Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..? - Portable

This is a discussion on Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..? - Portable ; I'm a bit of a heavy-handed typist and as a result my 5+ year-old Dell I7500's keyboard needs to be replaced. Thoroughly cleaning it will not do.. some keycaps are loose.. some keys not only send the code they should ...

  1. Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    I'm a bit of a heavy-handed typist and as a result my 5+ year-old Dell
    I7500's keyboard needs to be replaced.

    Thoroughly cleaning it will not do.. some keycaps are loose.. some keys
    not only send the code they should such as 'f' but also unless you are
    extremely gentle the code that corresponds to a neigboring key such as
    'v'.. etc.. no.. it is really falling apart and lately I've had to plug
    in an external keyboard because there have been days I was not even able
    to enter my password to login..

    I have found a number of online sites that sell this particular
    replacement keyboard for anything between $30-$50.. but I am not sure
    which reseller I should do business with.. Some sites even have more
    than one.. same part number.. but sold at different prices and no
    information as to why they are priced differently.. whether they are
    new.. refurbished.. sold "asis"..

    Naturally I don't want to waste fifty bucks on something that will only
    work marginally better than what I currently have and might start
    malfunctioning after a couple of weeks.. or even something that might
    not function correctly from the start..

    Not sure what I should look for.. what I should be careful about..

    Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:26:04 -0500, cga wrote:

    > I'm a bit of a heavy-handed typist and as a result my 5+ year-old Dell
    > I7500's keyboard needs to be replaced.
    >
    > Thoroughly cleaning it will not do.. some keycaps are loose.. some keys
    > not only send the code they should such as 'f' but also unless you are
    > extremely gentle the code that corresponds to a neigboring key such as
    > 'v'.. etc.. no.. it is really falling apart and lately I've had to plug in
    > an external keyboard because there have been days I was not even able to
    > enter my password to login..
    >
    > I have found a number of online sites that sell this particular
    > replacement keyboard for anything between $30-$50.. but I am not sure
    > which reseller I should do business with.. Some sites even have more than
    > one.. same part number.. but sold at different prices and no information
    > as to why they are priced differently.. whether they are new..
    > refurbished.. sold "asis"..
    >
    > Naturally I don't want to waste fifty bucks on something that will only
    > work marginally better than what I currently have and might start
    > malfunctioning after a couple of weeks.. or even something that might not
    > function correctly from the start..
    >
    > Not sure what I should look for.. what I should be careful about..
    >
    > Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    > keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi.
    Have you tried to get the original manufacturer's homepage and ask there?
    Even Dell ought to be able to help you. A good thing to have in mind is
    that they may tend to overprice in the (vain?) hope that you'll buy
    something new from them instead. (Been here...) What I told them, when I
    had to repair a friend's coffee-invaded laptop keyboard, was that that was
    already considered and that a competing company had won out if the repair
    would seem too costly. All of a sudden a lot of paper-rustling was heard
    and I was told that "Oh, I just discovered that we've got a new
    price-list (yeah, right). Now you can get it for xx euro's."

    Another repair was a Compaq (now HP) laptop. They had all info on the
    web-site (just required some digging).

    Compared to what the HP keyboard cost me (around $55), the quoted $50
    seems alright.

    For your own sake, don't fall in the trap of buying too cheap - you
    usually get what you pay for :-)

    HTH

    Jan, OZ1DKE.

    Have you considered going a little easier on the new keyboard?

  3. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    In comp.os.linux.portable cga wrote:
    > I'm a bit of a heavy-handed typist and as a result my 5+ year-old Dell
    > I7500's keyboard needs to be replaced.
    >
    > Thoroughly cleaning it will not do.. some keycaps are loose.. some keys
    > not only send the code they should such as 'f' but also unless you are
    > extremely gentle the code that corresponds to a neigboring key such as
    > 'v'.. etc.. no.. it is really falling apart and lately I've had to plug
    > in an external keyboard because there have been days I was not even able
    > to enter my password to login..
    >
    > I have found a number of online sites that sell this particular
    > replacement keyboard for anything between $30-$50.. but I am not sure
    > which reseller I should do business with.. Some sites even have more
    > than one.. same part number.. but sold at different prices and no
    > information as to why they are priced differently.. whether they are
    > new.. refurbished.. sold "asis"..
    >
    > Naturally I don't want to waste fifty bucks on something that will only
    > work marginally better than what I currently have and might start
    > malfunctioning after a couple of weeks.. or even something that might
    > not function correctly from the start..
    >
    > Not sure what I should look for.. what I should be careful about..
    >
    > Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    > keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I'd recommend parts-people.com which specializes in Dell parts. Had
    to replace th touchpad on a C600, cost me $9.95 + shipping and it was
    a brand new part, even though it was listed as a refurb. Also bought a
    new keyboard for my old CPi D300, $19.95 + shipping. Parts have always
    been shipped promptly and the prices are usually reasonable.

