What portable to buy - Portable

This is a discussion on What portable to buy - Portable ; Hi, I want to buy a new portable but I was wondering what brand/model to choose if I want to run Linux on it. From reading in this newsgroup it seems that installing Linux on a portable is not so ...

  1. What portable to buy

    Hi,

    I want to buy a new portable but I was wondering what brand/model to
    choose if I want to run Linux on it. From reading in this newsgroup it
    seems that installing Linux on a portable is not so easy to do...(to
    say the least). I'm not a Linux expert and I don't want to become one
    so it should be a smooth procedure...

    So if anyone can give me a recommendation for a fast notebook with a
    decent screen and big hard disk(60GB+) on which you can easily install
    Linux I would be very thankfull.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: What portable to buy

    TBE wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to buy a new portable but I was wondering what brand/model to
    > choose if I want to run Linux on it. From reading in this newsgroup it
    > seems that installing Linux on a portable is not so easy to do...(to
    > say the least). I'm not a Linux expert and I don't want to become one
    > so it should be a smooth procedure...
    >
    > So if anyone can give me a recommendation for a fast notebook with a
    > decent screen and big hard disk(60GB+) on which you can easily install
    > Linux I would be very thankfull.

    Download and burn a knoppix CD, take it to the store and re-boot (with
    permission) the laptop(s) your interested in purchasing;

    http://www.knoppix.org/

    Also have a look at; http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    Providing a recommendation is akin to telling you which car you should
    drive. With that said Acer, IBM, Dell, HP, Toshiba and others all make
    laptops that work well with Linux. I've been looking at (no
    recommendation);

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-...oductDetail.do

    which meets all of your specifcations.

  3. Re: What portable to buy

    Hello,

    You don't want to become a Linux expert?

    Then an I-Book or a Power-Book is for you. Inclusive Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
    installed and configured.

    Ciao @+

    TBE wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to buy a new portable but I was wondering what brand/model to
    > choose if I want to run Linux on it. From reading in this newsgroup it
    > seems that installing Linux on a portable is not so easy to do...(to
    > say the least). I'm not a Linux expert and I don't want to become one
    > so it should be a smooth procedure...
    >
    > So if anyone can give me a recommendation for a fast notebook with a
    > decent screen and big hard disk(60GB+) on which you can easily install
    > Linux I would be very thankfull.
    >
    > Thanks,

  4. Re: What portable to buy

    Not really an option since I want to have a dual boot with Windows
    XP...

    Not everybody has the time to become a Linux expert. There are also
    ordinary users who want to give Linux a try!

  5. Re: What portable to buy

    Hello,

    Then, as Lenard wrote, a bootable knoppix CD is a solution.
    I don't know if the 4.0 version is good but I tested the 3.9 on a HP
    Pavillion z5000 (P4 HT and centrino 1.6) with no major problems except the
    usual V90/V92 modem problem and WLAN issues.

    For widescreens, I read that MDV 2006, 2005LE and Suse 10 should support
    these screen formats. Knoppix 3.9 has only 4/3 screen support...

    What can be read on emperorlinux 's homepage is quite questionnable! But why
    not?

    Ciao @+

  6. Re: What portable to buy

    TBE wrote:

    > I want to buy a new portable but I was wondering what brand/model to
    > choose if I want to run Linux on it.

    I would decide which laptop I liked,
    and then google to see if anyone is running Linux on it,
    and in particular if there is a mailing list for Linux on that model.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366