Used ones - Portable

This is a discussion on Used ones - Portable ; Hi there, I'm looking to get a used portable computer, but since I never used one I wonder if there is anything specific about them I should know? I will be installing Slackware and will need to have a 3D ...

  1. Used ones

    Hi there,
    I'm looking to get a used portable computer, but since I never used
    one I wonder if there is anything specific about them I should know?

    I will be installing Slackware and will need to have a 3D accelerated
    video card, about 128MB of ram, a disk of at least 10-15G and a cd-rom.
    CPU speed is not important, at least 200Mhz should be fine for me!

    How can I know if it will be compatible or not (or should I care
    about compatibility at all?).

    I'd like to know if there are anything specific to the portable
    technology in Linux (things to install/configure and then know how to
    use them, like the battery stuff, etc...)

    Thanks for starting pointers,
    Simon

  2. Re: Used ones

    On 2005-10-25, Simon wrote:

    > I'm looking to get a used portable computer, but since I never used
    > one I wonder if there is anything specific about them I should know?
    >
    > I will be installing Slackware and will need to have a 3D accelerated
    > video card, about 128MB of ram, a disk of at least 10-15G and a cd-rom.
    > CPU speed is not important, at least 200Mhz should be fine for me!
    >
    > How can I know if it will be compatible or not (or should I care
    > about compatibility at all?).
    >
    > I'd like to know if there are anything specific to the portable
    > technology in Linux (things to install/configure and then know how to
    > use them, like the battery stuff, etc...)

    Thinkpads ar generally a safe bet. I bought a used Thinkpad-240
    (Celeron-400, 192MB RAM, 12GB HD) for about $150 on eBay last year. It
    works fine with linux.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: Used ones

    Simon wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > I'm looking to get a used portable computer, but since I never used
    > one I wonder if there is anything specific about them I should know?
    >
    > I will be installing Slackware and will need to have a 3D accelerated
    > video card, about 128MB of ram, a disk of at least 10-15G and a
    > cd-rom. CPU speed is not important, at least 200Mhz should be fine
    > for me!
    >
    > How can I know if it will be compatible or not (or should I care
    > about compatibility at all?).
    >
    > I'd like to know if there are anything specific to the portable
    > technology in Linux (things to install/configure and then know how to
    > use them, like the battery stuff, etc...)
    >
    > Thanks for starting pointers,
    > Simon

    Awhile back I purchased a Thinkpad T23 from overstock.com and thought
    it was a great value. It has a 1.1ghz P3 processor and it came with
    128mb of memory and a 10g hard disk drive. You can find a lot of
    information on the linux laptops website including what people have
    done to get things working. The T23 works very well these days but
    when I got it I had a few issues with ACPI but those seem to have
    disappeared with some of the newer kernels and suspends/sleep events
    work very nicely. I also have seen some with intel 2200 abg minipci
    cards in them which have an open source driver.

    All told, I purchased the laptop for around 700.00 and it came with a
    CD/rw drive I believe. I upgraded the hard disk drive to 80g for
    around 150.00 and bought a memory upgrade for around 90.00.

    The ACPI stuff may take a bit of work but I think you can find a lot of
    great help on the linux thinkpad mailing list and the thinkwiki. It
    details a lot of the ways/means to get things like acpi, wifi, etc
    working. The integrated ethernet card just works fine with the e100
    driver. I did have some problems initially with the modem but I rarely
    use a modem these days so it was not a major pain.

    I also have a Dell Inspiron 4100 that is very similar to the Thinkpad.
    It has a Pentium III 1.1ghz with 512mb of memory and an 80g drive. It
    also works very well with Linux and APM these days. At the current
    time it runs XP for some work stuff I need and I run VMware workstation
    on it with Fedora Core 4 as a guest. It does VMware well albiet a bit
    slowly.

    --
    Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  4. Re: Used ones

    Thank you guys, I'll try and look in my area for a used thinkpad!

    Thanks!

    Michael Perry wrote:
    > Simon wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there,
    >> I'm looking to get a used portable computer, but since I never used
    >>one I wonder if there is anything specific about them I should know?
    >>
    >>I will be installing Slackware and will need to have a 3D accelerated
    >>video card, about 128MB of ram, a disk of at least 10-15G and a
    >>cd-rom. CPU speed is not important, at least 200Mhz should be fine
    >>for me!
    >>
    >> How can I know if it will be compatible or not (or should I care
    >>about compatibility at all?).
    >>
    >>I'd like to know if there are anything specific to the portable
    >>technology in Linux (things to install/configure and then know how to
    >>use them, like the battery stuff, etc...)
    >>
    >>Thanks for starting pointers,
    >> Simon

    > Awhile back I purchased a Thinkpad T23 from overstock.com and thought
    > it was a great value. It has a 1.1ghz P3 processor and it came with
    > 128mb of memory and a 10g hard disk drive. You can find a lot of
    > information on the linux laptops website including what people have
    > done to get things working. The T23 works very well these days but
    > when I got it I had a few issues with ACPI but those seem to have
    > disappeared with some of the newer kernels and suspends/sleep events
    > work very nicely. I also have seen some with intel 2200 abg minipci
    > cards in them which have an open source driver.
    >
    > All told, I purchased the laptop for around 700.00 and it came with a
    > CD/rw drive I believe. I upgraded the hard disk drive to 80g for
    > around 150.00 and bought a memory upgrade for around 90.00.
    >
    > The ACPI stuff may take a bit of work but I think you can find a lot of
    > great help on the linux thinkpad mailing list and the thinkwiki. It
    > details a lot of the ways/means to get things like acpi, wifi, etc
    > working. The integrated ethernet card just works fine with the e100
    > driver. I did have some problems initially with the modem but I rarely
    > use a modem these days so it was not a major pain.
    >
    > I also have a Dell Inspiron 4100 that is very similar to the Thinkpad.
    > It has a Pentium III 1.1ghz with 512mb of memory and an 80g drive. It
    > also works very well with Linux and APM these days. At the current
    > time it runs XP for some work stuff I need and I run VMware workstation
    > on it with Fedora Core 4 as a guest. It does VMware well albiet a bit
    > slowly.

+ Reply to Thread