Linux Wilreless---cursed??? - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux Wilreless---cursed??? - Portable ; Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux. In my ...

  1. Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration
    (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a
    wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux.

    In my current configuration I'm running SuSE 10.0 with the Intel 2200
    mini-PCI card. This is what ifconfig says:

    DadsLinux:~ # ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:1B:CD:3A:0D
    inet6 addr: fe80::206:1bff:fecd:3a0d/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:3014 (2.9 Kb) TX bytes:6768 (6.6 Kb)

    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:F0:54:A5:56
    inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255
    Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::212:f0ff:fe54:a556/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:54299 (53.0 Kb) TX bytes:7839 (7.6 Kb)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xa000 Memory:d0204000-d0204fff

    The eth1 is the wireless. It has found its IP address correctly, but
    does not talk to the AP/router e.g. ping doesn't work. The wireless
    indicator light is on--most of the time, though it cuts out
    occasionally but that's typical.

    Any clues?

    MTIA, Matt

  2. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Gerbilio wrote:
    > Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration
    > (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a
    > wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux.
    >

    > In my current configuration I'm running SuSE 10.0 with the Intel 2200
    > mini-PCI card. This is what ifconfig says:
    >
    > DadsLinux:~ # ifconfig
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:1B:CD:3A:0D
    > inet6 addr: fe80::206:1bff:fecd:3a0d/64 Scope:Link
    > UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:3014 (2.9 Kb) TX bytes:6768 (6.6 Kb)
    >
    > eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:F0:54:A5:56
    > inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255
    > Mask:255.255.255.0
    > inet6 addr: fe80::212:f0ff:fe54:a556/64 Scope:Link
    > UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:54299 (53.0 Kb) TX bytes:7839 (7.6 Kb)
    > Interrupt:11 Base address:0xa000 Memory:d0204000-d0204fff
    >
    > The eth1 is the wireless. It has found its IP address correctly, but
    > does not talk to the AP/router e.g. ping doesn't work. The wireless
    > indicator light is on--most of the time, though it cuts out
    > occasionally but that's typical.
    >
    > Any clues?
    >
    > MTIA, Matt

    What wireless card/chipset are you using? Also, what linux kernel &
    driver? With answeres to those, sume suggestions regarding drivers can
    be made, that being said, I myself have not exactly been having a barrel
    of fun getting my DLink G650 to work with the madwifi-ng driver.

    At this point, because there are relatively few of us, decent support is
    scarce. If yo run into problems, you might have to get comfortable with
    the idea of editing someone else's kernel driver code. Not my idea of fun.

    Oh if only drivers for the linux kernel were easier to write/support for
    commercial concerns. Then maybe we would see more supported hardware.

    Evan

  3. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Gerbilio wrote:

    > Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration
    > (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a
    > wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux.
    >

    > In my current configuration I'm running SuSE 10.0 with the Intel 2200
    > mini-PCI card. This is what ifconfig says:

    What say the logfiles ( /var/log/boot.msg and /var/log/messages) about the
    ipw2200 ?

  4. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    On 2005-12-21, Gerbilio wrote:
    > Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration
    > (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a
    > wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux.

    I finally got WiFi working on Linux with the following:

    1. Using the network discovery tool (RaConfig) that came with my driver.
    Another good one is apradar (apradar.sourceforge.net).

    2. Installing a dhcp client. I suspect that SuSE and Mandrake contain
    a prepackaged client you can install.

    3. Modifying my firewall to recognize the specific wireless interface,
    instead of using the 'auto' interface setting.

    Hope this helps a little bit.

  5. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Nuffing...except that it's not supported by Novell, therefore the "U
    taint flag" is set.

    Ironically, soon after I sent that msg I managed to get it to work!
    First it was a matter of setting the gateway to the wireless router,
    then I had to correctly specify the DHCP servers.

    However, it worked ONCE. Now I can get to the network and ping the
    router, but not beyond via wireless (I'm doing this via the Ethernet
    port). And to get THIS far, I had to go through YaST (the SuSE GUI
    system configuration program) to restart the wireless interface.

    What is the command to restart the wireless interface from the command
    line? That would be most useful.

