How do I get my copy of Knoppix ISO to work? - Portable

This is a discussion on How do I get my copy of Knoppix ISO to work? - Portable ; Hi, I would like to get my ISO copy of Knoppix to work. I would like to set up a dual boot system too. Would I first load Knoppix or Windows first? Do I need a boot disk to get ...

  1. How do I get my copy of Knoppix ISO to work?

    Hi,

    I would like to get my ISO copy of Knoppix to work.

    I would like to set up a dual boot system too.
    Would I first load Knoppix or Windows first?

    Do I need a boot disk to get it to work?

    Can I get Knoppix to work on a Fat32 partition?

    I've tried my ISO copy many times and the HD, doesn't recognize the
    Knoppix disk.

    I tried to load it on a Tosh 2545 CDS, a Tosh 2105 CDS and a HP
    Pavillon Ze4525.
    I tried to load it on a blank HD too, none have worked.
    What am I doing wrong?

    Does anyone have any pointers or sage advice for me?

  2. Re: How do I get my copy of Knoppix ISO to work?

    trybry@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to get my ISO copy of Knoppix to work.
    >
    > I would like to set up a dual boot system too.
    > Would I first load Knoppix or Windows first?

    The knoppix ISO image is a bootable copy of the CD, burn the image to a CD
    and reboot the system.

    http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

    > Do I need a boot disk to get it to work?

    No it is a bootable CD

    > Can I get Knoppix to work on a Fat32 partition?

    No need, it is a bootable CD

    > I've tried my ISO copy many times and the HD, doesn't recognize the
    > Knoppix disk.

    Because it is an image of a CD, see the howto burn link above.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: How do I get my copy of Knoppix ISO to work?

    trybry@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to get my ISO copy of Knoppix to work.
    >
    > I would like to set up a dual boot system too.
    > Would I first load Knoppix or Windows first?
    >
    > Do I need a boot disk to get it to work?
    >
    > Can I get Knoppix to work on a Fat32 partition?
    >
    > I've tried my ISO copy many times and the HD, doesn't recognize the
    > Knoppix disk.
    >
    > I tried to load it on a Tosh 2545 CDS, a Tosh 2105 CDS and a HP
    > Pavillon Ze4525.
    > I tried to load it on a blank HD too, none have worked.
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Does anyone have any pointers or sage advice for me?

    Your posting is rather puzzling (to me).

    First of all, my understanding is that Knoppix is intended
    to run from the CD without involving the HD at all.
    I'm not sure if it is intended for installation on the hard disk.

    In any case, the first question would be:
    does Knoppix actually run on your computer
    when you copy it to a CD, put the CD in the computer, and reboot?

    If it doesn't, are you copying the ISO image correctly to the CD?
    I think all CD writers (under Linux and Windows)
    have a special mode for allowing ISO images to be transferred to the CD.

    If you want to install Windows and Linux, I would install Windows first.
    (I think that is the usual advice.)

    Personally, for installing Linux on the hard disk,
    I would use a distribution intended for this purpose,
    eg Fedora, SuSE, Slackware, Debian (Ubuntu), etc.

    Knoppix is a great tool for seeing if Linux will run on your machine,
    and for repairing a damaged Linux installation.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366