fan noise fan control - Portable

This is a discussion on fan noise fan control - Portable ; Hello, I'm using ubuntu on Toshiba Tecra M3. My fan is constantly working hard and making noise. When Windows XP was installed, it controlled the fan activity based on the CPU usage well. So I want the equivalent performance on ...

  1. fan noise fan control

    Hello,

    I'm using ubuntu on Toshiba Tecra M3. My fan is constantly working hard
    and making noise. When Windows XP was installed, it controlled the fan
    activity based on the CPU usage well. So I want the equivalent
    performance on linux as well. I monitored the CPU activity on linux and
    it is controlled well. So the problem is that even when CPU is not used
    much, the fan activity does not come down. What should I do? Please
    help me.

  2. Re: fan noise fan control

    Phidippus wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm using ubuntu on Toshiba Tecra M3. My fan is constantly working hard
    > and making noise. When Windows XP was installed, it controlled the fan
    > activity based on the CPU usage well. So I want the equivalent
    > performance on linux as well. I monitored the CPU activity on linux and
    > it is controlled well. So the problem is that even when CPU is not used
    > much, the fan activity does not come down. What should I do? Please
    > help me.

    Those Tosihba models I have seen all have BIOS option for different fan
    modes. You may look if you have it too.

    There is a program to turn fan on/off included in toshutils (it won't work
    for all models). It is possible to write a small script that will monitor
    CPU temp and switch fan on/off respectively.

    Finally you can ask Toshiba to publish interfaces used by Windows program;
    in this case someone may be able to write program that switches fan mode on
    the fly ...

    =arvi=

+ Reply to Thread