installing Ubuntu 5.10 on Acer TravelMate 4152LMi - cannot detect CDROM - Portable

This is a discussion on installing Ubuntu 5.10 on Acer TravelMate 4152LMi - cannot detect CDROM - Portable ; hello. i've been trying to install ubuntu 5.10 on my laptop (Acer TravelMate 4152LMi), but with no success, the installer cannot detect my cdrom,and there for cannot load the install, nor the live cd, i do not have a floppy ...

  1. installing Ubuntu 5.10 on Acer TravelMate 4152LMi - cannot detect CDROM

    hello.
    i've been trying to install ubuntu 5.10 on my laptop (Acer TravelMate
    4152LMi),
    but with no success,
    the installer cannot detect my cdrom,and there for cannot load the
    install, nor the live cd,
    i do not have a floppy drive and therefore cannot load external drivers
    for the cdrom,
    which is by the way a DVD Burner (unknow firm, came with the laptop),
    i also tried each and every one of the manual cd-roms one can choose
    manually, and no success,
    so i was wondering (and praying hard) that maybe there is some code i
    can insert that will force the installer to acknoledge the excistence
    of my cdrom,
    any solution will do,

    lmkrav.

  2. Re: installing Ubuntu 5.10 on Acer TravelMate 4152LMi - cannot detect CDROM

    I found several threads reporting the same problem with ubuntu 5.10 and
    the acer model that you specified.Here is the thread
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu....15/+bug/21860

    someone with a different acer model reorted the same problem and how he
    solved it. Here is the thread for that.
    http://myy.helia.fi/~karte/acer_trav...ith_linux.html

    You might want to try this combination of boot parameters that worked
    for some others
    noapic nolapic acpi=off vga=771 pci=noacpi

    I hope this helps. There was mention of a buggy acpi in the bois of a
    couple different series of acer travelmates.

    Have a good day
    Damon

  3. Re: installing Ubuntu 5.10 on Acer TravelMate 4152LMi - cannot detect CDROM

    I found several threads reporting the same problem with ubuntu 5.10 and
    the acer model that you specified.Here is the thread
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu....15/+bug/21860

    someone with a different acer model reorted the same problem and how he
    solved it. Here is the thread for that.
    http://myy.helia.fi/~karte/acer_trav...ith_linux.html

    You might want to try this combination of boot parameters that worked
    for some others
    noapic nolapic acpi=off vga=771 pci=noacpi

    I hope this helps. There was mention of a buggy acpi in the bois of a
    couple different series of acer travelmates. There were comments that
    Fedora core 4 and debian sarg were both able to install

    Have a good day
    Damon

+ Reply to Thread