Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console - Portable

  2. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

    In comp.os.linux.setup Evan Carew :

    > I am trying to configure a custom kernel for my older IBM laptop, &
    > can't seem to get it to boot. The error, mentioned in the subject line,

    Best idea to start from your working distro kernel config.

    > keeps popping up. Has anyone seem this & been able to fix it?

    Remote guess you have devfs in your kernel or a filled /dev onto
    your hd?

    #bofh excuse 367: Webmasters kidnapped by evil cult.

  3. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:30:18 +0000, Evan Carew wrote:

    > I am trying to configure a custom kernel for my older IBM laptop, &
    > can't seem to get it to boot. The error, mentioned in the subject line,
    > keeps popping up. Has anyone seem this & been able to fix it?

    Did you disable built-in console/tty/serial console (I don't know what
    you use) support in your new kernel config, or did you change it to a
    loadable module perhaps?
    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m

  4. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

  5. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

  6. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

    In comp.os.linux.setup Evan Carew :
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >>

    >> Remote guess you have devfs in your kernel or a filled /dev onto
    >> your hd?
    >>

    > devfs? Well, I'm curious what that would have to do with it, however, to
    > answer your question, devfs isn't enabled in the custom kernel, & the
    > kernel I am currently booting with is the stock kernel from the FC3
    > install media.

    Then 'diff' the distro kernel against yours and see where the
    culprit is, can't look into your system. ;-)

    [..]

    #bofh excuse 315: The recent proliferation of Nuclear Testing

  7. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

  8. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

    In comp.os.linux.setup Michael Heiming :
    > In comp.os.linux.setup Evan Carew :
    >> Michael Heiming wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Remote guess you have devfs in your kernel or a filled /dev onto
    >>> your hd?
    >>>

    >> devfs? Well, I'm curious what that would have to do with it, however, to
    >> answer your question, devfs isn't enabled in the custom kernel, & the
    >> kernel I am currently booting with is the stock kernel from the FC3
    >> install media.

    > Then 'diff' the distro kernel against yours and see where the
    > culprit is, can't look into your system. ;-)

    Ops, the distro kernel configuration with yours of course.

    > [..]

    #bofh excuse 406: Bad cafeteria food landed all the sysadmins
    in the hospital.

  9. Re: Fedora Core 3: Kernel Panic: Unable to open initial console

    "Evan Carew" wrote in message
    news6olf.3378$rq3.202@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...

    > Diff two binary kernels?! No. On the other hand, in talking to someone
    > else, this looks like an initrd issue. It seems this issue has triped up
    > quite a few kernel compilers over the last few years & much of their
    > conversation can be found over at kerneltrap.org. As I said to the
    > individual who pointed it out, this looks like quite the ugly can of
    > worms.

    "diff" the config files, and possibly the clean source code for the kernels.

    > It seems that an unlucky confluence of initrd, devfs & sysfs (among other
    > things) can create these problems. It also looke like I am going to have
    > to spend quite a bit of time untangling the mess. Should compiling a
    > custom kernel be this hard? It never was before. thanks for your help

    It's like when a car won't start: check for the easy things first, before
    you assume you have to pull the engine block....

+ Reply to Thread