Thieves locating laptops via Bluetooth? - Portable

This is a discussion on Thieves locating laptops via Bluetooth? - Portable ; With my Thinkpad 600E I wasn't concerned about the following item: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.87.html#subj9 Now I have a T43. What can I do to make sure bluetooth is disabled until such time as I have a use for it? I'm running Ubuntu ...

  1. Thieves locating laptops via Bluetooth?

    With my Thinkpad 600E I wasn't concerned about the following item:

    http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.87.html#subj9

    Now I have a T43. What can I do to make sure bluetooth is disabled
    until such time as I have a use for it? I'm running Ubuntu 5.10, but
    also have Windows XP on another partition with all the Lenovo drivers,
    in case that's needed.

    Here's the full text of the RISKS article I referenced above:

    Fri, 6 May 2005 11:35:08 -0700

    I recently lost our rental car in one of the huge parking lots of Disney
    World. The color and license plate entry on the rental car tag were
    incorrect and we couldn't remember the color and we had the row wrong.

    Eventually security drove us around while I pushed the "panic" button on the
    remote key fob at any likely looking vehicle. Security knew roughly where
    the cars were parked based on the time that you caught the shuttles. Once
    we found the car that was it - no further checks.

    During the search I asked about car theft from the parking lots given that
    they are huge and there is little sign of security patrols etc. The claim
    was that they don't have many car thefts, but they do have 4 to 5 break-ins
    every day where the contents of the cars are stolen.

    Here's the interesting part: every break-in in the past month had involved a
    laptop with internal bluetooth. Apparently if you just suspend the laptop
    the bluetooth device will still acknowledge certain requests allowing the
    thief to target only cars containing these laptops.

  2. Re: Thieves locating laptops via Bluetooth?

    Bruce Lewis wrote:
    > With my Thinkpad 600E I wasn't concerned about the following item:
    >
    > http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.87.html#subj9
    >
    > Now I have a T43. What can I do to make sure bluetooth is disabled
    > until such time as I have a use for it? I'm running Ubuntu 5.10, but
    > also have Windows XP on another partition with all the Lenovo drivers,
    > in case that's needed.
    >
    > Here's the full text of the RISKS article I referenced above:
    >

    > Fri, 6 May 2005 11:35:08 -0700
    >
    > I recently lost our rental car in one of the huge parking lots of Disney
    > World. The color and license plate entry on the rental car tag were
    > incorrect and we couldn't remember the color and we had the row wrong.
    >
    > Eventually security drove us around while I pushed the "panic" button on the
    > remote key fob at any likely looking vehicle. Security knew roughly where
    > the cars were parked based on the time that you caught the shuttles. Once
    > we found the car that was it - no further checks.
    >
    > During the search I asked about car theft from the parking lots given that
    > they are huge and there is little sign of security patrols etc. The claim
    > was that they don't have many car thefts, but they do have 4 to 5 break-ins
    > every day where the contents of the cars are stolen.
    >
    > Here's the interesting part: every break-in in the past month had involved a
    > laptop with internal bluetooth. Apparently if you just suspend the laptop
    > the bluetooth device will still acknowledge certain requests allowing the
    > thief to target only cars containing these laptops.

    which is why I avoid bluetooth like the plague. You can locate a
    bluetooth with a similarly equipped cellphone. I don't know so much with
    wifi, but all the same I disable that until and unless I absolutely need
    it. Not that I leave my laptop sitting in a car anyways (I don't have a
    car).

+ Reply to Thread