Looking for a laptop, need advice - Portable

This is a discussion on Looking for a laptop, need advice - Portable ; Actually, I looked more closely and the dell models seem to have lousy batttery life after all. Me bad. robert Nagle...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    Actually, I looked more closely and the dell models seem to have lousy
    batttery life after all. Me bad.

    robert Nagle

  2. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    muzzle@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > about 3 hours is required, more is better.
    >
    > 7. What type of processor/ram/hard drive/optical drives do you want?
    >
    > I considered systems like:
    > Pentium-m between 1.7 and 2.0 GHz with 2Mb L2 cache
    > 512 to 1024Mb of DDR2 RAM (no DDR)
    > 80Gb of hard drive is good but 100 or 60 is ok
    > cd dvd burner (double layer)
    >
    > 8. If you want to play games, what type? (titles would be useful)
    >
    > Sorry, I'm not sure...
    > I won't be playing Doom 3, but I'd try Metal Gear 3 if I could (but
    > it's not a must), a MMORPG (World of Warcraft, Lineage 2), or a
    > strategic (Warcraft 3, Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War). I will
    > occasionally play with stuff requiring OpenGL (detector simulations and
    > so on).
    >
    > I'll not play regularly so I guess an entry level gpu like an ati x300
    > or a Ge force go 6400 would be ok. Anything better is welcome as long
    > it does not hurts battery life or price too much.
    >
    > 9. Are there any specific things needed (e.g. ports)
    >
    > In order:
    > Being able to run linux (I'll check at tuxmobil.org and
    > linux-laptop.net before buying)
    > WiFi. Well, I have a spare mini-pci wifi card so wifi is not strictly
    > required (but then a free mini pci slot is).
    > Bluetooth (to connect to gps, phone or pda) would be nice.
    > Infrared can be useful
    >
    > 10. Which things are you willing to compromise? (e.g. gaming laptops do
    > not have long battery lives)
    >
    > I can accept every kind of video card except intel IGP (my old laptop
    > had little or no hw video acceleration and I really suffered from it).
    > I can probably compromise on everything else. If you show me a turion
    > or a Pentium 4 M that mach my needs I'll consider it.
    >
    > 11. What laptops have you considered? (post links) Are there any brands
    > you like/dislike?
    >
    > Acer 5500 (about 1300E here in Italy)
    > http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4...crc=1875536929
    > pros:
    > - x700 is an awesome gpu
    > - It ships with the 8 cell battery -> about 3h of battery life
    >
    > cons:
    > - heavy (2.7 Kg)
    > - big (compared to the Sony)
    > - its often described as a gaming laptop (an x700 is probably well
    > over my needs)
    >
    > Sony vaio s5m (aka s580 in the USA ) (~1500E)
    > http://vaio.sony-europe.com/view/Sho...ry=VN+S+Series
    > http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Dept=computers
    > pros:
    > - very portable
    > - nice screen
    >
    > cons:
    > - The Go 6400 is the bare minimum (32Mb of vRAM only)
    > - the Ge force 6400 gpu has bad linux support. I would have to choose
    > between 3d acceleration and the ability to suspend my laptop (under
    > linux).
    > - a lot of forums reported overheating issues (link) even if a bios
    > update is reported solve them making it louder (wich is a big problem

    Would you be interested in an HP nc6000. Perfect working order. Running
    XP pro (which of course you can run on dual boot with linux)
    If so, please reply to me removing MAPS.
    This is a wonderfully compact 14" TFT screen centrino 1.73GHz, 512Mb
    RAM, DVD/CD-RW. Integrated wifi and bluetooth.
    David
    Thanks
    David

  3. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    DCA wrote:

    > Would you be interested in an HP nc6000. Perfect working order. Running
    > XP pro (which of course you can run on dual boot with linux)
    > If so, please reply to me removing MAPS.
    > This is a wonderfully compact 14" TFT screen centrino 1.73GHz, 512Mb
    > RAM, DVD/CD-RW. Integrated wifi and bluetooth.
    > David
    > Thanks
    > David

    Holy ****, man. Learn to trim your posts!

