Handheld that can sync with corporate MS exchange server? - Portable

This is a discussion on Handheld that can sync with corporate MS exchange server? - Portable ; Hi I am looking for a handheld [Zaurus/Archos, etc.] that can run Evolution or another exchange client [are there any?]. I have no choice, I need the exchange client for my work but prefer linux as an OS, preferably debian ...

  1. Handheld that can sync with corporate MS exchange server?

    Hi

    I am looking for a handheld [Zaurus/Archos, etc.] that can run Evolution or
    another exchange client [are there any?]. I have no choice, I need the
    exchange client for my work but prefer linux as an OS, preferably debian if
    possible.

    Other requirements would be Wifi 802.11b/g and so on...

    Thanks

  2. Re: Handheld that can sync with corporate MS exchange server?

    "Lee" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking for a handheld [Zaurus/Archos, etc.] that can run Evolution
    > or another exchange client [are there any?]. I have no choice, I need the
    > exchange client for my work but prefer linux as an OS, preferably debian
    > if possible.
    >
    > Other requirements would be Wifi 802.11b/g and so on...
    >
    > Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Thanks

    Anyone?

  3. Re: Handheld that can sync with corporate MS exchange server?

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:09:08 -0000, Lee wrote:

    > "Lee" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am looking for a handheld [Zaurus/Archos, etc.] that can run Evolution
    >> or another exchange client [are there any?]. I have no choice, I need the
    >> exchange client for my work but prefer linux as an OS, preferably debian
    >> if possible.
    >>
    >> Other requirements would be Wifi 802.11b/g and so on...
    >>
    >> Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Anyone?

    You could do it with an intermediate solution inbetween the handheld and
    the exchange server I would think. If you synced mail, calendar, etc to
    evolution and used the exchange connector for evolution, I bet the mail
    and events would sync then to the handheld from evolution. I think that
    this means you would have a laptop or something running evolution and the
    exchange connector and then sync the laptop to the handheld. If the
    handheld could do network sync'ing, you could leave the laptop or desktop
    running all the time and sync things remotely... Maybe.

    There is the new nokia tablet computer that they have just announced
    that has linux running on it. I'm not so sure whether they have evolution
    on it or not; but it runs a debian mix.

    There may also be palm-based solutions that have shareware mail
    applications that could sync directly to a exchange server. One for
    corporate users that I know of are the Good Technologies tools that will
    sync mail, calendars, todo's, etc to a variety of handheld devices. I
    don't think that they have Linux clients but I know they have clients for
    RIM, WinCE, and palm devices.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  4. Re: Handheld that can sync with corporate MS exchange server?

    "Michael Perry" wrote in message
    news:slrndnk51u.if8.mperry@foobar.lnxpowered.org.. .
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:09:08 -0000, Lee wrote:
    >>
    >> "Lee" wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I am looking for a handheld [Zaurus/Archos, etc.] that can run Evolution
    >>> or another exchange client [are there any?]. I have no choice, I need
    >>> the
    >>> exchange client for my work but prefer linux as an OS, preferably debian
    >>> if possible.
    >>>
    >>> Other requirements would be Wifi 802.11b/g and so on...
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Anyone?

    > You could do it with an intermediate solution inbetween the handheld and
    > the exchange server I would think. If you synced mail, calendar, etc to
    > evolution and used the exchange connector for evolution, I bet the mail
    > and events would sync then to the handheld from evolution. I think that
    > this means you would have a laptop or something running evolution and the
    > exchange connector and then sync the laptop to the handheld. If the
    > handheld could do network sync'ing, you could leave the laptop or desktop
    > running all the time and sync things remotely... Maybe.
    >
    > There is the new nokia tablet computer that they have just announced
    > that has linux running on it. I'm not so sure whether they have evolution
    > on it or not; but it runs a debian mix.
    >
    > There may also be palm-based solutions that have shareware mail
    > applications that could sync directly to a exchange server. One for
    > corporate users that I know of are the Good Technologies tools that will
    > sync mail, calendars, todo's, etc to a variety of handheld devices. I
    > don't think that they have Linux clients but I know they have clients for
    > RIM, WinCE, and palm devices.

    I am trying to access the exchange server while travelling around on public
    transport and wish to avoid carrying my laptop around. However, I think this
    is the start of finding my way - even if I sync through a phone connection.
    The key was to find a small device that can run evolution or similar. I had
    not thought of exploring palm devices.

    Many thanks.

+ Reply to Thread