recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640) - Portable

This is a discussion on recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640) - Portable ; I have a Dell Latitude C640 and the onboard wireless is no good anymore. The laptop has Fedora Core 3 installed and otherwise is working well. I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that is 100% ...

  1. recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    I have a Dell Latitude C640 and the onboard wireless is
    no good anymore.

    The laptop has Fedora Core 3 installed and otherwise is working
    well.

    I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that
    is 100% bulletproof and foolproof with Fedora Core 3 -- kernel-level
    recognized with driver and no major installation headaches.
    Please advise.

    Thanks to anyone who can help.

    baker@deslab.MIT.edu
    1/31/05

  2. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:23:24 -0500, F. Baker wrote:

    > I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that
    > is 100% bulletproof and foolproof with Fedora Core 3 -- kernel-level
    > recognized with driver a

    My suggestion is any card based on the Prism 2/2.5 chipset. It's well supported in the
    Linux kernel.

    Check here:
    http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/Prism2Card

    for a list of Prism2 based cards. That list may not be as current as
    others, check Google for more.

    --
    Nick DePetrillo
    Network Security Engineer

  3. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    "Nicholas DePetrillo" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.01.31.12.17.52.988477@oshean.org...
    > On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:23:24 -0500, F. Baker wrote:
    >

    >> I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that
    >> is 100% bulletproof and foolproof with Fedora Core 3 -- kernel-level
    >> recognized with driver a

    > My suggestion is any card based on the Prism 2/2.5 chipset. It's well
    > supported in the
    > Linux kernel.
    >
    > Check here:
    > http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/Prism2Card
    >
    > for a list of Prism2 based cards. That list may not be as current as
    > others, check Google for more.

    And for reference with wireless cards: life can get very strange if your
    wireless card winds up showing up as eth0 when installed, and moves the
    built-in network device to eth1. Getting the kernel modules associated with
    the correct network device and the eth0 and eth1 setups associated with the
    right devices can be an adventure.

    RedHat puts the SSID and key settings in
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scipts/ifcfg-[device-name] for use by uwconfig, and
    sets the values by running the "network" init script, not when it sets up
    the device itself in what I remember as the "pcmcia" init script. So all
    that documentation about setting up different keys and SSID's for different
    networks and devices in the pcmcia tools? Ignore it unless you replace
    RedHat's kernel-pcmcia-cs tool with the author's own bare software before
    RedHat touched it.

    This is one fo the few times RedHat mangles an author's own configuration
    tools: I agree with them that this mangling is easier to manage than the
    original, but it's burdensome for someone figuring it out on their own.

  4. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    In comp.os.linux.portable Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > And for reference with wireless cards: life can get very strange if your
    > wireless card winds up showing up as eth0 when installed, and moves the
    > built-in network device to eth1. Getting the kernel modules associated with
    > the correct network device and the eth0 and eth1 setups associated with the
    > right devices can be an adventure.

    So why embark on it? Tying HWADDR to each device will prevent these
    from moving around and 'neat', a.k.a. 'system-config-network', should do
    that for you. In any case you can always edit
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files and add that yourself.
    Also 'nameif' is called by network scripts which implies that you can
    use /etc/mactab to name your network devices. See 'man nameif'.

    Michal

  5. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    "Michal Jaegermann" wrote in message
    > In comp.os.linux.portable Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>

    >> And for reference with wireless cards: life can get very strange if your
    >> wireless card winds up showing up as eth0 when installed, and moves the
    >> built-in network device to eth1. Getting the kernel modules associated
    >> with
    >> the correct network device and the eth0 and eth1 setups associated with
    >> the
    >> right devices can be an adventure.

    > So why embark on it? Tying HWADDR to each device will prevent these
    > from moving around and 'neat', a.k.a. 'system-config-network', should do
    > that for you. In any case you can always edit
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files and add that yourself.
    > Also 'nameif' is called by network scripts which implies that you can
    > use /etc/mactab to name your network devices. See 'man nameif'.

    As I remember from the last time I did this, system-config-network didn't
    present the HWADDR as an option to set, you had to do it by hand. And the X
    version of that tool is seriously different from the ncurses based, no X
    needed version in its available option.

    Unfortunately, even if you set it, if you then reboot with the PCMCIA device
    unplugged, kudzu will attempt to flush the matching drivers and network
    configuration files.

