HP Pavilion zd8000 - Portable

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion zd8000 - Portable ; Am so pissed off with windoze and its vulnerabilities. Have been running/administering a linux terminal server lab at school for 2 years now K12LTSP 4.4.x right now. going to switch my laptop to completely Linux. Just trying to determine the ...

  1. HP Pavilion zd8000

    Am so pissed off with windoze and its vulnerabilities. Have been
    running/administering a linux terminal server lab at school for 2 years
    now K12LTSP 4.4.x right now.

    going to switch my laptop to completely Linux. Just trying to determine
    the best distro.

    I would like to edit video and use the firewire ports and broadcom
    wireless. Anyone know of a known working distro with this laptop?

    help greatly appreciated

  2. Re: HP Pavilion zd8000

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:06:42 -0600, Liam Marshall wrote:

    > Am so pissed off with windoze and its vulnerabilities. Have been
    > running/administering a linux terminal server lab at school for 2 years
    > now K12LTSP 4.4.x right now.
    >
    > going to switch my laptop to completely Linux. Just trying to determine
    > the best distro.
    >
    > I would like to edit video and use the firewire ports and broadcom
    > wireless. Anyone know of a known working distro with this laptop?
    >
    > help greatly appreciated

    The Broadcom wireless is going to require Ndiswrapper, there is no Linux
    driver for it. I've got a Compaq R3000z which has the Broadcom in it and
    I've been able to make it work with Ndiswrapper so I expect you'll be able
    to do the same. My laptop has an Nvidia graphics chip so there are no
    problems using Linux because Nvidia does a good job of providing graphics
    drivers. Your laptop has ATI graphics in it, I don't know how well those
    are supported.

  3. Re: HP Pavilion zd8000

    Liam Marshall wrote:
    > Am so pissed off with windoze and its vulnerabilities. Have been
    > running/administering a linux terminal server lab at school for 2 years
    > now K12LTSP 4.4.x right now.
    >
    > going to switch my laptop to completely Linux. Just trying to determine
    > the best distro.
    >
    > I would like to edit video and use the firewire ports and broadcom
    > wireless. Anyone know of a known working distro with this laptop?
    >
    > help greatly appreciated

    dunno about the specific laptop but I do have a Dell Inspiron working
    under SuSE Pro 9.2 with a Broadcom wireless. Went straight on, zero
    config required, I get 11Mbps on a 54g Linksys AP with 128-bit WEP. Not
    full speed for the card (also 54g) but then I'm not gaming on it, I just
    want to surf and do my email.

  4. Re: HP Pavilion zd8000

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:06:42 -0600, Liam Marshall wrote:
    >

    >>Am so pissed off with windoze and its vulnerabilities. Have been
    >>running/administering a linux terminal server lab at school for 2 years
    >>now K12LTSP 4.4.x right now.
    >>
    >>going to switch my laptop to completely Linux. Just trying to determine
    >>the best distro.
    >>
    >>I would like to edit video and use the firewire ports and broadcom
    >>wireless. Anyone know of a known working distro with this laptop?
    >>
    >>help greatly appreciated

    > The Broadcom wireless is going to require Ndiswrapper, there is no Linux
    > driver for it. I've got a Compaq R3000z which has the Broadcom in it and
    > I've been able to make it work with Ndiswrapper so I expect you'll be able
    > to do the same. My laptop has an Nvidia graphics chip so there are no
    > problems using Linux because Nvidia does a good job of providing graphics
    > drivers. Your laptop has ATI graphics in it, I don't know how well those
    > are supported.

    Radeon 7500 mobile under SuSE 9.2 is spot on. 1400x1050 XGA native
    resolution, right off the bat.

  5. Re: HP Pavilion zd8000

    Have a look at http://zd7000forums.com/
    --