New laptop/Linux - Portable

This is a discussion on New laptop/Linux - Portable ; Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New laptop/Linux

  1. New laptop/Linux

    Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
    Jordan


  2. Re: New laptop/Linux

    On 28-Sep-2005, "DigitalHighway" wrote:

    > I just bought a Dell Laptop
    > Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    > regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    > confused with all the Linux versions to choose from.


    I turned an Inspiron 9300 into a multi-boot machine. (There's also that Dell
    maintenace partition, y'know.)

    I used Partition Wizard to reduce the size of the WinXP partition. Then I
    installed Red Hat Enterprise WS.

    It was better to allow the linux installation routine, rather than Partition
    Wizard, to turn the used disk-space into a linux partition. I also use
    grub, rather than System Commander, to manage boot choice. (The alternative
    is to use both, which seems silly.)

    Some issues:

    To support the softmodem, you'll either need to get the free 14.4Kbps driver
    from linuxant.com, or pop for the 52Kbps driver from them. kudzu and other
    software have trouble if a PCMCIA modem is installed; I don't know how to
    resolve this trouble (and the big meanies in this newsgroup won't tell me).

    On my system, the installation finds the two USB ports on the side, but
    doesn't recognize the four in the back.

    I had to tweak a configuration file with a text editor, for 1920x1200 pel^2
    display resolution.

    WinXp will not be able to read from or write to the linux partition; someone
    was working on a driver, but that project seems moribund. A driver is
    available to allow linux to read from the WinXP (NTFS) partition; but it's
    not been developed to the point that linux can write to the WinXP partition.

  3. Re: New laptop/Linux

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:11:57 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On 28 Sep 2005 13:37:34 -0700, DigitalHighway
    > wrote:
    >> Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    >> Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    >> regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    >> confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    >> Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    >> good place to start.

    > You don't need Partition Magic. Every Linux distribution includes its
    > own partitioning software.
    > Red Hat and Mandrake are two different distributions, and Mandrake has
    > changed its name to Mandriva. Red Hat charges a substantial fee for
    > their brand name and support, but there are free alternatives such as
    > Fedora, White Box or Centos.
    >
    >> But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    >> more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    >> version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks Jordan
    >>

    > I suggest you try distrowatch.com. Also, nowadays many distros offer
    > live CDs that you can try before you install. Knoppix and Ubuntu are
    > two popular Debian-based distributions.


    If the OP has PartitionMagic it's a better alternative for resizing the
    NTFS partition then Mandriva is (the Fedora installer doesn't do partition
    resizing). Both Mandriva and Fedora Core 4 are good choices for a Linux
    distro. I prefer Fedora these days because it does a better job with
    Athlon64 systems but the OP has a Dell which is Intel based so that's not
    a concern.

    As for doing the partitioning make sure that you create separate /, /home
    and swap partitions. I always make two partitions for /, one for the
    current distro and one reserved for a future upgrade. When you do a Linux
    upgrade in the future you want to be able to do a clean install which
    means that you need to keep your data on a separate partition, thus the
    separate /home. It's also nice to be able to do an upgrade without blowing
    away the current working OS, that's why you want to reserve a second equal
    sized partition. Since you have a laptop you might not have the luxury of
    reserving 8G for a reserved partition but do it if you can.


  4. Re: New laptop/Linux

    On 29-Sep-2005, I wrote:

    > It was better to allow the linux installation routine, rather than
    > Partition Wizard, to turn the used disk-space into a linux
    > partition.


    "unused disk-space"

  5. Re: New laptop/Linux

    DigitalHighway wrote:
    > I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    > good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    > more advanced.


    No, not really and that regardless what you mean by "advanced". The
    best one for a start is most likely that one which is used by some of
    your friends around so they can show you if you will tangle yourself
    somwhere.

    If you want something Debian based and "easy" then Knoppix, Ubuntu or
    Mepis should do. I hear from various sources the the last one will be
    the easiest, whatever that may mean, to assorted Windows "refugees".

