T43 a lot like T42? - Portable

This is a discussion on T43 a lot like T42? - Portable ; I'm looking at the following page: http://columbia.edu/~em36/ubuntubreezythinkpadt42.html Are the same instructions likely to work with a T43? My old 600E is getting too worn to go out anymore, so I got a nearly new T43 off craigslist. I think I'll ...

  1. T43 a lot like T42?

    I'm looking at the following page:

    http://columbia.edu/~em36/ubuntubreezythinkpadt42.html

    Are the same instructions likely to work with a T43?

    My old 600E is getting too worn to go out anymore, so I got a nearly new
    T43 off craigslist. I think I'll keep an XP partition even though I may
    never use it.

  2. Re: T43 a lot like T42?

    On 08 Nov 2005 11:31:37 -0500, Bruce Lewis wrote:

    >I'm looking at the following page:
    >
    >http://columbia.edu/~em36/ubuntubreezythinkpadt42.html
    >
    >Are the same instructions likely to work with a T43?
    >
    >My old 600E is getting too worn to go out anymore, so I got a nearly new
    >T43 off craigslist. I think I'll keep an XP partition even though I may
    >never use it.

    That's a fact-filled link I put Fedora Core 4 on my T43 a while ago,
    and for the most part it works well. The only glaring issue is that DMA
    is not available for the DVD drive. Something to do with the combo chipset
    used for IDE/SATA. (the T43 uses a PATA drive via a SATA->PATA converter
    w/the T43's SATA chipset) I believe there is hope for the future, but for
    now, no DMA. See: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=163418

    Another issue caused by the SATA-->PATA conversion w/any OS: IBM does something
    to the HD firmware to make it compatible with this conversion. If you install
    a primary HD (doesn't apply to ultrabay) that hasn't been breathed on by IBM
    the BIOS will error out with a 2010 warning. Upgrades/replacements are
    pretty expensive if they must be IBM drives.

    Some HDs can have their firmware updated, some can't. See:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

    HTH,
    Bill
    --