tv tuner cards... - Portable

This is a discussion on tv tuner cards... - Portable ; When I bought my Dell Inspiron 8200 tv-tuner cards for laptops were a reasonably exotic feature. Now, they seem to be all over the place. When I find mentions of them, it's 'always' with the Media Center version of XP. ...

  1. tv tuner cards...

    When I bought my Dell Inspiron 8200 tv-tuner cards for laptops were a
    reasonably exotic feature. Now, they seem to be all over the place.

    When I find mentions of them, it's 'always' with the Media Center
    version of XP.

    Is there any sort of Linux support for these cards?

    Gwen

  2. Re: tv tuner cards...

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:54:26 -0500, Gwen Morse wrote:
    > When I bought my Dell Inspiron 8200 tv-tuner cards for laptops were a
    > reasonably exotic feature. Now, they seem to be all over the place.

    Depending on your hardware the linux suppport has been there for a long time.

    > Is there any sort of Linux support for these cards?

    Have a look at http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page in the
    "Supported Hardware" area. All kinds of tv-tuners are supported (PCI, USB,
    PC-Cards).

    Philipp

  3. Re: tv tuner cards...

    Philipp Grau wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:54:26 -0500, Gwen Morse wrote:
    >
    >>When I bought my Dell Inspiron 8200 tv-tuner cards for laptops were a
    >>reasonably exotic feature. Now, they seem to be all over the place.

    > Depending on your hardware the linux suppport has been there for a long time.
    >

    >>Is there any sort of Linux support for these cards?

    > Have a look at http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page in the
    > "Supported Hardware" area. All kinds of tv-tuners are supported (PCI, USB,
    > PC-Cards).
    >
    > Philipp

    NB: best portable card for /any/ kind of support on whatever platform is
    the Hauppage WinTV Go USB. Absolutely requires USB2.0 tho or you'll get
    absolutely dire framerates.

+ Reply to Thread