Advice on a new laptop please - Portable

This is a discussion on Advice on a new laptop please - Portable ; Hi All, re-posting to the portable group..... Trying to get the cart BEFORE the horse this time! I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just e-mails and general surfing (wireless). Would like to ...

  1. Advice on a new laptop please

    Hi All,

    re-posting to the portable group.....

    Trying to get the cart BEFORE the horse this time!

    I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just e-mails
    and general surfing (wireless).

    Would like to page those that know if there's a particular brand or style to
    purchase that will run Linux the best. (recognize the bells and whistles
    from the setup-to-go )- mouse-wireless - screen - touchpad, etc.....

    Probably will be a Pentium something - 540+ ram - 60+meg hard drive - cd/dvd
    read and write drive - built-in wireless(most are coming that way, but am
    open for suggestions)

    hoping to get under $6-700us.... $900 tops please. or ?????

    I am using Fedora4 on a box unit and liking it (from
    not-$o=good-ole-Window$...tired of the payout- don't mind paying for goods,
    but is getting more $$$ day-by-day)).
    Will be changing 80% to Linux by year's end (5 boxes now)

    I have a HP pavilion lap top that will NOT run Linux (or a version that I
    know of--- again open for ideas) Fedore4 will not utilize the screen -
    distorted views - any help WILL be appreciated??

    Many thanks in advance

    John b - new at the Linux thing and liking it . . . . so far!

  2. Re: Advice on a new laptop please

    > I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just e-mails
    > and general surfing (wireless).
    > Would like to page those that know if there's a particular brand or style to
    > purchase that will run Linux the best. (recognize the bells and whistles
    > from the setup-to-go )- mouse-wireless - screen - touchpad, etc.....

    One of the best resources for information on this topic is:
    http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    There you can research what success other people have had with specific
    models. Personally I highly recommend the IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpads.
    Not sure about there new lower price point model. But the T and R series
    work great.

    -Ben

  3. Re: Advice on a new laptop please

    THANKS - will have a peek - - - - jb

    "Ben Carr" wrote in message
    >> I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just
    >> e-mails
    >> and general surfing (wireless).
    >> Would like to page those that know if there's a particular brand or style
    >> purchase that will run Linux the best. (recognize the bells and whistles
    >> from the setup-to-go )- mouse-wireless - screen - touchpad, etc.....

    > One of the best resources for information on this topic is:
    > http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    > There you can research what success other people have had with specific
    > models. Personally I highly recommend the IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpads.
    > Not sure about there new lower price point model. But the T and R series
    > work great.
    >
    > -Ben

  4. Re: Advice on a new laptop please

    "jb" writes:

    >Hi All,

    >re-posting to the portable group.....

    >Trying to get the cart BEFORE the horse this time!

    >I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just e-mails
    >and general surfing (wireless).

    >Would like to page those that know if there's a particular brand or style to
    >purchase that will run Linux the best. (recognize the bells and whistles
    >from the setup-to-go )- mouse-wireless - screen - touchpad, etc.....

    >Probably will be a Pentium something - 540+ ram - 60+meg hard drive - cd/dvd
    >read and write drive - built-in wireless(most are coming that way, but am
    >open for suggestions)

    >hoping to get under $6-700us.... $900 tops please. or ?????

    Yeah, and I want a Porsche for $100.

    You will not get AFAIK 530 Ram 60MB disk for that price. Think about
    256/20GB. No wireless. a CDReader but not RW, and certainly not DVD write.
    And the chances of problems are relatively higher with the cheapest laptop.
    It will also be very heavy.

    Do you have a wireless AP in your house?

    >I am using Fedora4 on a box unit and liking it (from
    >not-$o=good-ole-Window$...tired of the payout- don't mind paying for goods,
    >but is getting more $$$ day-by-day)).
    >Will be changing 80% to Linux by year's end (5 boxes now)

    >I have a HP pavilion lap top that will NOT run Linux (or a version that I
    >know of--- again open for ideas) Fedore4 will not utilize the screen -
    >distorted views - any help WILL be appreciated??

    >Many thanks in advance

    >John b - new at the Linux thing and liking it . . . . so far!

  5. Re: Advice on a new laptop please

    "jb" writes:

    >Hi All,

    >re-posting to the portable group.....

    >Trying to get the cart BEFORE the horse this time!

    >I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just e-mails
    >and general surfing (wireless).

    >Would like to page those that know if there's a particular brand or style to
    >purchase that will run Linux the best. (recognize the bells and whistles
    >from the setup-to-go )- mouse-wireless - screen - touchpad, etc.....

    >Probably will be a Pentium something - 540+ ram - 60+meg hard drive - cd/dvd
    >read and write drive - built-in wireless(most are coming that way, but am
    >open for suggestions)

    >hoping to get under $6-700us.... $900 tops please. or ?????

