IBM i1451 FC3 Install Help - Portable

  2. Re: IBM i1451 FC3 Install Help

    Evan Carew wrote:

    > I'm having trouble installing FC3 on my newly inherited IBM laptop. The
    > problem seems to be that the install fails during the package
    > installation... at random spots. It looks like it is a hardware issue
    > somehow connected with the DVD/CD-ROM. Anyone else come across this
    > issue & solve it?

    There is an install-time option to run the CD with no dma that sometimes
    solves that problem. I'm afraid I can't remember what it is, it might
    tell you in the help after you boot the CD, or you might have to google
    for something like "install nodma".

    Also, did you do an integrety check on your CDs?

    --
    Nobby

  3. Re: IBM i1451 FC3 Install Help

    Nobody Here wrote:
    > Evan Carew wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm having trouble installing FC3 on my newly inherited IBM laptop. The
    >> problem seems to be that the install fails during the package
    >> installation... at random spots. It looks like it is a hardware issue
    >> somehow connected with the DVD/CD-ROM. Anyone else come across this
    >> issue & solve it?

    > There is an install-time option to run the CD with no dma that sometimes
    > solves that problem. I'm afraid I can't remember what it is,

    ide=nodma or you can be more specific and do that only for a CD device.
    Help screens in anaconda will tell you more, I think.

    Evan, why do you bother with FC3 at all unless you plan to jump right
    away to FC5 when it will become available? There is not much maitenance
    time left in FC3 and current updates necessary to apply right on the top
    will be in a size order of a distribution itself. FC4 updates are also
    massive but at least they will show up for a bit longer. FC distros
    are meant for a relatively quick turnaround.

    Michal

  4. Re: IBM i1451 FC3 Install Help

  5. Re: IBM i1451 FC3 Install Help

    Evan Carew wrote: