Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops? - Portable

This is a discussion on Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops? - Portable ; I've got an old laptop I'd like to upgrade from Win95 to Linux or *BSD, but it's pre-USB and the PCMCIA slots are pre-Cardbus. If I plug in a Cardbus card (e.g. Wireless or USB), will it work, but more ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

  1. Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    I've got an old laptop I'd like to upgrade from Win95 to Linux or *BSD,
    but it's pre-USB and the PCMCIA slots are pre-Cardbus. If I plug in a
    Cardbus card (e.g. Wireless or USB), will it work, but more slowly, or
    will it not work at all, and will Linux be able to recognize it? The
    current disk drive is 1GB, which is big enough for smaller Linux
    distros like DSL or Puppy, but USB would let me do something more
    interesting, but otherwise I'm probably limited to Samba file sharing
    from a Windows machine over 10 Mbps wired Ethernet. Thanks!


  2. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    "billstewart" writes:
    > I've got an old laptop I'd like to upgrade from Win95 to Linux or *BSD,
    > but it's pre-USB and the PCMCIA slots are pre-Cardbus. If I plug in a
    > Cardbus card (e.g. Wireless or USB), will it work, but more slowly, or
    > will it not work at all, and will Linux be able to recognize it?


    It physically won't fit in the slot. The connector is different to
    prevent the error you're describing.

  3. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    On 2 Apr 2006 17:25:50 -0700, "billstewart" wrote:

    >I've got an old laptop I'd like to upgrade from Win95 to Linux or *BSD,
    >but it's pre-USB and the PCMCIA slots are pre-Cardbus. If I plug in a
    >Cardbus card (e.g. Wireless or USB), will it work,


    Sorry, not at all. The reason is simple, CardBus can be 32-bit PCI
    device, whilst the older PCMCIA are like 16-bit ISA devices.

    The CardBus bridge (chip inside laptop) may work with both 16 and 32
    bit, as well as cater for 5V and 3.3V CardBus devices. Older laptop
    PCMCIA bridges would not provide PCI the bus interface (since the
    laptop doesn't have one

    Older laptops? I have a Thinkpad 365X You can pickup older PCMCIA
    NICs second-hand, go for 'name' brands. I have three Xircom NICs that
    work well with linux:

    CE-IIps Credit Card Adapter (older 16-bit, 10Mbps),
    CE3B-100 (labeled: "PC Card 16 5V", 10/100Mbps),
    RBE-100 CardBus (for a later model laptop, 10/100Mbps).

    > but otherwise I'm probably limited to Samba file sharing
    >from a Windows machine over 10 Mbps wired Ethernet. Thanks!


    Are you running another linux box on local network? You can use
    NFS too.

    Also there's the PLIP option -- netlink via parallel cable.

    Grant.
    --
    Momento mori ( remember that you must die... )

  4. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    On 02 Apr 2006 17:36:53 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

    >It physically won't fit in the slot. The connector is different to
    >prevent the error you're describing.


    You're correct. Funny, I never thought to try that

    Grant.

    --
    Momento mori ( remember that you must die... )

  5. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    billstewart wrote:

    > USB would let me do something more interesting, but otherwise I'm
    > probably limited to Samba file sharing from a Windows machine over
    > 10 Mbps wired Ethernet. Thanks!


    I'm not aware of any 16-bit PCMCIA USB adapters; certainly none that
    work with Linux. There are 16-bit wireless cards; look for 802.11b
    cards (11 mbit/sec), not the faster 802.11g (54 mbit/sec). And make
    sure they specifically advertise 16-bit. Check the Wireless-HOWTO for
    lists of supported cards.

    -- Dave

  6. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    dhinds@sonic.net writes:
    > I'm not aware of any 16-bit PCMCIA USB adapters; certainly none that
    > work with Linux. There are 16-bit wireless cards; look for 802.11b
    > cards (11 mbit/sec), not the faster 802.11g (54 mbit/sec). And make
    > sure they specifically advertise 16-bit. Check the Wireless-HOWTO for
    > lists of supported cards.


    There's plenty of 16 bit 10mbps ethernet cards, so 802.11a doesn't
    really help. The problem is the limited speed of the pcmcia socket.
    You're just not going to get 54 mbps through it.

  7. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:36:53 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

    > "billstewart" writes:
    >> I've got an old laptop I'd like to upgrade from Win95 to Linux or *BSD,
    >> but it's pre-USB and the PCMCIA slots are pre-Cardbus. If I plug in a
    >> Cardbus card (e.g. Wireless or USB), will it work, but more slowly, or
    >> will it not work at all, and will Linux be able to recognize it?

    >
    > It physically won't fit in the slot. The connector is different to
    > prevent the error you're describing.


    Not necessarily true. Some laptops about 10 years ago (Toshiba for
    example) had slots that could be switched in the BIOS between Cardbus and
    PCMCIA, but will only run one kind at a time.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado


  8. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 02:43:25 +0000, dhinds wrote:

    > billstewart wrote:
    >
    >> USB would let me do something more interesting, but otherwise I'm
    >> probably limited to Samba file sharing from a Windows machine over
    >> 10 Mbps wired Ethernet. Thanks!

