pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4? - Portable

This is a discussion on pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4? - Portable ; I'm working on getting a pcmcia serial card working on an HP zv6233nr running Fedora Core 4 _ 64. The PCMCIA seems to be running since I can plug in a pcmcia wireless card and get it to work. I'm ...

  1. pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    I'm working on getting a pcmcia serial card working on an HP zv6233nr
    running Fedora Core 4 _ 64. The PCMCIA seems to be running since I can
    plug in a pcmcia wireless card and get it to work. I'm now trying to
    get an EIA232 card to work. I've tried following the directions at
    http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp...O-3.html#ss3.4 .
    The card responds as:

    sbin]# ./cardctl ident
    Socket 0:
    product info: "OXSEMI", "OXCB950", "Rev A"
    manfid: 0x0279, 0x0001
    function: 2 (serial)

    As instructed, I put the below in /etc/pcmcia/config

    card "OXSEMI OXCB950 Rev A"
    version "OXSEMI", "OXCB950", "Rev A"
    # manfid 0x0279, 0x0001
    bind "serial_cs"

    At this point, I can reboot the system and one of the LEDs on the
    serial card lights. However, I see nothing /var/log/messages about
    pcmcia initialization. Also, /var/lib/pcmcia/stab has this in it:

    Socket 0: empty

    So... What am I missing? I did the "install everything" option on FC4.

    THANKS!

    Harold

  2. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    harold@hallikainen.com wrote:

    > I'm working on getting a pcmcia serial card working on an HP zv6233nr
    > running Fedora Core 4 _ 64. The PCMCIA seems to be running since I can
    > plug in a pcmcia wireless card and get it to work. I'm now trying to
    > get an EIA232 card to work. I've tried following the directions at
    > http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp...O-3.html#ss3.4 .
    > The card responds as:
    >
    > sbin]# ./cardctl ident
    > Socket 0:
    > product info: "OXSEMI", "OXCB950", "Rev A"
    > manfid: 0x0279, 0x0001
    > function: 2 (serial)
    >
    > As instructed, I put the below in /etc/pcmcia/config
    >
    > card "OXSEMI OXCB950 Rev A"
    > version "OXSEMI", "OXCB950", "Rev A"
    > # manfid 0x0279, 0x0001
    > bind "serial_cs"
    >

    > At this point, I can reboot the system and one of the LEDs on the
    > serial card lights. However, I see nothing /var/log/messages about
    > pcmcia initialization. Also, /var/lib/pcmcia/stab has this in it:
    >
    > Socket 0: empty
    >

    > So... What am I missing? I did the "install everything" option on FC4.

    Does 'cat /proc/modules' without the single quotemarks show the module
    serial_cs as being loaded with the card inserted? Do you even have the
    serial modules?

    check by; ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/serial

    Example output;
    $ ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/serial
    total 136
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30914 Dec 25 10:16 8250.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 34543 Dec 25 10:16 8250_pci.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28611 Dec 25 10:16 serial_core.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37171 Dec 25 10:16 serial_cs.ko

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    THANKS for the response! Looks like the driver exists but not being
    loaded.

    I then tried

    /sbin/modprobe serial_cs

    which got the driver loaded, as shown by
    cat /proc/modules

    The PCMCIA how to indicates that /etc/pcmcia/config should contain
    device "serial_cs"
    class "serial" module "misc/serial", "serial_cs"

    to load the driver.

    The /etc/pcmcia/config that came with FC4 has this in
    /etc/pcmcia/config
    device "serial_cs"
    class "serial" module "serial_cs"

    I tried modifying /etc/pcmcia/config as shown the how-to, but the
    driver is still not loaded after a reboot. So, I've changed it back.

    running /sbin/modprobe serial_cs does indeed get the driver loaded.

    [root@hhlaptop harold]# cat /proc/modules
    serial_cs 11085 0 - Live 0xffffffff88330000

    The loading of serial_cs doesn't seem to place anything in
    /var/log/messages that I can find.

    Ideas?

    THANKS!

    Harold

  4. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    harold@hallikainen.com wrote:
    > running /sbin/modprobe serial_cs does indeed get the driver loaded.

    [[but notafter a reboot]]

    Have a look for a file like /etc/modules.conf It configures the
    kernel at boot time.

    man modprobe & man modules.conf are your friends

  5. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    [[REPOST]
    harold@hallikainen.com wrote:

    > I tried modifying /etc/pcmcia/config as shown the how-to, but the
    > driver is still not loaded after a reboot. So, I've changed it back.

    /etc/modules.conf See the man page for details.

  6. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:
    > harold@hallikainen.com wrote:
    >
    >>running /sbin/modprobe serial_cs does indeed get the driver loaded.

    > [[but notafter a reboot]]
    >
    > Have a look for a file like /etc/modules.conf It configures the
    > kernel at boot time.

    I think on Fedora it's called /etc/modprobe.conf

    > man modprobe & man modules.conf are your friends

  7. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    OK, another clue on this... I'm seeing no log entries in
    var/log/messages on inserting or removing a card. In addition, I hear
    no beeps on card insertion or deletion. As I understand it, cardmgr is
    supposed to beep on card insertion, then again on recognizing the card.
    I'm getting no beep. I tried m new serial card, a Linksys ethernet
    card, and a WLAN card. cardmgr IS running since it complains if I try
    to start it again.

    Any ideas? This is FC4 on an HP zv6000 series.

    THANKS!

    Harold

  8. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    harold@hallikainen.com wrote:

    > OK, another clue on this... I'm seeing no log entries in
    > var/log/messages on inserting or removing a card. In addition, I hear
    > no beeps on card insertion or deletion. As I understand it, cardmgr is
    > supposed to beep on card insertion, then again on recognizing the card.
    > I'm getting no beep. I tried m new serial card, a Linksys ethernet
    > card, and a WLAN card. cardmgr IS running since it complains if I try
    > to start it again.
    >
    > Any ideas? This is FC4 on an HP zv6000 series.

    Most laptops do not have a 'pc speaker' for the 'beeps' available, but you
    can always add the module (pcspkr) if you desire and available.

    Quick checks;
    ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/misc/
    cat /proc/modules | grep pcspkr

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

  9. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    This seems to have a PC speaker since it beeps on power up when it asks
    for the power up password. Besides no beep, I'm getting nothing in
    /var/log/messages. Makes me think cardmgr isn't working right.

    Harold

  10. Re: pcmcia serial card on Fedora Core 4?

    harold@hallikainen.com wrote:

    > This seems to have a PC speaker since it beeps on power up when it asks
    > for the power up password. Besides no beep, I'm getting nothing in
    > /var/log/messages. Makes me think cardmgr isn't working right.

    The BIOS has support(built-in) to make the noise and Operating System does
    not (no pcskpr module).

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

+ Reply to Thread