    Jerry

  4. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    Jan Sevelsted wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:26:04 -0500, cga wrote:
    >

    >>I'm a bit of a heavy-handed typist and as a result my 5+ year-old Dell
    >>I7500's keyboard needs to be replaced.

    [...]

    >>Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    >>keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >>
    >>Thanks,

    > Hi.

    Sorry.

    I missed your very useful replies/recommendations - due to the
    aggravation and inconvenience of freeing up the laptop's "PS port" -
    that DIN-looking thing - to plug in the external keyboard.. so I had to
    get the logitech trackball to work as a usb mouse.. there's only one of
    those PS ports - as I call them - at the back of this latptop.. add to
    it that I was working on an "etch" debian testing install on the
    laptop.. ambitioning to perform the quantum leap from a 2.4 to a 2.6
    kernel with all that largely undocumented (?) udev/hotplug/devfs stuff
    in my spare time when the laptop's keyboard began to act up.. well I
    just forgot to check the newsgroups for a few days..

    > Have you tried to get the original manufacturer's homepage and ask there?
    > Even Dell ought to be able to help you.

    I tried their web page but I could not find the place where they sell
    replacement parts.

    A good thing to have in mind is
    > that they may tend to overprice in the (vain?) hope that you'll buy
    > something new from them instead. (Been here...)

    That I will remember..! I had not thought of that and it makes very good
    sense..

    What I told them, when I
    > had to repair a friend's coffee-invaded laptop keyboard, was that that was
    > already considered and that a competing company had won out if the repair
    > would seem too costly. All of a sudden a lot of paper-rustling was heard
    > and I was told that "Oh, I just discovered that we've got a new
    > price-list (yeah, right). Now you can get it for xx euro's."

    So I called their parts dept. but it was already closed. In any case
    since I had found the part at the site recommended by Jerry Peters - and
    didn't feel up to haggling with a Dell rep tonight anyway I figured it
    might be a better idea to buy from a store that sells parts than a site
    that's really only interested in selling you new computers.

    > Another repair was a Compaq (now HP) laptop. They had all info on the
    > web-site (just required some digging).

    :-)

    Yeah.. I tried the search with just about every relevant keyword I could
    think of and for some reason the search engine appeared to be more
    willing to return information inviting me to acquire a Poweredge
    server.. After twenty minutes of digging.. I quit.

    > Compared to what the HP keyboard cost me (around $55), the quoted $50
    > seems alright.
    >
    > For your own sake, don't fall in the trap of buying too cheap - you
    > usually get what you pay for :-)

    Definitely..! I paid $15.00 for my external keyboard at Compusa.. and
    it's worth every penny of it.. and not a cent more... I really must
    budget $200.00 for a quality keyboard of the legendary Northgate type..

    In any case as far as typing *all* the keyboards they had at the store
    were of the same mushy wishy-washy (absence of..) quality.. The only
    real difference between the one I bought and the more expensive
    keyboards was the absence of all those "media.. internet.. whatever.."
    buttons.. thank goodness for that.. Pretty weird imho that the keyboards
    that they sell in stores these days are meant for anything *but* typing.

    > HTH
    >
    > Jan, OZ1DKE.
    >
    > Have you considered going a little easier on the new keyboard?

    Well what happened is that I used the laptop to do typing drills.. quite
    intensively..

    Probably not a good idea... and may have something to do with its
    untimely demise..!

    As I see it, one of the objective of drills is to build strength into
    the weaker fingers - I don't know what keyboard you use but on a
    standard PC-US it would appear that the right-hand pinkie does about
    half of the work. Try typing - ;p;[;];-;=;_;+;';";/;? - rapidly for
    instance..!