    Michal

  6. Re: New laptop/Linux

    DigitalHighway wrote:
    > Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    > Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    > regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    > confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    > Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    > good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    > more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    > version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
    > Jordan
    >


    I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Fedora Core 4. This is the
    "Community" version of RedHat. Fedora (or RH) doesn't come with a lot of
    multimedia support, ie. no mp3 or dvd decoders (for legal reasons).
    Luckily the livna (rpm.livna.org) repository has all the additional
    packages you need. RedHat has turned into an Ģenterpriseģ distro these
    days. It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. RedHat
    also has a long life-cycle, so if you want to always have the latest and
    greatest, you'd better coose something else. Fedora is pretty much up to
    date. Because the building blocks of RedHat is GPL they have to release
    the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros
    like White Box, Centos and others, which in effect is RedHat without
    logos, trademarks, commercial support and licence fee.

    For a laptop wifi-support is also likely to be of importance. With my
    broadcom card I have to use ndiswrapper (available from livna).
    Ndiswrapper is a way to facilitate native windows drivers under linux.

    So, all in all, FC4 + Livna is pretty ok, but you need to manually set
    up a few things. Not difficult though ...

    Many people recommend the Debian based Ubuntu distro, which supposedly
    has good wifi support. Mandriva is also known to have exellent hardware
    support. Suse I haven't tried.

    When it comes to partitioning, the normal procedure is to set up
    partitions during installation using tools built into the setup program.
    Ofcourse you can also use PM beforehand to prepare the partitions.

    --
    jon martin solaas


  7. Re: New laptop/Linux

    Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
    > DigitalHighway wrote:
    >
    >> Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    >> Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    >> regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    >> confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    >> Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    >> good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    >> more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    >> version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
    >> Jordan
    >>

    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Fedora Core 4. This is the
    > "Community" version of RedHat. Fedora (or RH) doesn't come with a lot of
    > multimedia support, ie. no mp3 or dvd decoders (for legal reasons).
    > Luckily the livna (rpm.livna.org) repository has all the additional
    > packages you need. RedHat has turned into an Ģenterpriseģ distro these
    > days. It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. RedHat
    > also has a long life-cycle, so if you want to always have the latest and
    > greatest, you'd better coose something else. Fedora is pretty much up to
    > date. Because the building blocks of RedHat is GPL they have to release
    > the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros
    > like White Box, Centos and others, which in effect is RedHat without
    > logos, trademarks, commercial support and licence fee.
    >
    > For a laptop wifi-support is also likely to be of importance. With my
    > broadcom card I have to use ndiswrapper (available from livna).
    > Ndiswrapper is a way to facilitate native windows drivers under linux.
    >
    > So, all in all, FC4 + Livna is pretty ok, but you need to manually set
    > up a few things. Not difficult though ...
    >
    > Many people recommend the Debian based Ubuntu distro, which supposedly
    > has good wifi support. Mandriva is also known to have exellent hardware
    > support. Suse I haven't tried.
    >
    > When it comes to partitioning, the normal procedure is to set up
    > partitions during installation using tools built into the setup program.
    > Ofcourse you can also use PM beforehand to prepare the partitions.
    >


    Inspiron 4100 here running Knoppix/Debian. All's fine except the usual
    dicky wifi via Intel miniPCI scavenged from a dead Fujitsu Centrino.
    Everything else configures just dandy.

    --
    Cheers, http://www.dotware.co.uk
    Jim http://www.dotware-entertainment.co.uk

    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of
    Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
    becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

  8. Re: New laptop/Linux

    Jim wrote:

    > Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
    >> DigitalHighway wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    >>> Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    >>> regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    >>> confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    >>> Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    >>> good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    >>> more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    >>> version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
    >>> Jordan
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Fedora Core 4. This is the
    >> "Community" version of RedHat. Fedora (or RH) doesn't come with a lot of
    >> multimedia support, ie. no mp3 or dvd decoders (for legal reasons).
    >> Luckily the livna (rpm.livna.org) repository has all the additional
    >> packages you need. RedHat has turned into an Ģenterpriseģ distro these
    >> days. It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. RedHat
    >> also has a long life-cycle, so if you want to always have the latest and
    >> greatest, you'd better coose something else. Fedora is pretty much up to
    >> date. Because the building blocks of RedHat is GPL they have to release
    >> the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros
    >> like White Box, Centos and others, which in effect is RedHat without
    >> logos, trademarks, commercial support and licence fee.
    >>
    >> For a laptop wifi-support is also likely to be of importance. With my
    >> broadcom card I have to use ndiswrapper (available from livna).
    >> Ndiswrapper is a way to facilitate native windows drivers under linux.
    >>
    >> So, all in all, FC4 + Livna is pretty ok, but you need to manually set
    >> up a few things. Not difficult though ...
    >>
    >> Many people recommend the Debian based Ubuntu distro, which supposedly
    >> has good wifi support. Mandriva is also known to have exellent hardware
    >> support. Suse I haven't tried.
    >>
    >> When it comes to partitioning, the normal procedure is to set up
    >> partitions during installation using tools built into the setup program.
    >> Ofcourse you can also use PM beforehand to prepare the partitions.
    >>

    >
    > Inspiron 4100 here running Knoppix/Debian. All's fine except the usual
    > dicky wifi via Intel miniPCI scavenged from a dead Fujitsu Centrino.
    > Everything else configures just dandy.
    >


    hi!

    it's a good idea to try out your hardware with some live-in distro. i have
    tried knoppix and kanotix and both runs 100% on my laptop acer 8006. both
    will find all my hardware. i have installed suse10 on one of my tabletops
    and kanotix on another. suse10 runs on my laptop (at the moment).
    wlan, bluetooth, dvd modem ethernet everything runs fine:-)

    cheers,
    christine

  9. Re: New laptop/Linux

    christine wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
    >>
    >>>DigitalHighway wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    >>>>Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    >>>>regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    >>>>confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    >>>>Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake) is a
    >>>>good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    >>>>more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    >>>>version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
    >>>>Jordan
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Fedora Core 4. This is the
    >>>"Community" version of RedHat. Fedora (or RH) doesn't come with a lot of
    >>>multimedia support, ie. no mp3 or dvd decoders (for legal reasons).
    >>>Luckily the livna (rpm.livna.org) repository has all the additional
    >>>packages you need. RedHat has turned into an Ģenterpriseģ distro these
    >>>days. It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. RedHat
    >>>also has a long life-cycle, so if you want to always have the latest and
    >>>greatest, you'd better coose something else. Fedora is pretty much up to
    >>>date. Because the building blocks of RedHat is GPL they have to release
    >>>the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros
    >>>like White Box, Centos and others, which in effect is RedHat without
    >>>logos, trademarks, commercial support and licence fee.
    >>>
    >>>For a laptop wifi-support is also likely to be of importance. With my
    >>>broadcom card I have to use ndiswrapper (available from livna).
    >>>Ndiswrapper is a way to facilitate native windows drivers under linux.
    >>>
    >>>So, all in all, FC4 + Livna is pretty ok, but you need to manually set
    >>>up a few things. Not difficult though ...
    >>>
    >>>Many people recommend the Debian based Ubuntu distro, which supposedly
    >>>has good wifi support. Mandriva is also known to have exellent hardware
    >>>support. Suse I haven't tried.
    >>>
    >>>When it comes to partitioning, the normal procedure is to set up
    >>>partitions during installation using tools built into the setup program.
    >>>Ofcourse you can also use PM beforehand to prepare the partitions.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Inspiron 4100 here running Knoppix/Debian. All's fine except the usual
    >>dicky wifi via Intel miniPCI scavenged from a dead Fujitsu Centrino.
    >>Everything else configures just dandy.
    >>

    >
    >
    > hi!
    >
    > it's a good idea to try out your hardware with some live-in distro. i have
    > tried knoppix and kanotix and both runs 100% on my laptop acer 8006. both
    > will find all my hardware. i have installed suse10 on one of my tabletops
    > and kanotix on another. suse10 runs on my laptop (at the moment).
    > wlan, bluetooth, dvd modem ethernet everything runs fine:-)
    >
    > cheers,
    > christine


    I've noticed that SuSE seems very well suited to laptops, particularly
    the wifi side of things. Looking into reinstalling this one with 9.3 at
    some point, and that'll be the last I see of Wintendo as a main platform
    on any of my kit.