    >
    > I'm not aware of any 16-bit PCMCIA USB adapters; certainly none that
    > work with Linux. There are 16-bit wireless cards; look for 802.11b
    > cards (11 mbit/sec), not the faster 802.11g (54 mbit/sec). And make
    > sure they specifically advertise 16-bit. Check the Wireless-HOWTO for
    > lists of supported cards.


    The Zyxel Zyair B100 is a 16-bit PCMCIA card that uses the Prism chipset.
    They are widely available (ebay etc) and are known to work under Linux and
    BSD.

    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado


  9. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:50:51 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:36:53 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:
    >
    >> "billstewart" writes:
    >>> I've got an old laptop I'd like to upgrade from Win95 to Linux or *BSD,
    >>> but it's pre-USB and the PCMCIA slots are pre-Cardbus. If I plug in a
    >>> Cardbus card (e.g. Wireless or USB), will it work, but more slowly, or
    >>> will it not work at all, and will Linux be able to recognize it?

    >>
    >> It physically won't fit in the slot. The connector is different to
    >> prevent the error you're describing.

    >
    >Not necessarily true. Some laptops about 10 years ago (Toshiba for
    >example) had slots that could be switched in the BIOS between Cardbus and
    >PCMCIA, but will only run one kind at a time.


    One at a time 'cos only one slot My toshiba made in '99 has one -- but
    you're not reading OP's request. CardBus does not plug into PCMCIA slot,
    the other way is true, I already posted that info.

    Grant.
    --
    Memento mori ( remember that you must die... )

  10. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 03 Apr 2006 02:43:25 GMT, dhinds@sonic.net
    probably wrote (unless it was a Kook):
    > billstewart wrote:
    >
    >> USB would let me do something more interesting, but otherwise I'm
    >> probably limited to Samba file sharing from a Windows machine over
    >> 10 Mbps wired Ethernet. Thanks!

    >
    > I'm not aware of any 16-bit PCMCIA USB adapters; certainly none that
    > work with Linux.


    One Compact Flash USB 1.1 Host Adaptor card:

    http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...ges/cfu1u.html

    Oh, and look! It's a SL811HS that has a Linux driver. The only problem is
    that you may have to buy a powered USB hub.

    - --
    eval join"",map{chomp;s/^.+?>\s*//;$_}grep{/>/}; __DATA__
    .' .' Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price -- WolfSkunk Designs
    xX xX .' http://stalag99.net tygris @ same domain
    "X "X X .'
    _____. X" X >
    XXXXXXXx. X".' >
    '"XXXXXX| X >
    "XXX| X" >
    'XX' >
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFEMVEORCiTQGVX194RAt46AJ9t++xcPQYg3XlPGniK36 aB3BExIACdGg7n
    tUbQgOPQsN+YDqgYXkYBmMs=
    =BU58
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  11. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    redwolf@pandora.orbl.org writes:
    > One Compact Flash USB 1.1 Host Adaptor card:
    >
    > http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...ges/cfu1u.html


    I think this misses the OP's point, which was that he wanted something
    faster than 10 MBPS Ethernet. USB 1.1 doesn't really qualify.

    The fastest way to get those files off is probably yank the hard disk
    from the laptop and install it in another machine, or connect it to
    another machine through USB2/Firewire/etc.

  12. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > redwolf@pandora.orbl.org writes:
    > > One Compact Flash USB 1.1 Host Adaptor card:
    > >
    > > http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...ges/cfu1u.html


    > I think this misses the OP's point, which was that he wanted something
    > faster than 10 MBPS Ethernet. USB 1.1 doesn't really qualify.


    > The fastest way to get those files off is probably yank the hard disk
    > from the laptop and install it in another machine, or connect it to
    > another machine through USB2/Firewire/etc.


    The OP did not mention transfer speed being a key issue and I don't
    know why it would be. The system only has a 1 GB hard drive so 10
    Mbps would let you copy the entire drive in either direction in about
    20 minutes. I assumed he was interested in USB and/or wireless for
    reasons of convenience, not speed.

    -- Dave

  13. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    redwolf@pandora.orbl.org wrote:

    > http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...ges/cfu1u.html


    > Oh, and look! It's a SL811HS that has a Linux driver. The only problem is
    > that you may have to buy a powered USB hub.


    Neat. Though someone would still need to write PCMCIA interface code
    for this driver.

    -- Dave

  14. Re: Cardbus cards in Pre-Cardbus PCMCIA laptops?

    dhinds@sonic.net writes:
    > The OP did not mention transfer speed being a key issue and I don't
    > know why it would be. The system only has a 1 GB hard drive so 10
    > Mbps would let you copy the entire drive in either direction in about
    > 20 minutes. I assumed he was interested in USB and/or wireless for
    > reasons of convenience, not speed.


    Hmm, he said:

    The current disk drive is 1GB, which is big enough for smaller Linux
    distros like DSL or Puppy, but USB would let me do something more
    interesting, but otherwise I'm probably limited to Samba file sharing
    from a Windows machine over 10 Mbps wired Ethernet. Thanks!

    Maybe that means he wanted USB to connect an external hard disk.
    There are certainly plenty of PCMCIA 16 bit scsi adapters (Adaptec
    1460 and so forth), if that helps. It may also be feasible to simply
    upgrade the hard drive, or use a PCMCIA hard drive (8GB microdrive in
    a CF type 2 to PCMCIA adapter, or even a large flash card).

+ Reply to Thread