After much work and lots of searching I finally found out how to get
sound going on the Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook with the Linux 2.6.x
kernel, so I wanted to share it so hopefully others won't need to go
through the hell I did So here it goes!

Here is what I am running, but everything should apply just the same
for any linux 2.6 kernel;
*Mandrake 2006 (2.6.8 kernel)
*Alsa version 1.0.6
*The card in this laptop is an ISA, NON-PnP Yamaha chip.

A couple things first, use ALSA! However, don't even bother running
alsaconf because it won't detect your card properly. Also, your BIOS
has information on what I/O addresses this Yamaha chip is using. Mine
are the defaults so if you are using anything else, you will need to
modify the config a little.

1) Now, first thing is first, make sure alsa is installed. I used urpmi
and the packages that are required/useful are:
libalsa-data-1.0.9-1mdk
alsaconf-1.0.9-4mdk
libalsa-oss0-1.0.9-1mdk
xmms-alsa-1.2.10-20mdk # ~~under xmms prefs, change to use native alsa
for output, I think it sounds better anyway!~~
libalsa2-1.0.9-1mdk
alsa-utils-1.0.9-4mdk
~
Be sure alsa is stopped before proceeding. #service alsa stop

2) Now that alsa is installed, you need to modify the file
'\etc\modprobe.conf' and remove anything related to alsa that may
already be in there and add these lines (watch for word-wrap):
# Alsa config
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2
options snd-opl3sa2 port=0x538 wss_port=0x530 midi_port=0x330
fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0 isapnp=0
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# EOF
What happens is when your system starts up, moprobe reads this file and
loads the appropriate modules, namely the 'snd-opl3sa2' module!

3) Now, your system is setup for sound, but not every app has native
alsa support, so we need to load the alsa-oss emulation modules. We
need to load these modules: 'snd-pcm-oss' and 'snd-mixer-oss' - BE
CAREFUL! If you load these drivers first, then start alsa... these
modules will be unloaded, so on Mandrake, there is an init script
called 'sound' in the /etc/init.d/ directory. So I added the following
lines to the bottom of the script:
# script to load snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss modules.
pcm_loaded=`lsmod | grep snd-pcm-oss`
mixer_loaded=`lsmod | grep snd-mixer-oss`
if [ "$pcm_loaded" = "snd-pcm-oss" ]; then
return 0
else
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
if [ "$mixer_loaded" = "snd-mixer-oss" ]; then
return 0
else
modprobe snd-mixer-oss
fi
fi

4) So, everyting is now ready!! Make sure the alsa service is setup to
start on bootup and the sound init script is set to start up AFTER alsa
starts... Reboot your system, make sure the volume levels are okay and
that pcm and master are not muted using alsamixer and sound ye shall
have!!

Enjoy!
-Jason