Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP - Portable

This is a discussion on Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP - Portable ; Hello all, I have Mandriva 2006 running on an older Toshiba Tecra 8000 and it's running GREAT, btw except for one thing - the cpu fan never activates therefore this unit runs pretty hot. Apparently it's not an immediate problem ...

  1. Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP

    Hello all, I have Mandriva 2006 running on an older Toshiba Tecra 8000
    and it's running GREAT, btw except for one thing - the cpu fan never
    activates therefore this unit runs pretty hot.
    Apparently it's not an immediate problem because I have had it running
    flawlessly for days, but I am worried about the long term affects as it
    "feels" abnormaly hot to the touch most of the time.
    Symptoms: When I reboot the laptop, the fan IS running... up until
    about init 5. In other words, the fan does work and the BIOS seems to
    know when to run it, and when not to, but soon as the "Interactive"
    startup occures when booting Mandriva, the fan stops and never runs
    whilst the OS is loaded, cpu stressed or not.
    Any one have any ideas??
    Btw, I don't think this laptop supports ACPI, as I can't seem to get it
    loaded (modprobe acpi produces errors and I've tried several options in
    lilo.conf) as well as there is no mention of ACPI in the BIOS. APM
    works, but as far as I can tell, it only is capable of monitoring the
    battery status and ac status.
    Anyone have an suggestions for a utility that may be able to control or
    monitor this fan/temp??

    Any help is MUCH appreciated!

    Jason

  2. Re: Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP

    ponga wrote:

    > Hello all, I have Mandriva 2006 running on an older Toshiba Tecra 8000
    > and it's running GREAT, btw except for one thing - the cpu fan never
    > activates therefore this unit runs pretty hot.
    > Apparently it's not an immediate problem because I have had it running
    > flawlessly for days, but I am worried about the long term affects as it
    > "feels" abnormaly hot to the touch most of the time.
    > Symptoms: When I reboot the laptop, the fan IS running... up until
    > about init 5. In other words, the fan does work and the BIOS seems to
    > know when to run it, and when not to, but soon as the "Interactive"
    > startup occures when booting Mandriva, the fan stops and never runs
    > whilst the OS is loaded, cpu stressed or not.
    > Any one have any ideas??
    > Btw, I don't think this laptop supports ACPI, as I can't seem to get it
    > loaded (modprobe acpi produces errors and I've tried several options in
    > lilo.conf) as well as there is no mention of ACPI in the BIOS. APM
    > works, but as far as I can tell, it only is capable of monitoring the
    > battery status and ac status.
    > Anyone have an suggestions for a utility that may be able to control or
    > monitor this fan/temp??
    >
    > Any help is MUCH appreciated!
    >
    > Jason

    On my desktop I installed the lm-sensors package and the fancontrol to
    measure the temp and control the cpu-fan.
    You may try.
    If you have a dual-boot, try Speedfan to get more info.
    Robert

  3. Re: Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP

    Google says the Toshiba Tecra 8000 is ACPI v1.0 ready.

    Check this thread:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...fans-spin.html

    --
    Living on Earth may be expensive,
    but it includes an annual free trip around the sun.

  4. Re: Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP

    ponga wrote:

    > Btw, I don't think this laptop supports ACPI, as I can't seem to get it
    > loaded (modprobe acpi produces errors and I've tried several options in
    > lilo.conf) as well as there is no mention of ACPI in the BIOS. APM

    Stupid point maybe, but you are aware that if APM is loaded, ACPI won't
    load, and vice versa? Make sure you have no APM module loading.

+ Reply to Thread