    MTIA, Matt

  6. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card on an internal mini-PCI bus.
    It is running the ipw2200 module.

    Ironically, I am now on the wireless again--it wasn't working a minute
    ago. Oh, if only I knew what it was that I did to get it to work!

    Matt

  7. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Evan Carew wrote:

    > Gerbilio wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration
    >> (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a
    >> wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux.
    >>

    >> In my current configuration I'm running SuSE 10.0 with the Intel 2200
    >> mini-PCI card. This is what ifconfig says:
    >>
    >> DadsLinux:~ # ifconfig
    >> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:1B:CD:3A:0D
    >> inet6 addr: fe80::206:1bff:fecd:3a0d/64 Scope:Link
    >> UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    >> TX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> RX bytes:3014 (2.9 Kb) TX bytes:6768 (6.6 Kb)
    >>
    >> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:F0:54:A5:56
    >> inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255
    >> Mask:255.255.255.0
    >> inet6 addr: fe80::212:f0ff:fe54:a556/64 Scope:Link
    >> UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:123 errors:9 dropped:9 overruns:0 frame:0
    >> TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> RX bytes:54299 (53.0 Kb) TX bytes:7839 (7.6 Kb)
    >> Interrupt:11 Base address:0xa000 Memory:d0204000-d0204fff
    >>
    >> The eth1 is the wireless. It has found its IP address correctly, but
    >> does not talk to the AP/router e.g. ping doesn't work. The wireless
    >> indicator light is on--most of the time, though it cuts out
    >> occasionally but that's typical.
    >>
    >> Any clues?
    >>
    >> MTIA, Matt
    >>

    > What wireless card/chipset are you using? Also, what linux kernel &
    > driver? With answeres to those, sume suggestions regarding drivers can
    > be made, that being said, I myself have not exactly been having a barrel
    > of fun getting my DLink G650 to work with the madwifi-ng driver.
    >
    > At this point, because there are relatively few of us, decent support is
    > scarce. If yo run into problems, you might have to get comfortable with
    > the idea of editing someone else's kernel driver code. Not my idea of fun.
    >
    > Oh if only drivers for the linux kernel were easier to write/support for
    > commercial concerns. Then maybe we would see more supported hardware.
    >
    > Evan

    My Intel internal wifi card (Prism II chip) on my Dell laptop works fine
    under SuSE 9.2. Shame the distro sucks monkey nuts, from only a day of
    using it. Maybe I'll turn around on it after a week of customising and
    trying to get it more Debian-like in its package management (even if I
    have to hold a local repository).

  8. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    >Gerbilio wrote:
    >> Hi. I have an IBM ThinkPad R40 with a triple boot configuration
    >> (XPSP2, SuSE, and Mandrake 10.2). I have gotten XP to talk to a
    >> wireless network, but it just doesn't seem to want to work under Linux.
    >>

    >> In my current configuration I'm running SuSE 10.0 with the Intel 2200
    >> mini-PCI card. This is what ifconfig says:
    >>
    >> DadsLinux:~ # ifconfig
    >> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:1B:CD:3A:0D
    >> inet6 addr: fe80::206:1bff:fecd:3a0d/64 Scope:Link
    >> UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    >> TX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> RX bytes:3014 (2.9 Kb) TX bytes:6768 (6.6 Kb)
    >>
    >> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:F0:54:A5:56
    >> inet addr:192.168.0.100 Bcast:192.168.0.255
    >> Mask:255.255.255.0
    >> inet6 addr: fe80::212:f0ff:fe54:a556/64 Scope:Link
    >> UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    >> RX packets:123 errors:9 dropped:9 overruns:0 frame:0
    >> TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    >> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    >> RX bytes:54299 (53.0 Kb) TX bytes:7839 (7.6 Kb)
    >> Interrupt:11 Base address:0xa000 Memory:d0204000-d0204fff
    >>
    >> The eth1 is the wireless. It has found its IP address correctly, but
    >> does not talk to the AP/router e.g. ping doesn't work. The wireless
    >> indicator light is on--most of the time, though it cuts out
    >> occasionally but that's typical.

    IF your get and ip address via dhcp, which you apparently have done, then
    the wireless card works. It could not get its address if the wireless card
    did not connect to the access point and communicate with it. Do not worry
    about your wireless card.

