Two wireless problems, Latitude D410, Fedora Core 4 - Portable

This is a discussion on Two wireless problems, Latitude D410, Fedora Core 4 - Portable ; Hello, I am having two problems with the wireless on my laptop. First, it is quite an ordeal trying to connect to a particular hotspot, I think I am doing it the hard way and am hoping someone can tell ...

  1. Two wireless problems, Latitude D410, Fedora Core 4

    Hello,

    I am having two problems with the wireless on my laptop.

    First, it is quite an ordeal trying to connect to a particular
    hotspot, I think I am doing it the hard way and am hoping someone can
    tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using the gnome network tool and
    the KWiFiManager as tools. When I boot my computer the network is
    automatically set to ethernet. That is okay, but when I want to
    connect to a wireless network I pick one using KWiFiManager, then
    deactivate the ethernet using the gnome network tool. If I then
    immediately use the gnome network tool to activate the wireless
    network, the KWiFiManager claims that there are no networks out there
    and the gnome network tool fails to establish a connection. To
    actually get a connection I find that I am required to start up the
    KWiFiManager's configuration editor. I need to have a configuration
    set up for the particular hotspot I want to connect to and then I can
    line up the "activate" button on the gnome network tool with the
    "activate" button on the configuration editor. If I am quick, I can
    click on the gnome network tool's "activate" button and then click on
    the KWiFiManager's configuration editors "activate" button before the
    gnome network tool fails to connect. If I do this then the
    KWiFiManager is able to reestablish a connection with the particular
    hotspot I want before the gnome network tool fails and I get a
    connection. So that is how I do this as a newbie to linux wifi. How
    am I supposed to do it?

    My other problem is that while I have connected to public hotspots
    (2 of them) I have not been able to leave their local netoworks, which
    defeats the purpose! While connected to the last one I tried to do a
    "host" and recieved an error saying that it could not find any servers.
    I can connect to my home wireless network and use the internet just
    fine. I will list some of my settings that I think might be important
    below, please let me know if there is anything else that you need to
    know.

    I am set to use DHCP, the wireless settings are set to Mode:
    Managed, Network Name: specified, auto. I am using Fedora Core 4 on a
    Dell Latitude D410.

    Thanks for any help!

    Shawn

  2. Re: Two wireless problems, Latitude D410, Fedora Core 4

    Shawn wrote:

    > I am using the gnome network tool and
    > the KWiFiManager as tools.

    Sorry I've no idea how to solve your problem,
    but your posting set me wondering about KWiFiManager.

    I've never heard of this, and don't see it
    on any of the KDE RPMs.
    (I'm running Fedora-4.)
    Where did you get it?
    In any case, how does it compare with NetworkManager (NM),
    which seems to be Fedora's preferred tool?
    Is it maybe just a front-end for NM?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  3. Re: Two wireless problems, Latitude D410, Fedora Core 4

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    > Shawn wrote:
    >

    >>I am using the gnome network tool and
    >>the KWiFiManager as tools.

    > Sorry I've no idea how to solve your problem,
    > but your posting set me wondering about KWiFiManager.
    >
    > I've never heard of this, and don't see it
    > on any of the KDE RPMs.
    > (I'm running Fedora-4.)
    > Where did you get it?
    > In any case, how does it compare with NetworkManager (NM),
    > which seems to be Fedora's preferred tool?
    > Is it maybe just a front-end for NM?

    UH I'm running FC4 and it came with the full install for gnome under the
    Aplications Internet menu. It does not use NM. It works well but is
    less capable than NM but it is just a user space tool so you don't have
    to start anything at boot. If you're going to be going be in wifi
    situations where you need to know what all of the available choices are
    NM works best if you're just connecting to some well defined networks
    KWiFi is fine.

  4. Re: Two wireless problems, Latitude D410, Fedora Core 4

    David J. Bakeman wrote:
    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >

    >>> I am using the gnome network tool and
    >>> the KWiFiManager as tools.

    > UH I'm running FC4 and it came with the full install for gnome under the
    > Aplications Internet menu. It does not use NM. It works well but is
    > less capable than NM but it is just a user space tool so you don't have
    > to start anything at boot. If you're going to be going be in wifi
    > situations where you need to know what all of the available choices are
    > NM works best if you're just connecting to some well defined networks
    > KWiFi is fine.

    You might want to consider fixing your network scripts to decide
    automatically which host to connect to by following links at
    http://silas.psfc.mit.edu/tp41FC4.html

    Ian Hutchinson

+ Reply to Thread