Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives - Portable

This is a discussion on Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives - Portable ; Hi. My IBM R40 has the usual supercool ThinkPad hot-swappable drives. I have both a CD/RW and floppy drive for it. I notice that under XP (I use a dual-boot configuration) there's an icon in the tray that will allow ...

  1. Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives

    Hi. My IBM R40 has the usual supercool ThinkPad hot-swappable drives.
    I have both a CD/RW and floppy drive for it. I notice that under XP (I
    use a dual-boot configuration) there's an icon in the tray that will
    allow you to remove the drives safely. Is there a comparable procedure
    under Linux (Mandrake 10.2) that would allow me to hot-swap the drives?

    MTIA, Matt

  2. Re: Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives

    On 2 Oct 2005 14:50:15 -0700, Gerbilio staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > My IBM R40 has the usual supercool ThinkPad hot-swappable drives. Is
    > there a procedure under Linux (Mandrake 10.2) that would allow me to
    > hot-swap the drives?

    Install hdparm and tpctl, then use the script in the hdparm source
    tarball that's designed for Thinkpads. This has been reported to work
    fine by some other folks, and it really just involves an hdparm -U
    followed by an hdparm -R. I can't really be more specific because I
    only have one Ultrabay device. (And how much use do you get out of a
    3.5" floppy drive these days, anyway? It's been at least 2 years since
    I've needed one for anything....)

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives

    Hi. Thanks for your reply. Coupla things: one, though I rarely use
    floppies these days, I have some files on some old floppies that I
    occasionally need to access.

    Two: what is the significance of the Black Sun? I had no idea that
    was where I have been staggering.

    Matt

  4. Re: Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives

    On 2 Oct 2005 15:27:57 -0700, Gerbilio staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:

    Chris F. A. Johnson wrote good advice on this elsewhere:
    --------
    When using groups.google.com to reply to a Usenet article, click on
    "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at
    the bottom of the article headers. This will quote the previous message
    in the accepted manner. Trim the parts of it that are not relevant to
    your follow-up.
    --------

    >>On 2 Oct 2005 14:50:15 -0700, Gerbilio staggered into the Black Sun
    >>and said:
    >>> My IBM R40 has ThinkPad hot-swappable drives. Is there a procedure
    >>> under Linux (Mandrake 10.2) that would allow me to hot-swap the
    >>> drives?

    >>Install hdparm and tpctl, then use the script in the hdparm source
    >>tarball that's designed for Thinkpads. This has been reported to work
    >>fine by some other folks, and it really just involves an hdparm -U
    >>followed by an hdparm -R.

    > Though I rarely use floppies these days, I have some files on some
    > old floppies that I occasionally need to access.

    It'd be a good idea to transfer those files to a faster, more reliable,
    and more easily accessible medium if you can. I've seen too many 3.5"
    floppies suddenly suffer massive medium errors to trust them at all.

    > What is the significance of the Black Sun?

    _Snow Crash_, Neal Stephenson. (Or is it related to track 4 of "La
    Sexorcisto: Devil Music volume 1" by White Zombie? Or Samuel Beckett's
    analysis of "Krapp's Last Tape"?)

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  5. Re: Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives

    On 2 Oct 2005 14:50:15 -0700, "Gerbilio" wrote:

    >Hi. My IBM R40 has the usual supercool ThinkPad hot-swappable drives.
    >I have both a CD/RW and floppy drive for it. I notice that under XP (I
    >use a dual-boot configuration) there's an icon in the tray that will
    >allow you to remove the drives safely. Is there a comparable procedure
    >under Linux (Mandrake 10.2) that would allow me to hot-swap the drives?

    On a semi-related topic.

    I have an Inspiron 8200 with a removable media bay.

    I swap between several secondary hard drives, and in order to do so, I
    have to edit my fstab each time I switch.

    Is there a way to swap drives and have the fstab update itself on the
    fly???

    I run Fedora Core 4, and m happy to install any packages that might
    facilitate this process.

    Gwen

    --
    Gwen Morse (Dell Inspiron 8200 bought 9/2002 Service Tag: 1Z9LT11)
    P4-m 1.7. 15" UXGA screen. NVIDIA GeForce4 440 64 meg DDR video card. 24x CD-RW/8x DVD-RW. 1.256 gigs RAM. Internal TrueMobile 1150 miniPCI card. Primary 80 gig drive dualbooting Windows 2000 and Fedora Core 4 Linux.

  6. Re: Thinkpad "hot-swappable" drives

    Gwen Morse wrote:
    > On 2 Oct 2005 14:50:15 -0700, "Gerbilio" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi. My IBM R40 has the usual supercool ThinkPad hot-swappable drives.
    >>I have both a CD/RW and floppy drive for it. I notice that under XP (I
    >>use a dual-boot configuration) there's an icon in the tray that will
    >>allow you to remove the drives safely. Is there a comparable procedure
    >>under Linux (Mandrake 10.2) that would allow me to hot-swap the drives?

    > On a semi-related topic.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 8200 with a removable media bay.
    >
    > I swap between several secondary hard drives, and in order to do so, I
    > have to edit my fstab each time I switch.
    >
    > Is there a way to swap drives and have the fstab update itself on the
    > fly???
    >
    > I run Fedora Core 4, and m happy to install any packages that might
    > facilitate this process.
    >
    > Gwen

    there's a utility called hotswap... it's for debian, I dunno if it'll
    work on fedora or if you can import it as an alienware package.

+ Reply to Thread