knoppix on bootstick? - Portable

This is a discussion on knoppix on bootstick? - Portable ; Hi, I'm able to boot my PC from a USB device and I bought recently a 2GB USB-stick and now I thought it would be interesting to put a linux on there. Am I i.e. able to put a knoppix-iso-image ...

  1. knoppix on bootstick?

    Hi,

    I'm able to boot my PC from a USB device and I bought recently a 2GB
    USB-stick and now I thought it would be interesting to put a linux on
    there. Am I i.e. able to put a knoppix-iso-image on this stick and then to
    boot from it, how would I do it?
    Thank You!
    --
    chEErs roN

    I'm root, I'm allowed to do this!
    keep on rockin'

  2. Re: knoppix on bootstick?

    Hi! This page might interest you ..

    http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

    "roN" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm able to boot my PC from a USB device and I bought recently a 2GB
    > USB-stick and now I thought it would be interesting to put a linux on
    > there. Am I i.e. able to put a knoppix-iso-image on this stick and then to
    > boot from it, how would I do it?
    > Thank You!
    > --
    > chEErs roN
    >
    > I'm root, I'm allowed to do this!
    > keep on rockin'

  3. Re: knoppix on bootstick?

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:14:01 -0800, roN wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm able to boot my PC from a USB device and I bought recently a 2GB
    >USB-stick and now I thought it would be interesting to put a linux on
    >there. Am I i.e. able to put a knoppix-iso-image on this stick and then to
    >boot from it, how would I do it?
    >Thank You!

    (warning - this is a little long, and from memory)

    I just did this yesterday. It was actually quite easy. The hardest
    part was shrinking Knoppix to fit, but your USB fob is big enough that
    you won't have to do that.

    Basically I just booted the live CD and copied it to the stick.
    Everything from /cdrom went directly to the FAT filesystem on the
    stick. Then created /boot/grub on the stick and copied the grub
    files to it. (I don't have my notes just now so I don't remember
    where the grub files are located). I also did:
    #touch /the stick mount point/boot/grub/fob_flag to put a marker
    on the stick's grub install. Then

    #grub
    #find /boot/grub/fob_flag
    (hd1,0) in my case
    #root (hd1,0)
    #setup (hd1) DON'T get this wrong or you will hose some other drive!
    #quit

    I edited /the stick/boot/grub/menu.lst to add entries as listed here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...ages_with_GRUB
    and added appropriate startup flags based on what was in
    /stick/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg The above reference will also help
    in general w/knoppix remastering issues. It is very complete.

    And after that it boots to grub on several machines - but not all.
    It seems that grub doesn't set some flag that many BIOSs require
    to recognize a drive as bootable (particularly Intel MBs). If I
    ran this tool in Windows BEFORE any knoppix install I could later
    boot it in all my machines
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20306.html
    I haven't figured out how to do this in Linux yet.

    This is obviously quick-and-dirty. I will do a better writeup and
    post it on www.beezmo.com in the next few days.

    It worked for me but YMMV.

    HTH,
    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  4. Re: knoppix on bootstick?

    roN wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm able to boot my PC from a USB device and I bought recently a 2GB
    > USB-stick and now I thought it would be interesting to put a linux on
    > there. Am I i.e. able to put a knoppix-iso-image on this stick and then to
    > boot from it, how would I do it?
    > Thank You!

    step 1: create bootable partition on flash drive*
    step 2: boot Knoppix
    step 3: install Knoppix on flash drive (DO NOT ERASE BOOTABLE PARTITION!)
    step 4: install bootloader onto bootable partition
    step 5: restart system

    jobbed.

    *For a flash drive to be bootable you need to run MS-DOS FDISK.EXE from
    a boot floppy (having disconnected all your hard disks); this will put
    your USB flash drive FIRST in the drive letter sequence. Having booted
    with the flashdrive inserted, run FDISK and create the primary
    partition. This only need be 5MB. Set the partition type to ACTIVE, then
    commit and reboot.
    Format the c: drive using: FORMAT /S C: - this copies the system files
    onto the drive.
    Again with FDISK, type: FDISK /MBR - this writes the master boot record.
    Your flash drive is now bootable.

    Boot Knoppix...

    HTH

    Jim

  5. Re: knoppix on bootstick?

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:34:02 -0800, Bill Waddington
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:14:01 -0800, roN wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm able to boot my PC from a USB device and I bought recently a 2GB
    >>USB-stick and now I thought it would be interesting to put a linux on
    >>there. Am I i.e. able to put a knoppix-iso-image on this stick and then to
    >>boot from it, how would I do it?
    >>Thank You!

    >(warning - this is a little long, and from memory)
    >
    >I just did this yesterday. It was actually quite easy. The hardest
    >part was shrinking Knoppix to fit, but your USB fob is big enough that
    >you won't have to do that.
    >
    >Basically I just booted the live CD and copied it to the stick.
    >Everything from /cdrom went directly to the FAT filesystem on the
    >stick. Then created /boot/grub on the stick and copied the grub
    >files to it. (I don't have my notes just now so I don't remember
    >where the grub files are located). I also did:
    >#touch /the stick mount point/boot/grub/fob_flag to put a marker
    >on the stick's grub install. Then
    >
    >#grub
    >#find /boot/grub/fob_flag
    > (hd1,0) in my case
    >#root (hd1,0)
    >#setup (hd1) DON'T get this wrong or you will hose some other drive!
    >#quit
    >
    >I edited /the stick/boot/grub/menu.lst to add entries as listed here:
    >http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...ages_with_GRUB
    >and added appropriate startup flags based on what was in
    >/stick/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg The above reference will also help
    >in general w/knoppix remastering issues. It is very complete.
    >
    >And after that it boots to grub on several machines - but not all.
    >It seems that grub doesn't set some flag that many BIOSs require
    >to recognize a drive as bootable (particularly Intel MBs). If I
    >ran this tool in Windows BEFORE any knoppix install I could later
    >boot it in all my machines
    >http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/20306.html
    >I haven't figured out how to do this in Linux yet.
    >
    >This is obviously quick-and-dirty. I will do a better writeup and
    >post it on www.beezmo.com in the next few days.
    >
    >It worked for me but YMMV.

    Revisiting this, to make a USB fob bootable:

    With a fresh out-of-the box SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1G, all that was
    necessary was to mark its single partition active using fdisk and then
    do a grub install. Then install Knoppix or whatever and point grub
    at it. It was that simple w/a new fob.

    I'm still digging into the varying bootability on different BIOSs.
    The Intel Mobo I'm testing on is VERY picky about the exact FAT and
    filesystem. If I use the HP utility (above) to format the stick (it
    isn't necessary to install DOS boot files) I can install grub and boot
    it on the Intel and my other systems. If I format with Linux mkdosfs
    or with XP's format utility before installing grub, the stick becomes
    unbootable on the Intel BIOS but still boots fine on my other test
    machines. ????

    I stuck a write-up at http://www.beezmo.com/FloobyDust.htm -> knoppix
    on flash. It works for me but I don't think this is the whole story.

    Corrections and additions appreciated.

    Bill