Getting modem to work on Toshiba Sat Pro 4600 - Portable

This is a discussion on Getting modem to work on Toshiba Sat Pro 4600 - Portable ; Hi, I've found many websites describing how to get Linux to recognise the built-in modem in my Sat Pro 4600, but I can't get it to work. Basically, I've installed ltmodem.o in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/misc/ , but when I try to install ...

  1. Getting modem to work on Toshiba Sat Pro 4600

    Hi,
    I've found many websites describing how to get Linux to recognise the
    built-in modem in my Sat Pro 4600, but I can't get it to work.

    Basically, I've installed ltmodem.o in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/misc/ , but
    when I try to install it (insmod or modprobe) it doesn't find it.

    Is there a "secret list" somewhere showing the kernel where the modules
    are? I'm running "stock" Mandrake 10.0, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk

    Any help, please?

    Lloyd Sumpter

  2. Re: Getting modem to work on Toshiba Sat Pro 4600

    Lloyd writes:

    >Hi,
    > I've found many websites describing how to get Linux to recognise the
    >built-in modem in my Sat Pro 4600, but I can't get it to work.

    >Basically, I've installed ltmodem.o in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/misc/ , but
    >when I try to install it (insmod or modprobe) it doesn't find it.

    >Is there a "secret list" somewhere showing the kernel where the modules
    >are? I'm running "stock" Mandrake 10.0, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk

    Yes, and that list is updated with
    depmod
    You have to run that first after you placed your ltmode.o into that file
    (assuming you are actually running the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel.

  3. Re: Getting modem to work on Toshiba Sat Pro 4600

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:30:38 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Lloyd writes:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >> I've found many websites describing how to get Linux to recognise the
    >>built-in modem in my Sat Pro 4600, but I can't get it to work.

    >>Basically, I've installed ltmodem.o in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/misc/ , but
    >>when I try to install it (insmod or modprobe) it doesn't find it.

    >>Is there a "secret list" somewhere showing the kernel where the modules
    >>are? I'm running "stock" Mandrake 10.0, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk

    > Yes, and that list is updated with
    > depmod
    > You have to run that first after you placed your ltmode.o into that file
    > (assuming you are actually running the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel.

    Thanks! I looked at depmod, and after messing with the filename a bit
    (gzipping and changing to .ko), depmod found it. Unfortunately, it still
    won't load.

    Looks like despite it being for Mandrake 10.0,it's for a 2.4 kernel. I've
    looked around and apparently there's another driver for the Lucent modems
    for 2.6 kernels, but all I've been able to find is source, and I need the
    complete kernel source to compile. Before I tear my room apart looking for
    the CDROMS that have the kernel, has ANYBODY compiled a driver for Lucent
    modems for kernel 2.6.3-7mdk?

    Lloyd

  4. Re: Getting modem to work on Toshiba Sat Pro 4600

    Lloyd wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:30:38 +0000, Unruh wrote:
    >

    >>Lloyd writes:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>> I've found many websites describing how to get Linux to recognise the
    >>>built-in modem in my Sat Pro 4600, but I can't get it to work.

    >>>Basically, I've installed ltmodem.o in /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/misc/ , but
    >>>when I try to install it (insmod or modprobe) it doesn't find it.

    >>>Is there a "secret list" somewhere showing the kernel where the modules
    >>>are? I'm running "stock" Mandrake 10.0, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk

    >>Yes, and that list is updated with
    >>depmod
    >>You have to run that first after you placed your ltmode.o into that file
    >>(assuming you are actually running the 2.6.3-7mdk kernel.

    > Thanks! I looked at depmod, and after messing with the filename a bit
    > (gzipping and changing to .ko), depmod found it. Unfortunately, it still
    > won't load.
    >
    > Looks like despite it being for Mandrake 10.0,it's for a 2.4 kernel. I've
    > looked around and apparently there's another driver for the Lucent modems
    > for 2.6 kernels, but all I've been able to find is source, and I need the
    > complete kernel source to compile. Before I tear my room apart looking for
    > the CDROMS that have the kernel, has ANYBODY compiled a driver for Lucent
    > modems for kernel 2.6.3-7mdk?
    >
    > Lloyd

    If nothing else can be found, you could try linuxant, but if you want to
    run it above 14.4k, you'll have to pay them for the full version.

    Karl S.

+ Reply to Thread