Nigel Cunningham, the creator of Suspend2, recently announced that he will
no longer be attempting to merge suspend2 into the kernel.

I have tried to use the in-kernel suspend1 functionality in the past. It
almost ended up screwing up my system. The available help indicated that my
BIOS was buggy because it was not following some standards. Apparently, a
significant fraction of laptops suffer from this. After a few days, I gave
up on it.

I then tried suspend2, and after each kernel recompile (some 10 compiles),
it has worked like a charm each time. No, suspend to RAM is flaky, but
hibernate works well everytime.

Nigel complains that he is facing all kinds of resistance from the kernel
maintainers about suspend2 - some say that the code is too big, and impacts
too many files (Nigel counts 12, I think). All bull****, IMO, because
unlike that piece of crap called suspend1, suspend2 WORKS. And to the end
user, that is what matters. There is talk of working on a lighter
alternative to suspend2, called suspend3. One wonders why that effort could
not merge into suspend2 AFTER it is merged into the kernel. Ego clashes at
work ?

I know kernel maintainers work very hard and I am every bit thankful to them
for the great OS they bring us, but isn't this state of affairs a trifle
ridiculous ? A piece of crap like suspend1 is kept in the kernel, that
rarely works on most hardware, while a far more complete product like
suspend2 is kept out for all kinds of unconvincing reasons.

One would like to know which is the brain trust that is making such
decisions ? Don't these people know that a piece of code has to first WORK
(yes, WORK) before you start counting how many lines it contains ? Mark it
as experimental in menuconfig if that is what will satisfy the internal
politics, but for Christ's sake include it !

If there is one functionality in which Linux lags behind Windows and OSX, it
is the suspend and hibernate functionality - and the best existing solution
to that problem is being ignored for reasons that make no sense at all to a
mere end user like me. In case, the geniuses are not aware, laptops
overtook desktops in terms of total number sold a few years ago, and the
gap between the two is going to only widen with coming years until desktops
someday become as rare as mainframes are today.