Old laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on Old laptop - Portable ; Anybody have an old laptop they'd be willing to part with? For nearly all of my portable tasks, I'd rather use a PDA, but once in a while, the somewhat larger screen of a laptop would be nice. So does ...

  1. Old laptop

    Anybody have an old laptop they'd be willing to part with?

    For nearly all of my portable tasks, I'd rather use a PDA, but once in a
    while, the somewhat larger screen of a laptop would be nice.

    So does anyone have an old laptop that would be:

    1) At least capable of 1024x768
    2) Able to do wireless, at least 802.11b
    3) Have a battery life of at least a couple of hours
    4) Have at least enough horsepower to do VNC reasonably well.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Old laptop

    Dan Stromberg wrote:
    > Anybody have an old laptop they'd be willing to part with?
    >
    > For nearly all of my portable tasks, I'd rather use a PDA, but once in a
    > while, the somewhat larger screen of a laptop would be nice.
    >
    > So does anyone have an old laptop that would be:
    >
    > 1) At least capable of 1024x768
    > 2) Able to do wireless, at least 802.11b
    > 3) Have a battery life of at least a couple of hours
    > 4) Have at least enough horsepower to do VNC reasonably well.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Be on the lookout for a Dell Inspiron or Latitude C series - secondhand
    they're cheap and cheerful yet rock solid stable and Linux support is
    excellent, and considering this P4 (Latitude C840) pulls nine hours at
    full choke on one set of batteries, that same set of batteries... well,
    you'd be looking at /days/ of uptime on a PII.

    HTH

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread