Fan Control - Portable

This is a discussion on Fan Control - Portable ; Hi, I might well be being paranoid, but... I have just got myself a new Philips x60. The first thing I did was to get Linux installed. My current distro of choice is Suse 10, which supported my display, audio ...

  1. Fan Control

    Hi,

    I might well be being paranoid, but...
    I have just got myself a new Philips x60. The first thing I did was to
    get Linux installed.
    My current distro of choice is Suse 10, which supported my display,
    audio and wireless adapter with no issues whatsoever. Fantastic.
    However, I don't ever seem to hear the fan, and the box gets pretty
    hot. I have booted into windows and the fan runs.
    Shouldn't the BIOS control cooling?

    Any suggestions appreciated!

    Cheers,

    Tris

  2. Re: Fan Control

    ACPI should control your fan.

    Ensure that your kernel has enabled support for this ... and if it is
    modular then ensure that the modules are loaded (should be at least thermal
    and fan ...)

    --
    Living on Earth may be expensive,
    but it includes an annual free trip around the sun.

  3. Re: Fan Control

    Hi,

    Upon running acpi the system says that thermal is not supported...
    Shouldnt the BIOS control the fan to some extent?

    Thanks,

    Tris

  4. Re: Fan Control

    Hello community !

    Tris.Phillips@gmail.com wrote:

    > Upon running acpi the system says that thermal is not supported...
    > Shouldnt the BIOS control the fan to some extent?

    Hmm, how it is told that "thermal" is not supported ?

    I had to add both "thermal" and "fan" to the "initrd".

    You might accomplish that by adding "thermal" and "fan" to the variable
    "INITRD_MODULES" in [YaST] - [System] - [Editor for /etc/sysconfig
    files]. You need to look for "initrd" as soon as you started that YaST
    component.

    There is also a chance that the ACPI support of your maschine is broken.
    In this case two kernel boot options might be worth a try.

    acpi=noirq
    pci=noacpi

    Do tests with each and the combination of both.

    BTW: There are SUSE related NGs as well. news:alt.linux.suse and/or
    --
    Never give up !

    Best regards, Reinhard.

    Thread in "c.o.l.m": "Do we need wine ?"
    The best answer: "We certainly do. A man can't drink beer all the time."

  5. Re: Fan Control

    Thanks Reinhard, Ill give that a go.
    Tris

+ Reply to Thread