laptop fans - Portable

This is a discussion on laptop fans - Portable ; how can i turn off the fan on my laptop? i only need to turn it off for a short while...the stupid fan noise is picked up by the mic when i make recordings ......

  1. laptop fans

    how can i turn off the fan on my laptop? i only need to turn it off
    for a short while...the stupid fan noise is picked up by the mic when i
    make recordings ...

  2. Re: laptop fans

  3. Re: laptop fans

    tonywatkins@gmail.com writes:
    > how can i turn off the fan on my laptop? i only need to turn it off
    > for a short while...the stupid fan noise is picked up by the mic when i
    > make recordings ...

    The hard drive also makes noise. You really have to use an external mic.

  4. Re: laptop fans

    On 19 Jan 2006 02:41:41 -0800, tonywatkins@gmail.com wrote:
    > how can i turn off the fan on my laptop? i only need to turn it off
    > for a short while...the stupid fan noise is picked up by the mic when i
    > make recordings ...

    Really depends on the type of laptop. My Dell Inspiron 4100 comes out of
    a APM suspend event sometimes with the fan going full bore. On Windows
    XP, the fan cycles down automatically and I just noticed on a 2.6.15
    kernel I compiled it does too. But before that I had to do a Fn Z
    keyboard combination. Different laptops may have different keyboard Fn
    combinations; but I found that one somewhere on a Dell forum.

    --
    Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  5. Re: laptop fans

    Kelly Price writes:

  6. Re: laptop fans

    Unruh wrote:
    > Kelly Price writes:

    Regular wave interference such as that caused by fans or hard drives can
    easily be filtered. Sit in a quiet room (preferably soundproofed) and
    record a sample of silence. Create a subtraction filter with that, and
    use that filter to run through your recordings. YMMV on how you do this
    with your software, but it's usually fairly straightforward process both
    to create the filter and run it through your recordings.

    HTH

  7. Re: laptop fans

    Jim writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> Kelly Price writes:

    >>>Try filtering out the fan in Audacity.

    >Regular wave interference such as that caused by fans or hard drives can
    >easily be filtered. Sit in a quiet room (preferably soundproofed) and
    >record a sample of silence. Create a subtraction filter with that, and
    >use that filter to run through your recordings. YMMV on how you do this
    >with your software, but it's usually fairly straightforward process both
    >to create the filter and run it through your recordings.

    Uh, no. A fan has a periodic component but also has a very broadband noise
    coming from the turbulence of the air going through the fan.

    >HTH

+ Reply to Thread