Installing ATI Mobility 9700 drivers on Laptop with SUSE 10.0 - Portable

This is a discussion on Installing ATI Mobility 9700 drivers on Laptop with SUSE 10.0 - Portable ; I have a Sager NP 3790 laptop dualbooting Windows XP and Linux Suse 10.0. Windows is not a problem as I have all the drivers, but Suse 10.0 is giving me a hard time. As I am totally new to ...

  1. Installing ATI Mobility 9700 drivers on Laptop with SUSE 10.0

    I have a Sager NP 3790 laptop dualbooting Windows XP and Linux Suse
    10.0. Windows is not a problem as I have all the drivers, but Suse 10.0
    is giving me a hard time.

    As I am totally new to Linux are are having trouble installing the ATI
    driver for my laptop. So far I've downloaded the latest driver from the
    ati website:

    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27

    I now have the file ati-driver-installer-8.20.8-i386.run but I don't
    know what to do with it. Ati's website doesn't have any information on
    how to RUN or EXECUTE this file. And as I am totally new to linux I
    don;t know how to use it.

    If someone could please help me out here I would appreciate it.

    Thank you,

    Diego Arbe
    Miramar FL

  2. Re: Installing ATI Mobility 9700 drivers on Laptop with SUSE 10.0

    UPDATE

    Following instruction I found here:
    http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=...r_Installation

    I've been able to create my own rpm for my distro (SUSE 10), but when I
    want to install it I get the error message:

    PACKAGE KERNEL SOURCE NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED BY YAST2 FIRST!

    Researching a little more I came to find that I should have installed
    (1)kernel-source and (2)gcc.

    How do I install those two apps or packages?

    thanks

    Diego

  3. Re: Installing ATI Mobility 9700 drivers on Laptop with SUSE 10.0

    diegoarbe wrote:
    > I have a Sager NP 3790 laptop dualbooting Windows XP and Linux Suse
    > 10.0. Windows is not a problem as I have all the drivers, but Suse 10.0
    > is giving me a hard time.
    >
    > As I am totally new to Linux are are having trouble installing the ATI
    > driver for my laptop. So far I've downloaded the latest driver from the
    > ati website:
    >
    > https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27
    >

    > I now have the file ati-driver-installer-8.20.8-i386.run but I don't
    > know what to do with it. Ati's website doesn't have any information on
    > how to RUN or EXECUTE this file. And as I am totally new to linux I
    > don;t know how to use it.
    >
    > If someone could please help me out here I would appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Diego Arbe
    > Miramar FL

    I would say, being a Centrino, that best results would be obtained using
    the default kernel and xfree86 ATI DRI (Direct Rendering). Use the
    cpufreqd daemon to control the Speedstep function of the processor.

    NOTE: Gaming on an ATI-graphics-equipped laptop under Linux is a pain in
    the arse at the best of times. If your graphics chip is offboard,
    consider upgrading to an NVidia card. Lesser of two evils, but the
    proprietery drivers work a hell of a lot better.

    FWIW, I don't know what Novell have done between 9.2 Pro and 10.0, but
    they seem to have dropped a lot of the default bundled stuff. Or maybe
    I'm missing something...

    HTH

+ Reply to Thread