Installing linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on Installing linux? - Portable ; I have an old second computer an Athlon 750 with Win98 installed and running fine. I have tried to install or use a CD version of Linux but when starts checking the memory it errors and stops. Does anyone know ...

  1. Installing linux?

    I have an old second computer an Athlon 750 with Win98 installed and
    running fine. I have tried to install or use a CD version of Linux but
    when starts checking the memory it errors and stops. Does anyone know of
    a free distro that does not check memory while doing the install? I
    don't want to spend any money on this old box. I just want to install
    linux to see if I want to move it onto my No.1 machine.
    TT

  2. Re: Installing linux?

    The Time Traveler wrote:
    > I have an old second computer an Athlon 750 with Win98 installed and
    > running fine. I have tried to install or use a CD version of Linux but
    > when starts checking the memory it errors and stops. Does anyone know
    > of a free distro that does not check memory while doing the install? I
    > don't want to spend any money on this old box. I just want to install
    > linux to see if I want to move it onto my No.1 machine.
    > TT

    If you have a "live" CD version of Linux, why not just try it directly
    on your No.1 machine. Even if you did get the CD to boot on the old
    system, it's performance might be so bad that you'd just forget the
    whole Linux concept.

    Jeff

  3. Re: Installing linux?

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:47:43 -0600, The Time Traveler wrote:

    >I have an old second computer an Athlon 750 with Win98 installed and
    >running fine. I have tried to install or use a CD version of Linux but
    >when starts checking the memory it errors and stops. Does anyone know of
    >a free distro that does not check memory while doing the install? I
    >don't want to spend any money on this old box. I just want to install
    >linux to see if I want to move it onto my No.1 machine.

    Linux isn't DOS. If you have bad memory, it'll crash sooner or later.
    I don't know of any explicit memory check that any distro performs so
    I can't help you about disabling such a check.
    Perhaps your BIOS is misreporting how much memory you have -- this is
    a known BIOS bug.

    Some distros let you ask for help on the first screen immediately
    after booting from the CD. You might have to boot with a command like
    > linux memsize=64m

    or something like that. The first param 'linux' is the name of the
    kernel, the rest are params passed to the kernel.

+ Reply to Thread