    Naturally, when I type emails.. memos.. programs.. etc. I use a much
    lighter touch.. But you are right.. if I want to keep this new keyboard
    in good working order for an extended period of time it might be a good
    idea to stick to the external keyboard when I practice typing..

    Thanks much for your interest.

    Chris.

    PS. It's been a while since you posted so I'm cc'ing you on this..

  5. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    Jerry Peters wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.portable cga wrote:

    [...]

    >>Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    >>keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >>
    >>Thanks,

    > I'd recommend parts-people.com which specializes in Dell parts. Had
    > to replace th touchpad on a C600, cost me $9.95 + shipping and it was
    > a brand new part, even though it was listed as a refurb. Also bought a
    > new keyboard for my old CPi D300, $19.95 + shipping. Parts have always
    > been shipped promptly and the prices are usually reasonable.
    >
    > Jerry

    Thanks much Jerry..! I liked the look and feel of the site and I ordered
    a keyboard that's advertised as new for just under USD 30.00. which
    considering the importance of a working keyboard sounds very
    reasonable.. Hopefully there will be no further/hidden problems that
    could come to light when the replacement keyboard is installed
    - like something wrong with the connector or whatever motherboard
    component the keyboard connects to.. (controller..?).

    Time will tell.

    All apologies for tardy reply - cf. my reply to Jan in the same thread
    for an explanation - and thanks for your recommendations.

    Chris.

  6. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    cga wrote:
    > I'm a bit of a heavy-handed typist and as a result my 5+ year-old Dell
    > I7500's keyboard needs to be replaced.
    >
    > Thoroughly cleaning it will not do.. some keycaps are loose.. some keys
    > not only send the code they should such as 'f' but also unless you are
    > extremely gentle the code that corresponds to a neigboring key such as
    > 'v'.. etc.. no.. it is really falling apart and lately I've had to plug
    > in an external keyboard because there have been days I was not even able
    > to enter my password to login..
    >
    > I have found a number of online sites that sell this particular
    > replacement keyboard for anything between $30-$50.. but I am not sure
    > which reseller I should do business with.. Some sites even have more
    > than one.. same part number.. but sold at different prices and no
    > information as to why they are priced differently.. whether they are
    > new.. refurbished.. sold "asis"..
    >
    > Naturally I don't want to waste fifty bucks on something that will only
    > work marginally better than what I currently have and might start
    > malfunctioning after a couple of weeks.. or even something that might
    > not function correctly from the start..
    >
    > Not sure what I should look for.. what I should be careful about..
    >
    > Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    > keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >
    > Thanks,

    www.laptopbits.co.uk are very good for finding and supplying keyboards.
    You'd be looking at somewhere in the region of 80 for a Dell keyboard;
    your other option is to get a C&N external keyboard (4.99 from all good
    stockists) or better yet, a rubberised, waterproof and foldable keyboard
    from The Computer Shop ( http://www.the-computer-shop.co.uk ) (NOT
    affiliated with Granville Tech.!), 14.99 or so.

    HTH

  7. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    Jim wrote:
    > cga wrote:

    [...]
    >> Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts
    >> - keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > www.laptopbits.co.uk are very good for finding and supplying keyboards.
    > You'd be looking at somewhere in the region of 80 for a Dell keyboard;

    No ****..!! USD 139.585 at today's exchange rate.. you got me worried
    now since Jan said that you get what you pay for.. and I only paid
    thirty bucks for mine..

    > your other option is to get a C&N external keyboard (4.99 from all good
    > stockists)

    that's rather reasonable.. I had to fork out 14.99 US dollars (+ tax)
    for the cheapest they had at the local Compusa..

    or better yet, a rubberised, waterproof and foldable keyboard
    > from The Computer Shop ( http://www.the-computer-shop.co.uk ) (NOT
    > affiliated with Granville Tech.!), 14.99 or so.

    Compusa does sell one of these - their own generic brand - but since I
    fancy myself as a touch-typist I really needed something a little closer
    to a real keyboard.. Not that the piece of junk I bought comes close to
    one..

    > HTH

    Cheers.
    Chris.