  10. Re: New laptop/Linux

    Jim wrote:
    > christine wrote:
    >
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> DigitalHighway wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Hi. I have some questions about linux. I just bought a Dell Laptop
    >>>>> Model Inspiron 6000. I am using Windows XP pro. I am a beginner in
    >>>>> regards to my knowledge of Linux. I want a dual boot system and I am
    >>>>> confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. I plan to use
    >>>>> Parition Magic 8 to create the partions. I heard RedHat(mandrake)
    >>>>> is a
    >>>>> good place to start. But, I hear Debian is a great version also but
    >>>>> more advanced. Any suggestions for installing, choosing the right
    >>>>> version or any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks
    >>>>> Jordan
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 running Fedora Core 4. This is the
    >>>> "Community" version of RedHat. Fedora (or RH) doesn't come with a
    >>>> lot of
    >>>> multimedia support, ie. no mp3 or dvd decoders (for legal reasons).
    >>>> Luckily the livna (rpm.livna.org) repository has all the additional
    >>>> packages you need. RedHat has turned into an Ģenterpriseģ distro these
    >>>> days. It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. RedHat
    >>>> also has a long life-cycle, so if you want to always have the latest
    >>>> and
    >>>> greatest, you'd better coose something else. Fedora is pretty much
    >>>> up to
    >>>> date. Because the building blocks of RedHat is GPL they have to release
    >>>> the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros
    >>>> like White Box, Centos and others, which in effect is RedHat without
    >>>> logos, trademarks, commercial support and licence fee.
    >>>>
    >>>> For a laptop wifi-support is also likely to be of importance. With my
    >>>> broadcom card I have to use ndiswrapper (available from livna).
    >>>> Ndiswrapper is a way to facilitate native windows drivers under linux.
    >>>>
    >>>> So, all in all, FC4 + Livna is pretty ok, but you need to manually set
    >>>> up a few things. Not difficult though ...
    >>>>
    >>>> Many people recommend the Debian based Ubuntu distro, which supposedly
    >>>> has good wifi support. Mandriva is also known to have exellent hardware
    >>>> support. Suse I haven't tried.
    >>>>
    >>>> When it comes to partitioning, the normal procedure is to set up
    >>>> partitions during installation using tools built into the setup
    >>>> program.
    >>>> Ofcourse you can also use PM beforehand to prepare the partitions.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Inspiron 4100 here running Knoppix/Debian. All's fine except the usual
    >>> dicky wifi via Intel miniPCI scavenged from a dead Fujitsu Centrino.
    >>> Everything else configures just dandy.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> hi!
    >>
    >> it's a good idea to try out your hardware with some live-in distro. i
    >> have
    >> tried knoppix and kanotix and both runs 100% on my laptop acer 8006. both
    >> will find all my hardware. i have installed suse10 on one of my tabletops
    >> and kanotix on another. suse10 runs on my laptop (at the moment).
    >> wlan, bluetooth, dvd modem ethernet everything runs fine:-)
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> christine

    >
    >
    > I've noticed that SuSE seems very well suited to laptops, particularly
    > the wifi side of things. Looking into reinstalling this one with 9.3 at
    > some point, and that'll be the last I see of Wintendo as a main platform
    > on any of my kit.

    addendum: Knoppix has a QEMU edition out, v3.6b, that runs in a window.
    You get about 50% of the speed, but there again you don't even need to
    reboot to use it. It also runs standalone as a live CD.

+ Reply to Thread