    Notan

  4. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    Notan wrote:
    > DCA wrote:
    >>

    >> Would you be interested in an HP nc6000. Perfect working order. Running
    >> XP pro (which of course you can run on dual boot with linux)
    >> If so, please reply to me removing MAPS.
    >> This is a wonderfully compact 14" TFT screen centrino 1.73GHz, 512Mb
    >> RAM, DVD/CD-RW. Integrated wifi and bluetooth.
    >> David
    >> Thanks
    >> David

    > Holy ****, man. Learn to trim your posts!
    >
    > Notan

    Hmmm - 'learn' is insulting - 'please remember' is not
    Valid point though.
    David

  5. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    DCA wrote:

    > Notan wrote:
    > > DCA wrote:
    > >>

    > >> Would you be interested in an HP nc6000. Perfect working order. Running
    > >> XP pro (which of course you can run on dual boot with linux)
    > >> If so, please reply to me removing MAPS.
    > >> This is a wonderfully compact 14" TFT screen centrino 1.73GHz, 512Mb
    > >> RAM, DVD/CD-RW. Integrated wifi and bluetooth.
    > >> David
    > >> Thanks
    > >> David

    > > Holy ****, man. Learn to trim your posts!
    > >
    > > Notan

    > Hmmm - 'learn' is insulting - 'please remember' is not
    > Valid point though.
    > David

    Point taken.

    Notan

  6. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    For the record,which laptop did you end up with?

    After considering my budget, I ended up buying a Thinkpad T43 (with 2
    gigs of RAM) on sale at ebay for $1700.

    Core Duo sounded great, but it was costly.

  7. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    >Core Duo sounded great, but it was costly.

    Is Core duo really worth the money ?

  8. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    Roy wrote:
    >>Core Duo sounded great, but it was costly.

    > Is Core duo really worth the money ?

    I wouldn't've thought so really, it's just a P4HT with extra cache.

  9. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    No, it's not "just a P4HT with extra cache". The dual core chips are
    closer to being two full processors than the HT chips are.

    Jim wrote:

    > Roy wrote:
    >
    >>> Core Duo sounded great, but it was costly.

    >> Is Core duo really worth the money ?
    >>

    > I wouldn't've thought so really, it's just a P4HT with extra cache.

  10. Re: Looking for a laptop, need advice

    If I were you, I'd avoid any laptop that has NVidia graphics.

    Ever since I got my Inpiron 8600 with NVidia card, I've been unable to
    use suspend-to-ram in Linux because the video card never turns back on
    at resume. This is a very well-known problem (search google for "nvidia
    screen blank resume linux"), yet NVidia still refuses to release the
    API's for their hardware. Instead, they make closed-source binary
    drivers available that some people have managed success with when using
    those drivers and recompiling a patched kernel.

    Personally, I'll never buy another laptop with NVidia hardware in it.

    - Joe

    joe@emenaker.com wrote:
    > If I were you, I'd avoid any laptop that has NVidia graphics.
    >
    > Ever since I got my Inpiron 8600 with NVidia card, I've been unable to
    > use suspend-to-ram in Linux because the video card never turns back on
    > at resume. This is a very well-known problem (search google for "nvidia
    > screen blank resume linux"), yet NVidia still refuses to release the
    > API's for their hardware. Instead, they make closed-source binary
    > drivers available that some people have managed success with when using
    > those drivers and recompiling a patched kernel.
    >
    > Personally, I'll never buy another laptop with NVidia hardware in it.

    I'll counter that argument. It is also a well known fact that you'll
    likely have problems with most contemporary laptops running an ATI
    variant.... shoot, you might not even get a good 2D out of it.

    If you need OpenGL work or just the fun of gaming, I highly
    recommend the Nvidia gpu's... but warn against the newer
    sub-variants with memory sharing (go with a go6600, go6800 or
    Quadro go1400.. or perhaps a go7800).

    Nvidia suspends to DISK really well and I can actually
    return to my UT2004 game after suspending to disk... that's
    pretty cool. There are too many other issues which
    will prevent suspend to ram from working on the newer
    Sonoma based platforms (the 8600 is the old Centrino
    design).

    I recommend the Dell M70 (that's what I use). Works well with
    SUSE 9.3 (I think it's workable with SUSE 10 as well... though
    I didn't have it on there long enough... I'm waiting for
    10.1+ before I upgrade again).

    If 3D is not important, then there are still some low
    end laptops that use an ATI chip that is well supported
    (akin to the <9200 radeon series). I own a D600 that
    works very well (suspend to disk works... again, I could
    care less about suspend to ram.. that's just me) with
    the open source ATI driver (it's even accelerated, just
    don't play anything stronger than tuxracer at low res.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2