kernel problems - Portable

This is a discussion on kernel problems - Portable ; Dear All, I am a relatively new linux user. I am running FC4 on my laptop and I recently attempted to install a diver for my modem via a rpm package. However it seems as if the rpm package has ...

  1. kernel problems

    Dear All,

    I am a relatively new linux user. I am running FC4 on my laptop and I
    recently attempted to install a diver for my modem via a rpm package.

    However it seems as if the rpm package has made changes to the kernel
    and as a result the system failed to boot next time I attempted to use
    it. Is there any way to recover the original kernel other than
    re-installing FC4?

    Thanks for your help

    Neil

  2. Re: kernel problems

    n.forsythe@qub.ac.uk writes:

    >Dear All,

    >I am a relatively new linux user. I am running FC4 on my laptop and I
    >recently attempted to install a diver for my modem via a rpm package.

    A driver for your modem should NOT have changed your kernel. Also your old
    kernel should still be there. I suspect what is happening is that that
    driver is loading and creating a kernel oops and crashing, or freezing
    (what kind of modem driver has anything to do with the kernel? What kind of
    modem was it?)
    Boot up in single user mode ( at the lilo Boot prompt hit esc and then type
    in linux 1)
    Now you are in as root and can fix things up.

    >However it seems as if the rpm package has made changes to the kernel
    >and as a result the system failed to boot next time I attempted to use
    >it. Is there any way to recover the original kernel other than
    >re-installing FC4?

    Where in teh boot process did it get to?

    >Thanks for your help

    >Neil

  3. Re: kernel problems

    Unruh wrote:

    > A driver for your modem should NOT have changed your kernel. Also your old
    > kernel should still be there. I suspect what is happening is that that
    > driver is loading and creating a kernel oops and crashing, or freezing
    > (what kind of modem driver has anything to do with the kernel? What kind of
    > modem was it?)

    I was attempting to install a driver (obtained from linuxant) to allow
    FC4 to recognise my winmodem. I thought the rpm package might have
    made changes to the kernel, because on the company website it mentions
    that the driver can have problems with the FC4 kernel as the "stack
    size" is 4K and it suggests modifying the kernel and recompiling.

    > Boot up in single user mode ( at the lilo Boot prompt hit esc and then type
    > in linux 1)
    > Now you are in as root and can fix things up.

    I'm using the grub loader. When I type "boot linux1" in the command
    line it gives an error "Kernel must be loaded before booting"

    > >However it seems as if the rpm package has made changes to the kernel
    > >and as a result the system failed to boot next time I attempted to use
    > >it. Is there any way to recover the original kernel other than
    > >re-installing FC4?

    > Where in teh boot process did it get to?

    It fails at the hardware initialisation process

    Thanks again

    Neil

  4. Re: kernel problems

    n.forsythe@qub.ac.uk wrote:

    > I was attempting to install a driver (obtained from linuxant) to allow
    > FC4 to recognise my winmodem. I thought the rpm package might have
    > made changes to the kernel, because on the company website it mentions
    > that the driver can have problems with the FC4 kernel as the "stack
    > size" is 4K and it suggests modifying the kernel and recompiling.

    You have to download the the kernel source (the .src.rpm file) and rebuild
    your own custom kernel with the larger stack size. See both the Release
    Notes for FC4 and the Kernel Rebuild Guide for the details;

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../RELEASE-NOTES
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

    >> Boot up in single user mode ( at the lilo Boot prompt hit esc and then
    >> type in linux 1)
    >> Now you are in as root and can fix things up.

    > I'm using the grub loader. When I type "boot linux1" in the command
    > line it gives an error "Kernel must be loaded before booting"

    When the GRUB boot splash screen is displayed press the 'Esc' key. Select
    the Linux boot choice and press the 'e' key, select the line that begins
    with something like 'kernel /vmlinuz' and press the 'e' key again. At the
    end of the line add a space followed by the number one (1). When done
    press the 'Enter' key followed by the 'b' key.