Music/linux/laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on Music/linux/laptop - Portable ; My mate hates windows (has a mac for his music work) He's not too keen on the new mac laptops. So he's looking at linux. Just wondering what programs on linux work like ableton, cubase, reason, serato? He's after running ...

  1. Music/linux/laptop

    My mate hates windows (has a mac for his music work) He's not too keen on
    the new mac laptops. So he's looking at linux. Just wondering what programs
    on linux work like ableton, cubase, reason, serato?

    He's after running them on a laptop too.

    Any pointers?

    --
    ....You will all feel the wrath of donkey...
    Hall of Fame Class of 2005

  2. Re: Music/linux/laptop

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:27:16 +0000, Donkey Chops wrote:

    > My mate hates windows (has a mac for his music work) He's not too keen on
    > the new mac laptops. So he's looking at linux. Just wondering what programs
    > on linux work like ableton, cubase, reason, serato?
    >
    > He's after running them on a laptop too.
    >
    > Any pointers?

    This is something I have experimented in and helped a friend of mine
    setup. He had a nice "classic" Roland JD-990 and a Juniper hybrid
    digital/analog synth. We actually got Rosegarden/Muse working with it
    all using a MIDIMan 2x2 MIDI -> USB box.

    Check out this site:
    http://sound.condorow.net/

    It has everything you ever need to know about audio on Linux including
    sequencers, effects processors, soft synths, MIDI applications. Be sure to
    check out JACK (which is a professional-quality low-latency audio server
    and transport control interface) kind of like a virtual patch panel.

    I recommend you check out:

    Rosegarden:
    http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

    Muse:
    http://muse-sequencer.org/

    Ardour:
    http://ardour.org/

    Audacity:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    Good luck! I am sure your friend will find all he needs on Linux.

    --
    Nick DePetrillo
    Network Security Engineer

  3. Re: Music/linux/laptop

    Cheers )
    Will forward it on

    --

    "Nicholas DePetrillo" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.02.08.14.07.02.417775@oshean.org...
    > On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 12:27:16 +0000, Donkey Chops wrote:
    >
    > > My mate hates windows (has a mac for his music work) He's not too keen

    on
    > > the new mac laptops. So he's looking at linux. Just wondering what

    programs
    > > on linux work like ableton, cubase, reason, serato?
    > >
    > > He's after running them on a laptop too.
    > >
    > > Any pointers?

    > This is something I have experimented in and helped a friend of mine
    > setup. He had a nice "classic" Roland JD-990 and a Juniper hybrid
    > digital/analog synth. We actually got Rosegarden/Muse working with it
    > all using a MIDIMan 2x2 MIDI -> USB box.
    >
    > Check out this site:
    > http://sound.condorow.net/
    >
    > It has everything you ever need to know about audio on Linux including
    > sequencers, effects processors, soft synths, MIDI applications. Be sure to
    > check out JACK (which is a professional-quality low-latency audio server
    > and transport control interface) kind of like a virtual patch panel.
    >
    > I recommend you check out:
    >
    > Rosegarden:
    > http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
    >
    > Muse:
    > http://muse-sequencer.org/
    >
    > Ardour:
    > http://ardour.org/
    >
    > Audacity:
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Good luck! I am sure your friend will find all he needs on Linux.
    >
    > --
    > Nick DePetrillo
    > Network Security Engineer
    > OSHEAN