    Look at
    route -n
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    to see if there is some trouble there.

    Try browsing to 152.163.211.51 rathr than the name. If it connects but
    www.netscape.com does not, then you have resolver problems.
    (/etc/resolv.conf)
    If it does ot connect you probably have either routing problems or firewall
    problems.

    >What wireless card/chipset are you using? Also, what linux kernel &
    >driver? With answeres to those, sume suggestions regarding drivers can
    >be made, that being said, I myself have not exactly been having a barrel
    >of fun getting my DLink G650 to work with the madwifi-ng driver.

    There is always ndiswrapper to use the Windows driver, or linuxant
    driverloader (for $20).

  9. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    "Gerbilio" writes:

    >I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card on an internal mini-PCI bus.
    >It is running the ipw2200 module.

    >Ironically, I am now on the wireless again--it wasn't working a minute
    >ago. Oh, if only I knew what it was that I did to get it to work!

    Sometimes your access point provider goes down. Ie it has nothing to do
    with you.

  10. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:07:37 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > My Intel internal wifi card (Prism II chip) on my Dell laptop works fine
    > under SuSE 9.2. Shame the distro sucks monkey nuts, from only a day of
    > using it. Maybe I'll turn around on it after a week of customising and
    > trying to get it more Debian-like in its package management (even if I
    > have to hold a local repository).

    I don't get it! If your box uses the Prism2 chipset, virtually every
    kernel of *every* Linux distro for the last 5 years will work with the
    WiFi card. If all you're hearing is nut-slurping, why not install _your_
    favorite distro, and hear music instead?

    I've used SuSE for the last 7 years, RH for three years before that, and
    I've used WiFi on my Suse for 3 of the last 7 years, with a multitude of
    different cards/chipsets. As I said earlier, Prism2 cards are the most
    supported, and can be used with any distro I've ever heard of.

    vg

  11. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Valentin Guillen wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:07:37 +0000, Jim wrote:

    > I don't get it! If your box uses the Prism2 chipset, virtually every
    > kernel of *every* Linux distro for the last 5 years will work with the
    > WiFi card. If all you're hearing is nut-slurping, why not install _your_
    > favorite distro, and hear music instead?
    >
    > I've used SuSE for the last 7 years, RH for three years before that, and
    > I've used WiFi on my Suse for 3 of the last 7 years, with a multitude of
    > different cards/chipsets. As I said earlier, Prism2 cards are the most
    > supported, and can be used with any distro I've ever heard of.
    >
    > vg

    Can you suggest a wireless PCMCIA/cardbus card that use the PrismII
    chipset THAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE?

    Thanks.

    -Al

  12. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Al Schapira writes:
    > Can you suggest a wireless PCMCIA/cardbus card that use the PrismII
    > chipset THAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE?

    Currently available where? There's tons of them on ebay. That's
    where I got mine.

  13. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Al Schapira wrote:

    > Valentin Guillen wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:07:37 +0000, Jim wrote:

    >> I don't get it! If your box uses the Prism2 chipset, virtually every
    >> kernel of *every* Linux distro for the last 5 years will work with the
    >> WiFi card. If all you're hearing is nut-slurping, why not install _your_
    >> favorite distro, and hear music instead?
    >>
    >> I've used SuSE for the last 7 years, RH for three years before that, and
    >> I've used WiFi on my Suse for 3 of the last 7 years, with a multitude of
    >> different cards/chipsets. As I said earlier, Prism2 cards are the most
    >> supported, and can be used with any distro I've ever heard of.
    >>
    >> vg

    > Can you suggest a wireless PCMCIA/cardbus card that use the PrismII
    > chipset THAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Al

    Zcom XI-325, the Belkins, the Edimax 11b cards... take your pick.

    HTH

  14. Re: Linux Wilreless---cursed???

    Al Schapira wrote:
    > Can you suggest a wireless PCMCIA/cardbus card that use the PrismII
    > chipset THAT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE?

    You probably have to buy used one. Prism is 802.11b, and most
    manufacturers have move to 802.11g.

    --
    William Park , Toronto, Canada
    BashDiff: Super Bash shell