where's the combination of Nokia 770 and GP2X? - Portable

This is a discussion on where's the combination of Nokia 770 and GP2X? - Portable ; I'm both excited and dismayed by the Nokia 770. It's great in almost all ways, except that they left off a decent d-pad and a couple of right-hand buttons, thus making it almost completely useless for console-style gaming. Sure, you ...

  1. where's the combination of Nokia 770 and GP2X?

    I'm both excited and dismayed by the Nokia 770. It's great in almost
    all ways, except that they left off a decent d-pad and a couple of
    right-hand buttons, thus making it almost completely useless for
    console-style gaming. Sure, you can play Solitaire or RTS games on it,
    but even something as simple as Mario Bros would be unplayable.

    But it looks great for watching videos, surfing the net, and for use as
    a PDA.

    On the other hand, we have the GP2X, a fantastic Linux system for
    playing games or watching videos. But it lacks both WiFi and a pen, so
    it's useless as a PDA or for web-surfing.

    Am I the only one that wants a single device I can use to watch videos,
    access the internet, take notes in meetings, and play action games?
    Such a device could pretty much completely replace my laptop for most
    purposes. Both the 770 and the GP2X seem to have missed the mark --
    especially dumb in the 770's case, when all it needed was a few extra
    buttons, that would add essentially zero cost to the device.

    Even among non-Linux devices, we have nothing quite right: the Nintendo
    DS is a quasi-closed system with no web browser and poor video support,
    and the PSP is a completely closed system with no pen. The Nintendo DS
    comes close, hacked to run Linux, but it's hardly an elegant solution.

    Does my dream machine actually exist out there somewhere, and I haven't
    heard of it yet? Or is there some reason what I'm asking for is
    unreasonable?

    Thanks,
    - Joe

    | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
    | joe@strout.net http://www.macwebdir.com |

  2. Re: where's the combination of Nokia 770 and GP2X?

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:35:18 -0700, Joe Strout wrote:

    > I'm both excited and dismayed by the Nokia 770. It's great in almost
    > all ways, except that they left off a decent d-pad and a couple of
    > right-hand buttons, thus making it almost completely useless for
    > console-style gaming. Sure, you can play Solitaire or RTS games on it,
    > but even something as simple as Mario Bros would be unplayable.

    I own both, and if you go through the forums at
    www.internettablettalk.com you will notice that most people who bring this
    subject up realise in the end that they are meant to be two separate
    devices.

    Nokia is targeting not the gamer, not the businessman but a combination
    of the regular consumer, businessman and the geek. A similar argument
    comes up with the fact that some people wish it were also a phone. If they
    made it a phone they would limit its desirability to people who already
    have a phone or to people who have a different provider than the one it
    would have supported. By making the Nokia 770 a stand-alone device they
    have increased its acceptability.

    It is and is market as an Internet Tablet. It's not even considered a PDA
    as it does not have any PIM applications. I use mine for secure e-mail
    checking/sending as well as RSS (finally a good use for RSS) web
    browsing and portable VPN/SSH console. It's also the only palm sized
    tablet you will find with an 800x480 screen.

    As for the GP2x. I love it as well, I like having a light weight portable
    console gaming device I can bring with me anywhere I go. The GP2x is not
    as polished as the 770, in fact it seems to me to feel like hacked
    together software and hardware. This device was obviously targeted only to
    the geeks and hobbyists. This is not a bad thing however, if Nokia
    put a D-Pad on the 770 half the target audience would reject it as merely
    a toy. That is not that look and feel Nokia wanted for their Internet
    Tablet.

    > On the other hand, we have the GP2X, a fantastic Linux system for
    > playing games or watching videos. But it lacks both WiFi and a pen, so
    > it's useless as a PDA or for web-surfing.

    A device that was meant from the start to play host to emulators for old
    consoles has no need for wifi, a high resolution screen or a touch screen.
    It isn't a Nintendo DS. Not to mention the cost of adding those components
    would have driven the price of the GP2x from its easily obtainable $189.99
    to over $250 I'm sure.

    > Am I the only one that wants a single device I can use to watch videos,
    > access the internet, take notes in meetings, and play action games?

    No, but there are not enough of you out there to warrant such a device at
    this time. If Nokia knew it could get away with selling 5 million units
    with those added features than it would have done so. It's all a matter of
    marketing and target audience. Right now the Nokia 770 is sold out
    everywhere, it is incredibly hard to get a hold of. Nokia is pleased with
    the response to the 770, they can't keep up with the demand. This means
    good thing for the 770 crowd, future support, new hardware in the future
    (an 880 maybe one day?).

    This is just my insight into what I have seen and heard in the GP2x/Nokia
    770 groups. Hope I shed some light on the situation, most of the above is
    opinion on my part. Check out the forums at the link I mentioned above as
    well as the GP2x sites (check Google) and you will find similar arguments
    and discussion.

    --
    Nick DePetrillo
    Network Security Engineer