Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4 - Portable

This is a discussion on Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4 - Portable ; Hi folks. I'm relatively new to Linux and want to do the switch over from the coporate OS. I recently purchased a Compaq Presario V2575 laptop that has a 54g 802.11b/g wireless card, and did a Workstation install of Fedora ...

  1. Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    Hi folks.

    I'm relatively new to Linux and want to do the switch over from the
    coporate OS. I recently purchased a Compaq Presario V2575 laptop that
    has a 54g 802.11b/g wireless card, and did a Workstation install of
    Fedora Core 4.

    I was able to get almost everything working on the system right off the
    initial install, but I'm stumped on how to get the wireless working.
    Obviously this is really inhibiting my switchover.

    Might anyone have any tips or a walk-through handy that would help me
    out in enabling this card on my computer?

    Thanks in advance,

    ryth

  2. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    xryanx@gmail.com wrote:

    > coporate OS. I recently purchased a Compaq Presario V2575 laptop that
    > has a 54g 802.11b/g wireless card, and did a Workstation install of
    > Fedora Core 4.

    What is the card? (Chipset?)

    There will be a different procedure to follow according to what chipset
    it is and how it is connected (some internal cards are connected over
    USB, though mostly they are Mini-PCI).

  3. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    Hi Z,

    It's a Broadcom 54g 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM SpeedBooster support.

    Thanks again.

    ryth

  4. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    On 27 Mar 2006 08:56:10 -0800, xryanx@gmail.com staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > I'm relatively new to Linux and want to do the switch over

    It's usually much easier to do that on a desktop than a laptop, because
    laptops usually have weirder hardware in them.

    > I recently purchased a Compaq Presario V2575 laptop

    Is the model# correct? There isn't anything listed for that model on
    http://tuxmobil.org/compaq.html . If it's really new or really weird,
    you may be in for more hassle than you want. If you get everything
    working, write up a page and submit it so they can link to it and save
    other people potential hassle.

    > Workstation install of Fedora Core 4. I was able to get almost
    > everything working on the system right off the initial install, but
    > I'm stumped on how to get the wireless working. Obviously this is
    > really inhibiting my switchover.

    "Obviously"? YMMV on this, but 802.11x is slower, more hassle, much
    less secure, and more expensive than wired Ethernet.

    > Might anyone have any tips or a walk-through handy that would help me
    > out in enabling this card on my computer?

    Impossible to say anything since you didn't provide the card's name as
    Linux sees it. Execute /sbin/lspci and post the relevant info. My
    laptop says:

    02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev
    05)

    ....if I do "lspci | grep -i wireless", so I obviously use the ipw2200
    module and firmware to get everything up and running. Many cards are
    supported in some way, some with Free stuff like orinoco_pci and
    ipw2200, some with a program called ndiswrapper around the evil Windows
    modules. Knowing the card's exact name will give people a place to
    start, and may lead to someone saying, "Do X, Y, and Z, and everything
    will work." HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  5. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    I just realised you were asking for the chipset. My apologies.

    It's running an AMD Turion-64 ML-34 (1.8ghz), 1 gig of Ram.

  6. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:56:10 -0800, xryanx wrote:

    > Hi folks.
    >
    > I'm relatively new to Linux and want to do the switch over from the
    > coporate OS. I recently purchased a Compaq Presario V2575 laptop that
    > has a 54g 802.11b/g wireless card, and did a Workstation install of
    > Fedora Core 4.
    >
    > I was able to get almost everything working on the system right off the
    > initial install, but I'm stumped on how to get the wireless working.
    > Obviously this is really inhibiting my switchover.
    >
    > Might anyone have any tips or a walk-through handy that would help me
    > out in enabling this card on my computer?

    Please post details of what wireless card you have. Is it built in? What
    brand, can you tell what version it is? What does "lspci" say, what does
    dmesg say when you insert the card or at boot?

    Information gooood.

    Also, start websearching for guides to using ndiswrapper, just in case.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

  7. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:18:20 -0800, ryth wrote:

    Please quote context in future, OK?

    > It's a Broadcom 54g 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM SpeedBooster support.

    In that case, "ndiswrapper" is the search term.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic
    globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado

  8. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    Matt:

    05:02.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown Device 4318
    (rev 02)

    As far the wireless, i realise it is inherently less secure, reliable
    and fast, however one of the primary reasons I aquired the laptop was
    for the roaming abilities as I am not often in ethernet-available
    areas.

    I really appreciate all the help that everyone is offering.

  9. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    ryth wrote:

    > It's a Broadcom 54g 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM SpeedBooster support.

    Unfortunately Broadcom keep all their technical details closed, and
    there are no native Linux drivers available. You can get the card
    working using ndiswrapper, as someone else suggested - this means
    actually taking the Windows driver and running it on Linux...

  10. Re: Laptop - Wireless Support - Fedora Core 4

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:31:07 -0800, ryth wrote:

    > Matt:
    >

    > 05:02.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown Device 4318
    > (rev 02)

    Works in Linux with ndiswrapper. I had to boot into Windows first to
    install the the latest driver from the Compaq site.

    John

+ Reply to Thread