  8. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    cga wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> cga wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>> Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts
    >>> - keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> www.laptopbits.co.uk are very good for finding and supplying keyboards.
    >> You'd be looking at somewhere in the region of 80 for a Dell keyboard;

    > No ****..!! USD 139.585 at today's exchange rate.. you got me worried
    > now since Jan said that you get what you pay for.. and I only paid
    > thirty bucks for mine..
    >
    >> your other option is to get a C&N external keyboard (4.99 from all good
    >> stockists)

    > that's rather reasonable.. I had to fork out 14.99 US dollars (+ tax)
    > for the cheapest they had at the local Compusa..
    >
    > or better yet, a rubberised, waterproof and foldable keyboard
    >> from The Computer Shop ( http://www.the-computer-shop.co.uk ) (NOT
    >> affiliated with Granville Tech.!), 14.99 or so.

    > Compusa does sell one of these - their own generic brand - but since I
    > fancy myself as a touch-typist I really needed something a little closer
    > to a real keyboard.. Not that the piece of junk I bought comes close to
    > one..
    >

    >> HTH

    > Cheers.
    > Chris.

    Yeah, I was amazed at that price too. I replaced the keyboard on the
    old CPi D300 I use for travelling for about $25 including shipping. I
    certainly wouldn't have invested $140 in that machine; it's worth
    maybe $200 or so (which is why I use it when travelling, if anything
    happens to it I haven't lost much).

    Jerry

  9. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    cga wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> cga wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >
    >>> Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts
    >>> - keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> www.laptopbits.co.uk are very good for finding and supplying
    >> keyboards. You'd be looking at somewhere in the region of 80 for a
    >> Dell keyboard;

    > No ****..!! USD 139.585 at today's exchange rate.. you got me worried
    > now since Jan said that you get what you pay for.. and I only paid
    > thirty bucks for mine..
    >
    >> your other option is to get a C&N external keyboard (4.99 from all
    >> good stockists)

    > that's rather reasonable.. I had to fork out 14.99 US dollars (+ tax)
    > for the cheapest they had at the local Compusa..
    >
    > or better yet, a rubberised, waterproof and foldable keyboard
    >
    >> from The Computer Shop ( http://www.the-computer-shop.co.uk ) (NOT
    >> affiliated with Granville Tech.!), 14.99 or so.

    > Compusa does sell one of these - their own generic brand - but since I
    > fancy myself as a touch-typist I really needed something a little closer
    > to a real keyboard.. Not that the piece of junk I bought comes close to
    > one..
    >

    >> HTH

    > Cheers.
    > Chris.

    surprisingly enough, you can actually touchtype with the things. I'm no
    touchtypist, but I can maintain error-free rates upwards of 50 to 60wpm.

  10. Re: Good place to buy a new laptop keyboard..?

    Jerry Peters wrote:

    [...]

    >>Has anyone had good/bad experiences with sites that sell laptop parts -
    >>keyboards especially.. and might be able to make recommendations..?
    >>
    >>Thanks,

    > I'd recommend parts-people.com which specializes in Dell parts. Had
    > to replace th touchpad on a C600, cost me $9.95 + shipping and it was
    > a brand new part, even though it was listed as a refurb. Also bought a
    > new keyboard for my old CPi D300, $19.95 + shipping. Parts have always
    > been shipped promptly and the prices are usually reasonable.
    >
    > Jerry

    parts-people.com did a very good job.. I got the replacement keyboard
    last night.. it's the right part number and new as advertised..

    Installation was a breeze. Only problem is that this black plastic they
    used to dress up this particular generation of Dell laptops is
    apparently not supposed to outlive the warranty more than a couple of
    years (at best) before its becomes brittle and shows signs of turning
    into dust.

    There were already quite a few cracks on the underside but a new one has
    appeared - top left hand corner right next to the Esc key.. and as a
    result the new keyboard is somewhat loose in that area and gives a
    wobbly feeling when you type.. looks like the next step might be to
    change the laptop's case now.. And that's got to be a bit more
    challenging than a simple keyboard replacement..! parts-people also have
    this part in stock ($15.95).. it's getting late here in NYC so I'll
    check the Inspiron manual tomorrow and see what's involved..

+ Reply to Thread