any suggestions for a Linux based PDA ? - Portable

This is a discussion on any suggestions for a Linux based PDA ? - Portable ; Hi, I've been looking at reviews for various linux-based PDA's and am a bit confused. Ideally what I would need - and this may be a tall order - is to run say, a local webserver (say apache), PHP, a ...

  1. any suggestions for a Linux based PDA ?

    Hi,

    I've been looking at reviews for various linux-based PDA's and am a bit
    confused.

    Ideally what I would need - and this may be a tall order - is to run
    say, a local webserver (say apache), PHP, a stripped down browser, and
    a Terminal application that could run a copy of Vim.

    >From what I can see, many of these devices run heavily modified

    variants of Linux, and it seems the possibility of adding additional
    software is quite limited.

    I did once, a few years ago, manage to get Linux running on a Psion
    Series 5, and although it was a great machine in its day, it is now too
    underpowered to do much of what I need to do.

    I would also need a device that could sync with Mac OS X.

    The Sharp Zaurus looked like a possibility, but is there a decent
    alternative ?

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks
    SS.

  2. Re: any suggestions for a Linux based PDA ?

    "sylvian stone" writes:
    > The Sharp Zaurus looked like a possibility, but is there a decent
    > alternative ?

    The next step up would be a small laptop.

  3. Re: any suggestions for a Linux based PDA ?

    Small laptops - i.e tiny Sony Vaio - normally equate to lots of money
    - which to be honest is also a factor.....

  4. Re: any suggestions for a Linux based PDA ?

+ Reply to Thread