    >I am using Fedora4 on a box unit and liking it (from
    >not-$o=good-ole-Window$...tired of the payout- don't mind paying for goods,
    >but is getting more $$$ day-by-day)).
    >Will be changing 80% to Linux by year's end (5 boxes now)

    >I have a HP pavilion lap top that will NOT run Linux (or a version that I
    >know of--- again open for ideas) Fedore4 will not utilize the screen -
    >distorted views - any help WILL be appreciated??

    What do you mean it will not run Linux? I have an HP Pavilion that runs
    Linux just fine. What problems do you have? What have you tried to install
    on it. I would try Mandrake.
    What does "distorted views" mean? Do you mean that Linux DID install? If
    not how do you get distorted views. If it did, what doesn "will NOT run
    Linux" mean?

    >Many thanks in advance

    >John b - new at the Linux thing and liking it . . . . so far!

  6. Re: Advice on a new laptop please

    Unruh writes:
    > >I have a HP pavilion lap top that will NOT run Linux (or a version that I
    > >know of--- again open for ideas) Fedore4 will not utilize the screen -
    > >distorted views - any help WILL be appreciated??

    > What do you mean it will not run Linux? I have an HP Pavilion that runs
    > Linux just fine. What problems do you have? What have you tried to install
    > on it. I would try Mandrake.

    There are many models of HP Pavilion and some of them use video chips
    with secret programming interfaces, so they're unsupported by
    nonproprietary X servers. That may be what's going on here.

  7. Re: Advice on a new laptop please

    Dear Unurh,

    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.

    Please see some answers to your questions and some additions in your text

    thanks again - jb

    "Unruh" wrote in message
    > "jb" writes:
    >
    >>Hi All,

    >>re-posting to the portable group.....

    >>Trying to get the cart BEFORE the horse this time!

    >>I will be shopping for a smaller laptop for the wife to use - just e-mails
    >>and general surfing (wireless).

    >>Would like to page those that know if there's a particular brand or style
    >>purchase that will run Linux the best. (recognize the bells and whistles
    >>from the setup-to-go )- mouse-wireless - screen - touchpad, etc.....

    >>Probably will be a Pentium something - 540+ ram - 60+meg hard drive -
    >>cd/dvd
    >>read and write drive - built-in wireless(most are coming that way, but am
    >>open for suggestions)

    >>hoping to get under $6-700us.... $900 tops please. or ?????

    >>Yeah, and I want a Porsche for $100.

    +++++++++++++ I'll take 2 - one for Sunday :>))

    ++++++++++++ One can ask for suggestions and a starting price range ?? OK
    ???? or ???

    >Y>ou will not get AFAIK 530 Ram 60MB disk for that price. Think about
    >>256/20GB. No wireless. a CDReader but not RW, and certainly not DVD write.
    >>And the chances of problems are relatively higher with the cheapest
    >>laptop.
    >>It will also be very heavy.

    +++++++ it will be for the wife.... and at home..... or in the car. . .
    weight is not the issue ... inexpensive - not sheep please... :>))

    >>Do you have a wireless AP in your house?

    ++++++++++++++++ - yes ....... The HP is on line (wireless )and will be
    using it (them) on=the=road too

    >>I am using Fedora4 on a box unit and liking it (from
    >>not-$o=good-ole-Window$...tired of the payout- don't mind paying for
    >>goods,
    >>but is getting more $$$ day-by-day)).
    >>Will be changing 80% to Linux by year's end (5 boxes now)

    >>I have a HP pavilion lap top that will NOT run Linux (or a version that I
    >>know of--- again open for ideas) Fedore4 will not utilize the screen -
    >>distorted views - any help WILL be appreciated??

    > What do you mean it will not run Linux? I have an HP Pavilion that runs
    > Linux just fine. What problems do you have? What have you tried to install
    > on it. I would try Mandrake.

    ++++++++++++ I mentioned Fedora 4 - will give mandrake a try - thanks -
    will dl it and cut disks tonight

    ++++++++++++++++ Will it set up the touch pad and the wireless card without
    a lot of tweeking??

    > What does "distorted views" mean? Do you mean that Linux DID install? If

    +++++++++++++++++ not instaled - during the "setup screens" - they are very
    distorted and hard to read. (the botton 1/3 of the screen was stretched out
    to be unreadable...
    I understood what was wanted (on the screend) cause I installed Fedora4 on
    my X-DOZ box.... quit the install before initilization.

    > not how do you get distorted views. If it did, what doesn "will NOT run
    > Linux" mean?

    ++++++++++++++++++ I know that there are many diferent versions of Linux
    out there and being new, was seeking advice on what to use instead of trying
    to re-invent the whole system. I am a user - not a professional
    programer,but am willing to learn......

    >>Many thanks in advance

    >>John b - new at the Linux thing and liking it . . . . so far!

    ++++++++++++++++++++ and as I mentioned above - NEW AT THE LINUX THING -
    and interested in suggestions

    TIA again - john b

+ Reply to Thread