    I hadn't played with /etc/mactab: I'll have to try it with the next FC4 box
    I have in hand. Nice catch.

  6. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    Hello

    (Follow-Up set to comp.os.linux misc)

    F. Baker () wrote:

    > I have a Dell Latitude C640 and the onboard wireless is
    > no good anymore.
    >
    > The laptop has Fedora Core 3 installed and otherwise is working
    > well.
    >
    > I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that
    > is 100% bulletproof and foolproof with Fedora Core 3 -- kernel-level
    > recognized with driver and no major installation headaches.
    > Please advise.

    I recently bought a Netgear WG511T card. It is compatible to 802.11a/b/g
    modes and supports 802.11i security (including "WPA2"). It is supported
    by the madwifi drivers (http://www.madwifi.org) and is also compatible
    to recent versions of wpa_supplicant and hostapd. However I do not know
    whether your distribution includes the madwifi drivers.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270

  7. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    >"Michal Jaegermann" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.portable Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>>

    >>> And for reference with wireless cards: life can get very strange if your
    >>> wireless card winds up showing up as eth0 when installed, and moves the
    >>> built-in network device to eth1. Getting the kernel modules associated
    >>> with
    >>> the correct network device and the eth0 and eth1 setups associated with
    >>> the
    >>> right devices can be an adventure.

    >> So why embark on it? Tying HWADDR to each device will prevent these
    >> from moving around and 'neat', a.k.a. 'system-config-network', should do
    >> that for you. In any case you can always edit
    >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files and add that yourself.
    >> Also 'nameif' is called by network scripts which implies that you can
    >> use /etc/mactab to name your network devices. See 'man nameif'.

    man nameif says that this only works for Ethernet devices. Now, I do not
    know if a wireless card is considered an ethernet device, but the use of
    nameif in ifup seems to exit before the wireless are set up, so I suspect
    now.

  8. Re: recommend wireless card for fedora core 3 (Dell Latitude C640)

    "Unruh" wrote in message

    >>"Michal Jaegermann" wrote in message

    >>> So why embark on it? Tying HWADDR to each device will prevent these
    >>> from moving around and 'neat', a.k.a. 'system-config-network', should do
    >>> that for you. In any case you can always edit
    >>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files and add that yourself.
    >>> Also 'nameif' is called by network scripts which implies that you can
    >>> use /etc/mactab to name your network devices. See 'man nameif'.

    > man nameif says that this only works for Ethernet devices. Now, I do not
    > know if a wireless card is considered an ethernet device, but the use of
    > nameif in ifup seems to exit before the wireless are set up, so I suspect
    > now.

    The pcmcia/network init script thing is a problem. The pcmcia needs to be
    called *FIRST*, then the network init script, for everything to work right
    in RedHat land. It's easy enough to shift the order of those init scripts by
    editing the scripts and re-running the chkconfig command to reset all the
    symlinks for them.

  9. how to real-time on linux??

    tell me the truth!

    "F. Baker" ????
    > I have a Dell Latitude C640 and the onboard wireless is
    > no good anymore.
    >
    > The laptop has Fedora Core 3 installed and otherwise is working
    > well.
    >
    > I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that
    > is 100% bulletproof and foolproof with Fedora Core 3 -- kernel-level
    > recognized with driver and no major installation headaches.
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can help.
    >
    > baker@deslab.MIT.edu
    > 1/31/05

  10. Re: how to real-time on linux??

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:23:38 +0800, linuser wrote:

    > tell me the truth!
    >

    > "F. Baker" ????
    >> I have a Dell Latitude C640 and the onboard wireless is
    >> no good anymore.
    >>
    >> The laptop has Fedora Core 3 installed and otherwise is working
    >> well.
    >>
    >> I need a recommendation for a wireless card for this laptop that
    >> is 100% bulletproof and foolproof with Fedora Core 3 -- kernel-level
    >> recognized with driver and no major installation headaches.
    >> Please advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks to anyone who can help.
    >>
    >> baker@deslab.MIT.edu
    >> 1/31/05

    Hello Linuser,

    I am running Fedora Core 4 and I use the Orinoco Gold PC Wireless
    Card on a Dell Inspiron 4000 and an IBM T-30 and it works like a
    charm. I also use a Linksys WPC11 card also. I was also using these
    cards when I had Fedora Core 3 installed on these computers. I hope
    that this helps.

    Jeff

+ Reply to Thread