Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, US Robotics - Portable

This is a discussion on Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, US Robotics - Portable ; Hi there, I have a desktop linux PC and I've been fighting for the past few months to get the wifi running on it, but with partial success. The card I have (DLINK DWL G520+) has un unsupported chip, for ...

  1. Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, US Robotics

    Hi there, I have a desktop linux PC and I've been fighting
    for the past few months to get the wifi running on it, but
    with partial success.

    The card I have (DLINK DWL G520+) has un unsupported chip,
    for which there are some linux drivers (acx100) that
    kinda work but lock up the whole machine every once in
    a while (i've tried every trick on the book), and loses
    the connection for no reason (other people in the appt
    have their Win boxes running fine with the same router).

    Since I'm sick and tired of it, I'd like to know
    which of the following cards works (yes, I searched
    google & i've seen the HP list that's on the web of
    supported cards, but I still can't find out if they're
    reliable).

    So, if anybody has experience with one of these cards,
    please let me know if it works or not, and what problems
    I might find with them.

    I'm using Fedora Core 4.

    Cards (this is what the store here carries):
    Linksys WMP54G
    Planet WL8314
    Us Robotics 5417

    Thanks A LOT to everybody who will want to help me
    out of this wifiless hole.

  2. Re: Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, US Robotics

    In comp.os.linux.networking zuhufu@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm using Fedora Core 4.
    >
    > Cards (this is what the store here carries):
    > Linksys WMP54G
    > Planet WL8314
    > Us Robotics 5417

    I'm using Netgear MA311 (802.11b) PCI card in dual-bootable
    computer. Works very well both under Windows 2000 and RHEL3.
    Under RedHat linux the "orinoco_pci" kernel module takes care
    of the card. Worked almost flawlessly first with Netgear MR814
    router, and now - with 2WIRE home portal. Admittedly, it's
    rather old (obsolete?) product, but you may find it somewhere
    online.

    --
    andrei

  3. Re: Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, US Robotics

  4. Re: Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, USRobotics

    On 27 Oct 2005 04:08:33 -0700
    zuhufu@gmail.com wrote:

    > The card I have (DLINK DWL G520+) has un unsupported chip,
    > for which there are some linux drivers (acx100) that
    > kinda work but lock up the whole machine every once in
    > a while (i've tried every trick on the book), and loses
    > the connection for no reason (other people in the appt
    > have their Win boxes running fine with the same router).

    Don't use the acx100 drivers, you'll get better results from using ndiswrapper with the Windows drivers. That's what I do with my DLink 520+ and it works fine. Mepis came with ndiswrapper and the drivers, so I didn't have to set it up manually.

  5. Re: Help me choose Linux WIFI PCI card. Linksys, Planet, US Robotics

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 06:25:43 GMT, Mandeep Shergill
    wrote:

    >On 27 Oct 2005 04:08:33 -0700
    >zuhufu@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> The card I have (DLINK DWL G520+) has un unsupported chip,
    >> for which there are some linux drivers (acx100) that
    >> kinda work but lock up the whole machine every once in
    >> a while (i've tried every trick on the book), and loses
    >> the connection for no reason (other people in the appt
    >> have their Win boxes running fine with the same router).

    >Don't use the acx100 drivers, you'll get better results from using ndiswrapper with the Windows drivers. That's what I do with my DLink 520+ and it works fine. Mepis came with ndiswrapper and the drivers, so I didn't have to set it up manually.

    The OP mentions FC4. I don't know what the current status of
    ndiswraper vs 4K kernel stacks in Fedora is, but a kernel build may
    be required. Some info here: http://lwn.net/Articles/150580/
    I can't get into http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/
    just now to see what they have to say.

    Bill