Compaq Presario 1700 w Mandriva 2005LE: keyboard configuration - Portable

This is a discussion on Compaq Presario 1700 w Mandriva 2005LE: keyboard configuration - Portable ; Hello, I'm experiencing a few problems with my Compaq Presario 1700 with Mandriva 2500LE installed on it. The first is the keyboard configuration. Though I can work with it configured as a English International keyboard there are some keys that ...

  1. Compaq Presario 1700 w Mandriva 2005LE: keyboard configuration

    Hello,

    I'm experiencing a few problems with my Compaq Presario 1700 with Mandriva
    2500LE installed on it.
    The first is the keyboard configuration. Though I can work with it
    configured as a English International keyboard there are some keys that do
    not behave as they should.
    Secondly it does not go to sleep mode when closing the TFT, nor does it
    shutdown completely like it would under windoze.
    Does anyone have an idea where I can find more information about it?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Compaq Presario 1700 w Mandriva 2005LE: keyboard configuration

    Fred wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm experiencing a few problems with my Compaq Presario 1700 with Mandriva
    > 2500LE installed on it.
    > The first is the keyboard configuration. Though I can work with it
    > configured as a English International keyboard there are some keys that do
    > not behave as they should.

    Strange Compaq keyboard layouts demand specific mappings. This is why
    the Locales have system-specific mapping schemes.

    > Secondly it does not go to sleep mode when closing the TFT, nor does it
    > shutdown completely like it would under windoze.

    OK, for this one, the Presario 1700 does not support APM. Try passing
    acpi_force=yes apm=off at the boot prompt, then run through the ACPI
    configuration file to set the lid event. Alternatively, update to
    Mandriva 10 and your kernel to 2.6.13-1-686 (specific kernel build for
    PII/III/IV/Celeron with ACPI [modules may be seperate!]), but this /may/
    make your system unstable so keep the old kernel in the bootloader in
    case you need to fall back on it.

    > Does anyone have an idea where I can find more information about it?

    There's not a great deal of help on setting up Mandriva on a laptop of
    the age you're talking about. You may be better off using Debian, as
    this is more geared up for a wider range of hardware; try a Knoppix
    LiveCD first to determine any potential problems.

    > Thanks in advance!

    HTH. HAND.

+ Reply to Thread