 8000 with a 300mhz and 256 ram. There
were the screen and sound problems. Someone has a page with the fixes for
Ubuntu. I can not seem get it going with Kubuntu.

The screen problem is I do not know how to add the info into the file.
Tried a few different ways but ended with me re-installing the OS.
This is the instruction.

Add the following line to the "Monitor" section
of /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
HorizSync 36-52
VertRefresh 36-60

Any clue as to what is missing to make it work. The screen only displays
640X480 without this modification

Sound problem
Configure the ALSA driver manually
Copy the following into /etc/modprobe.d/sound :
alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2
options snd-opl3sa2 dma1=1 dma2=0 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 midi_port=0x330
port=0x538 sb_port=0x220 wss_port=0x530 isapnp=0

# some stuff for the OSS drivers
alias char-major-14 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# aliases for sound card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

Now add a line with snd-card-0 in /etc/modules to force the loading of the
driver at startup, and reboot.

There is /etc/modprobe.d/sound : Do I create it or does it go into
another file?
Any help would be appreciated.