dirty_writeback_centisecs didn't stop idle writes - Portable

This is a discussion on dirty_writeback_centisecs didn't stop idle writes - Portable ; I notice my IBM Thinkpad r50e though idle still makes a faint hard disk ding-dong sound every 5 seconds so I did # echo 2000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs in Linux 2.6.12, but it didn't stop the clicking. No, I don't want ...

  1. dirty_writeback_centisecs didn't stop idle writes

    I notice my IBM Thinkpad r50e though idle still makes a faint hard
    disk ding-dong sound every 5 seconds so I did
    # echo 2000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
    in Linux 2.6.12, but it didn't stop the clicking. No, I don't want to
    spin down the disk, as I use AC power, I just want to lessen
    unnecessary activity without turning off the journal, etc.
    OK, there is some other parameter responsible for these 5 second "updates"?

  2. Re: dirty_writeback_centisecs didn't stop idle writes

    On 14 Nov 2005 20:01:05 GMT, Dan Jacobson staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I notice my IBM Thinkpad r50e though idle still makes a faint hard
    > disk ding-dong sound every 5 seconds

    Are you using ext3? By default, ext3 commits journal data every 5
    seconds.

    > I just want to lessen unnecessary activity without turning off the
    > journal, etc.

    Mount the filesystem with "commit=NN" where NN is the number of seconds
    you wish to elapse between commits. You'll probably have to edit your
    /etc/fstab for this to be permanent. Change the fstab lines like so:

    /dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1

    to:

    /dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime,commit=NNN 1 1

    ....and to set stuff up without rebooting, do this:

    mount / -o remount,commit=300

    ....HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL